Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys, i took my srt8 in to shop to get air ride installed. They are a high end porsche/bmw/mercedes shop and have been around for 30 years so i assumed they would be good to go.

So after looking at car/kit (from UAS btw), i was told over the phone it would take 20 hours or so labor time. I've read UAS's posts about install and they saying it would take about 3 days so that was right in line. Got a call today saying they are goin on 32 hours and they weren't done and would be another 3 or 4 hours. That works out to an additonal $1500 extra in labor.

What can i do about this? I have nothing in writing for a quote, i understand 4 even 5 hours on top of this but 15 hours extra? Whats your guys thoughts on this? Owner says he's willing to negotiate with me to keep me as happy customer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Did they call to tell you that they were going to need an extra 15 hours of labor over the quote they gave you? Usually you agree to have the service performed and they tell you how long it will be and about how much it is going to run you. They have manuals that specify how long a certain repair or install should take and charge you based on that, regardless on how long it actually takes them. If they hit a snag that they had to figure out since they don't do many mopars they should have let you know before they went any further. Then you could tell them to either stop because you can't afford any more right now or to continue.

However, it sounds like they are pretty much done so you can either tell them that is way too much to pay and demand they take it out, you tell them you were quoted 20 hours over the phone and went in under that agreement and since they didn't bother to tell you they need to eat it, or you try and deal with the shop so they don't eat that extra work and you can go back there if you have any problems or want something else done.

·
Registered
469 Posts
dude. they're coming. backorder.

just to let you know, you are probably like the 80th person to tell me to get rims, either on the forums or in person.

here they are:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they call to tell you that they were going to need an extra 15 hours of labor over the quote they gave you? Usually you agree to have the service performed and they tell you how long it will be and about how much it is going to run you. They have manuals that specify how long a certain repair or install should take and charge you based on that, regardless on how long it actually takes them. If they hit a snag that they had to figure out since they don't do many mopars they should have let you know before they went any further. Then you could tell them to either stop because you can't afford any more right now or to continue.

However, it sounds like they are pretty much done so you can either tell them that is way too much to pay and demand they take it out, you tell them you were quoted 20 hours over the phone and went in under that agreement and since they didn't bother to tell you they need to eat it, or you try and deal with the shop so they don't eat that extra work and you can go back there if you have any problems or want something else done.
They called me today to say they were at 32 hours, not before this mentioning anything regarding extra labor needed, they were already that far along.... I dropped it off last wednesday, so i figured they were just busy. I actually went to the shop the day before that and they told me nothing either. I don't care to go back there, im just wondering if they will try and keep my vehicle or call collection agency or something.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If they didn't tell you prior to them taking more time that they needed more time, then you should not be responsible for the extra labor hours needed to finish the job. If you had an agreement before the labor started on X number of dollars per X number of labor hours then that is the ONLY amount you should have to pay unless agreed upon between you and them prior to the latter part of the installation.

Don't back down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they didn't tell you prior to them taking more time that they needed more time, then you should not be responsible for the extra labor hours needed to finish the job. If you had an agreement before the labor started on X number of dollars per X number of labor hours then that is the ONLY amount you should have to pay unless agreed upon between you and them prior to the latter part of the installation.

Don't back down.
Is there anything LEGALLY they can do? Aka, not release my vehicle, collection agency etc. Nothing has been signed by myself, only thing was verbal 20 hour agreement

·
Registered
683 Posts
They may refuse to give you your keys for failure to pay for services rendered. And they probably can do that legally. One option is to just write them a check get your car and then cancel the check if they won't deal with you to reduce the bill because they went over on labor. Your problem is that they told you this over the phone and you don't have an estimate in writing as I understand it. So it would be hard to win in civil court I would imagine since it is your word against their's. I would just stand my ground and get them to reduce the cost as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Yeah - or at least insist that you split the difference.

Eric

·
Registered
128 Posts
Those guys are jacking you, air ride should cost 500-750 to install. That'a what my buddy got charged in LA and 750 here in SD

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Is there anything LEGALLY they can do? Aka, not release my vehicle, collection agency etc. Nothing has been signed by myself, only thing was verbal 20 hour agreement
They can in theory impose a mechanics lein. I had a similar thing occur with a shop but I got sick of dealing with them that I just paid em off just to be done with it.

I would call the manager and say that the time agreed upon for this work was 20 hours (which is VERY generious to begin with). If he is a taint contact a lawyer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blah, im a sucker and they musta saw me coming. Ended up Paying for 30 hours labor. My own fault for being in a rush and they were available to start right away. Lesson learnt :(

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just chalk it up as an expensive learning experience.

Usually, I drop the whole my father is an attorney speech. (which he is) ((but you can use it even if you don't have a relative who's a lawyer))

:fing02:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts