Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having engine temperature issues which drive me crazy. I've allready been to the dealer several times and they checked everything. All the checkpoints come out ok. So far they found nothing. The do see thsat something goes wrong but they haven't a clue why this happens and just leave me with a problem car....
This is what happens:

Everything seems to be normal while driving an then the following happens. The temperature drops 30 degrees celcius to 63 degrees and then it climbs within seconds to 123 degrees celcius. At that point it starts pushing coolant in the overflowtank until it's full and it starts pushing coolant out. The only way to continue driving is to stop the car immediately and let it cool off. The refill the lost coolant and continue driving. This will be no problem for about 30 to 60 minutes and than the temperature drops and everything starts all over.....

DOes anybody recognise this behaviour and knows how to solve this ????

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I can not say that I've heard that,but have you had the T-stat replaced?

Reactions: Jewel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thermostat, temperature sensor are both replaced. pressure in the coolingsystem is ok. radiator is also ok.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Hmmmm . . . this is a head scratcher.

It could be something that is intermittently blocking coolant flow. Possibly a hose that is collapsing then expanding again.

I would start with the large lower rad hose. It is probably due for replacement (cheap and easy). do not reuse the clamp. Put on a proper screw down clamp.

Might as well replace the upper rad hose, while you are at it. See if that solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Just so you know... I had two faulty replacement tstats in a row... It sounds like a sticky thermostat for sure, could be a bad replacement? If not then this is a very strange issue... Hmmm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
X2^^I had a faulty t stat first swap as well....worth a try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to mention that as soon as the temperature starts to rise after the temperature falldown the heater gives cold air when it should be hot as hell.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
Sounds like a lower hose that is collapsing. That blocks flow into the radiator which stops flow throughout the system.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yup, I'm voting collapsed or otherwise obstructed hose as well.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
forgot to mention that as soon as the temperature starts to rise after the temperature falldown the heater gives cold air when it should be hot as hell.
Yep that changes things a bit... Sounds like it could be a collapsed hose as maddog and peter said... If there is no flow to the heater that would be a good indicator. If it was another dodgy stat it should still have heat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
getting less frustrated already :)

mmm....collapsing hose sounds very logical to me........'bout the only thing that could explain all the things going wrong so far. Gonna swap one or more hoses over the weekend. I'll let you know how things are coming monday or tuesday. Thanks so far... you've been a great help.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
....uh, we'll I'm going with a collapsed hose as well!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just pick up the two larger hoses and be done with it. If it still pulls the same crap after that, seriously consider driving it into a brick wall :09:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
solved

i replaced both tubes and had some problems after that. Finally had the time to do a proper refill of the coolant. And now i'm finally problem free/ no overheating. So thanks guys for the good advice.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Awesome! Glad you got it all sorted out.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
There is an Avatar in this thread that compels you to keep looking at it,
or is it just me?

If you can't work it out then you can have 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Anyone wondering, this hasn't gone off topic cause its in the Trouble Shooting section and Rob is trying to Trouble Shoot.
But on the first 2 attempts has failed miserably.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts