Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OBD II Bluetooth interface & Torque app are reporting error codes P0672 and P0676.

I'm curious that two glowplugs are apparently causing problems. Does anyone know the wiring arrangement from the relays (ie: have I lost a relay that's killed two plugs?).

Also, Torque can't clear the errors - has anyone else managed to clear them?

On a more basic note, do the connectors to the glowplugs just pull off, or is there a locking catch mechanism?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The workshop manual states that "there are two relays which each power two glowplugs", however, this only accounts for 4 out of 6 plugs. Strange.

The manual makes reference to electrical disconnection without stating any specific procedure, so I suppose you'd just have to inspect and work out how its done.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
To get a good idea what ones are not working, I firstly check to see they are getting power when you turn the ignition on (be quick coz its only live for a short period). Then once I know they are getting power I remove the wire from the top of each glow plug then with a power probe or length of wire from a good positive source (battery terminal or jump start point) touch the 12v+ to the terminal on top of the glow plug (where the wires were and not the body of it) if it sparks each time you brush or touch the terminal with the + probe/wire it'll usually be a good glow plug. If you get no spark the glow plug is not working.

I know your suppose to use a test tool to see what power they are drawing over a certain length of time but its never failed me yet and I have done hundreds this way :wink:

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
that first part doesn't work on some cars....some cars the glowplugs don't even switch on unless the outside temp drops below about 4 deg,the best way is to take them out and test them on a 12v battery,they should start glowing and within 4 seconds become red hot,if they don't glow then obviously it's f00ked...lol

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
that first part doesn't work on some cars....some cars the glowplugs don't even switch on unless the outside temp drops below about 4 deg,the best way is to take them out and test them on a 12v battery,they should start glowing and within 4 seconds become red hot,if they don't glow then obviously it's f00ked...lol
Yeah your right but you can still check the plugs themselves the way I mention to get a damn good idea if they are dead without the risk of snapping them off in the head trying to remove them. :wink:

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
and that's another reason why I don't like diesels..........lol.
I had to do glowplugs on a V6 Audi last week...I stopped after the 2nd one,it started to pick up on the thread,told the customer that now he only has 2 working (the ones I replaced)and I could get the rest done but at the risk of knackering the cyl heads,so we left it at that due to the risk and cost

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
and that's another reason why I don't like diesels..........lol.
I had to do glowplugs on a V6 Audi last week...I stopped after the 2nd one,it started to pick up on the thread,told the customer that now he only has 2 working (the ones I replaced)and I could get the rest done but at the risk of knackering the cyl heads,so we left it at that due to the risk and cost
Thats the exact reason I test mine the way I do first, they can be a right pain in the ass lol.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
If I was testing the plugs I wouldn't just test Cyls 2 & 6 (Which are the ones throwing up the codes).
I would check all 6.
I do not trust Chrysler at all, they seem to just wire or programme equipment just to get things working and then fail to update thier technical info.

Codes have identified cylinders 2 & 6 glow plug problems but could they could have got the identification wrong.

Jack

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, I'm confident with the electronics, but mechanical things I worry about breaking! So how do you get those little grey connectors off the glowplugs!! My fingers aren't small enough to get a grip and pliers just start to crush the connector before any upward action happens.

My plan - following Jack's philosophy - was to test all those on one side (2,4,6) and compare results. Do dealers have a natty tool that lifts the connectors from the bottom? I even thought about starting at the other end of the wiring and using the connections from the control module - but that's inaccessible without removing another black lump in front of it!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I measured the resistance of the glowplugs and used Simon's technique to see if they were drawing current. 6 was dead, 2 was a bit suspect. Booked it in to the dealer for them to confirm and they agreed - replacing 2 and 6. I supplied my own NGK glowplugs (around a third of the dealer price) and all error codes have cleared. Thanks for the assistance from all who commented.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replaced glowplug 4 myself the other day (once I'd found a socket slim enough to fit in the tight space!) but Torque still sees the error code. Do glowplug codes clear after so many starts? If so, how many?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Replaced glowplug 4 myself the other day (once I'd found a socket slim enough to fit in the tight space!) but Torque still sees the error code. Do glowplug codes clear after so many starts? If so, how many?
I assume Torque App wont clear the code then?

Assuming the code thrown up was relating to the glow plug you,ve changed I assume code will clear itself after a few starts. Not so sure at this time of year though because glow plug circuit would never be switching plugs on.

I assume code will clear even though plugs are not needed, but you never know, it may need cold weather before code will clear ? Only a guess

Jack

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume Torque App wont clear the code then?

Assuming the code thrown up was relating to the glow plug you,ve changed I assume code will clear itself after a few starts. Not so sure at this time of year though because glow plug circuit would never be switching plugs on.

I assume code will clear even though plugs are not needed, but you never know, it may need cold weather before code will clear ? Only a guess

Jack
No, Torque won't clear them. It talks about "grey" codes that are cleared after N good starts.

I have a P0046 which is "stuck" as well, but suspect that might have been associated with my swirl failure.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts