Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello buddies.

Well I've late noticing my eng sounding different. More drony then normal. Also today I've noticed that my temp gauge was a lil higher than normal. I used my hidden evic menu and my eng temp was 199. I've used it before and no matter what I did or have on(a/c,heater) it NEVER went pass 194. I also notice that I can't burn rubber from a stop. Used to be able just to floor and burn none stop at least the whole intersection.

What I've done in the past month::

ChAnged thermostat gasket. ( don't remember which way the hole was pointing on tstat)
Will that cAuse a problem.
Removed and reinstalled cat back exhaust due to it being pulled out ( by wife) on a steep driveway. It pulled out from high flow cars outlet.
My front right wheel well ripped off taking my abs sensor with so now my dash looks like Christmas tree. ( was still able to burn out after this)

Checked codes and nothing.
I'm scared lol.
Also I can light up tires power braking it

Please help. Just bought under drive pulley and gonna be scared to install. Lol

Did I drop a valve seat?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I will go back to 194 when I cruze but as soon as I floor it it spikes up to 199. But fans are coming on.
Also SoCal weather has been 95-100degrees

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The higher temps certainly will make the temp rise. As for not being able to "burn rubber", have you tried to reset all of your adaptives? I assume you have a Predator...

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
If you dropped a valve seat you wouldn't be running pal! So don't worry about that one...

With the ambient temps outside being that hot your car is going to run hot either way, soon as you get over 192-194 range your car is starting to suffer from KR and is likely pulling timing to rectify, it will make your car sluggish... all Hemi powered cars are sensitive to heat above the 195 range in spite of having a Tstat from factory well above! What Tstat do you have in it, from the way you describe temps it sounds like a 180...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have a 180. I replaced my tstat gasket and I don't think I put the nipple at 12oclock. What damage will this cause??? Also how can I reset adaptives???? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
None but it may run warm or possibly over heat... pull it and rotate it to 12... use predator, intune or trinity to reset adaptives in the transmission quick adjust menu...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
similar to mine....and I suspect a broken exhaust manifold (header) stud or a broken flange bolt near the cat (I cant tell which - my car is in a bodyshop so I cant look)

I ran a dyno recently & my power was 50HP down, plus my emissions were off on the annual test last month. The car produces a raucous engine noise accelerating up VERY steep hills (like a tinny vibration/ hole in the exhaust), but at no other time.
I think I banged a cutout on a raised bit of road, which fits in with your wife dragging your exhaust

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've noticed that^^^ it's act/feel very wierd going up a hill/ on ramp to freeway

But what I can't explain is why my temp goes up when I floor it but eventually drops back down. Never did this before. Can it be water pump weak and can't circulate water when eng high revs???
I'm going to do a full service on her in the the next month or so. Spark plugs, trans service, coolant flush. But this weekend I'm going to double check my tstat to make sure it's at 12 o'clock which I doubt if I remember correctly.

Thanks agian guys for all your helps.
The more ideas the better. This is my daily.
Oh yeah she has only 51k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Check your fan settings? Depending on where they are you may want to lower them. When I was running a 185 degree thermostat I had the hi-speed on at about 192. I run a 176 degree one now; no heat problems ever. (Thanks again EricG)!

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Try and keep ten degrees between low and high to have the right amount of overlap...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody in SoCal can let me know how hot and and what degrees do you guys have your fan settings??? Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't give a shit what temp he's running. An SRT should lay rubber no matter what!! It's not the stat or the fan settings. Something else is going on.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I don't give a shit what temp he's running. An SRT should lay rubber no matter what!! It's not the stat or the fan settings. Something else is going on.
Actually a heat soaked Hemi in 100 deg heat with the a/c on, good hot rubber and red hot blacktop...I don't agree. ANY car will feel different and sluggish on a muggy 95 deg day compared to a cool one. It's quite possible that if we are judging a cars performance on the 'rubber laying' ability that the heat could impose it...this is a 425hp car, not a 600hp car...

It does sound like something is going on yes, but first off go to the simple stuff, check fan settings, ensure they are right and if you don't know if you installed your stat right them that merits a check anyway. After that I would reload your tune and reset additives, if it's still no good focus on the pile of lights on your dash, who knows what your pcm is being told...not saying it is, but it could be related...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Actually a heat soaked Hemi in 100 deg heat with the a/c on, good hot rubber and red hot blacktop...I don't agree. ANY car will feel different and sluggish on a muggy 95 deg day compared to a cool one. It's quite possible that if we are judging a cars performance on the 'rubber laying' ability that the heat could impose it...this is a 425hp car, not a 600hp car...

It does sound like something is going on yes, but first off go to the simple stuff, check fan settings, ensure they are right and if you don't know if you installed your stat right them that merits a check anyway. After that I would reload your tune and reset additives, if it's still no good focus on the pile of lights on your dash, who knows what your pcm is being told...not saying it is, but it could be related...

Yea, I get all that. But with my '06 SRT, with or without the Predator, and the related fan setting changes, I was always able to light them up, even in the middle of summer here in MD, which would easily reach 95 and humid. Without the fan changes the car would run 220+ in traffic.....

I completely agree that a big change is noticeable with any car as the temps rise/fall. Just wondering if there's something else at play with his car........

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Yea, I get all that. But with my '06 SRT, with or without the Predator, and the related fan setting changes, I was always able to light them up, even in the middle of summer here in MD, which would easily reach 95 and humid. Without the fan changes the car would run 220+ in traffic.....

I completely agree that a big change is noticeable with any car as the temps rise/fall. Just wondering if there's something else at play with his car........
Oh I agree as well, it's weird...I'm trying to figure out what it could be with it, but I have this nagging feeling the abs sensor might have something going on... I know it shouldn't but it seems like he's having a power reduction for some reason, like limp mode but not so aggressive... it's a weird one...just think I'd check all the easy boxes first then move on to trickier things!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh I agree as well, it's weird...I'm trying to figure out what it could be with it, but I have this nagging feeling the abs sensor might have something going on... I know it shouldn't but it seems like he's having a power reduction for some reason, like limp mode but not so aggressive... it's a weird one...just think I'd check all the easy boxes first then move on to trickier things!

Yup, me too.

Maybe the OP can try to test the car first thing in the am, before the heat?

I still seriously doubt that engine temps are the answer here?.......As silver06hemic suggested, maybe a tranny/abs related issue?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So last two days it's gone into full limp mode. Pull over restart car and it's fine. Also this morning on my way to work I pulled over on freeway and reset tranny adaptive. Drive it like a bat out of hell and so far so good. Also It still gets around 200 degrees when I floor it but then when I get to cruising it drops back to 192-195ish. So am I just over thinking it. Also I do have brand new tires as of March. Nitto 420s. Also don't get me wrong it will still burn rubber on command and a traffic light it just only burns like 5 feet when it used to go the whole intersection. Again I do have brand new tires. So sorry if I'm asking or over thinking this. Just love this car and wanted her to be ok. Lol. I'm at work now so after work I'm gonna smash on freeway and see how she acts. But I do feel a change after reseting trans. Also what's that throttle reset. Something like pump the pedal before you start??? And maybe after I install under drive pulley I'll go back to burning the whole intersection with new tires. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts