Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
With that large of a recall and a lost of more than a $B for the 1st quarter it seems that a smaller GM may be in order.

If they don't do something fast it will be Oh what a feelin' Toyota/GM!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
AWD_BLUES said:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/25/Autos/gm_recall/index.htm?cnn=yes

If GM keeps up crap like this and making defective cars constantly and not learning from their mistakes (or maybe its just corporate arrogance), they'll likely meet the analyst predictions that they WILL be thee one of the "big three" american car makers that'll be closing shop in the next 5-10 years or sooner.
Poor GM, they sound like MB who spent a billion dollars in 03 on warranty repairs, lets not get too smug, have you seen all those TSBs for our beloved 300? Lexus and arguably Acura come closest to perfection, but there is no fun in that, I love Alfas not b/c of their reliability but thier passion.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Poor GM, they sound like MB who spent a billion dollars in 03 on warranty repairs, lets not get too smug, have you seen all those TSBs for our beloved 300? Lexus and arguably Acura come closest to perfection, but there is no fun in that, I love Alfas not b/c of their reliability but thier passion.
How true how true! They are already hedging future losses by dropping down from 7/70!

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Sorry but your post doesn't make GM look any better or any worse.

You wanna talk about the 2million trucks that were recalled by Chrysler (Mine was one) for defective upper ball joints and other various emissions problems?

Not to stick up for GM, they're pissing me off too (loyal GM owner) but recalls are standard.

Now if it was a BUY BACK of 2m, that IS a problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
vvv90,

Auto manufactures will have their recalls but recalls and a billion+ dollar lost in 3 months?
The bean counters and management need to get their heads out of their 'cough'....

·
Registered
332 Posts
What u are about to read might go against what people think. But the facts are true.
People say GM might slowly disappear from top three or they might completely become dead. If u still think about it u are truely wrong. GM has shown outstanding profits for many many many years. GM's priority is not just making cars, they have various other business as well as electrical and satellite business and many many more. I have a good friend that works in gm that informed me all this bad talk on gm is true but also there is a lot of enlarged(dragged) media hype. They consider this a minor setback and they continue to move further. I am also loyal GM owner before i worked for chrysler. I can guarantee even in the next 10 years the top three will not disappear. Listening to media is not always the answer(in some cases).

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
tekhen said:
vvv90,

Auto manufactures will have their recalls but recalls and a billion+ dollar lost in 3 months?
The bean counters and management need to get their heads out of their 'cough'....

I'm not saying GM isn't headed for trouble, but it's not because of recalls, it's because of poor business practices and their unwillingness to give customers vehicles that they really want.

http://www.crash-worthiness.com/chrysler/news.html

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/industry-news/chrysler-recalls-minivans-039752.php

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/chrysler_minivan_airbags.html

http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_Recalls/CHRYSLER_Recalls.asp

I'm not trying to create a "who recalls more" arguement, but considering Chrysler is doing well, recalls don't have as much to do with GM's doomed future.

·
Registered
351 Posts
vvv90 said:
I'm not saying GM isn't headed for trouble, but it's not because of recalls, it's because of poor business practices and their unwillingness to give customers vehicles that they really want.

I'm not trying to create a "who recalls more" arguement, but considering Chrysler is doing well, recalls don't have as much to do with GM's doomed future.
Agreed!!

I think its a 'when it rain, it pours' situation for GM.
Any problem(s) is magnified due to the issues which you have stated.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
tekhen said:
Agreed!!

I think its a 'when it rain, it pours' situation for GM.
Any problem(s) is magnified due to the issues which you have stated.
Yes, it seems that way, but when Wall Street hears things about recalls they blow them out of proporation and it affects the stock values to common shareholders across the board. If the stock was rising you wouldn't hear the financial press about this, but bad news feeds more bad news. Oh well, GM needs to wake up and let the individual talent of auto designer create the market instead of panels and marketing people. The only thing panels and marketers are good at doing is determing existing (aging) trends, instead of having balls and CREATING new ones like Ford and Chrysler are doing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
300CAWD said:
What u are about to read might go against what people think. But the facts are true.
People say GM might slowly disappear from top three or they might completely become dead. If u still think about it u are truely wrong. GM has shown outstanding profits for many many many years. GM's priority is not just making cars, they have various other business as well as electrical and satellite business and many many more. I have a good friend that works in gm that informed me all this bad talk on gm is true but also there is a lot of enlarged(dragged) media hype. They consider this a minor setback and they continue to move further. I am also loyal GM owner before i worked for chrysler. I can guarantee even in the next 10 years the top three will not disappear. Listening to media is not always the answer(in some cases).

it's not the media.. it's the numbers.
1) 1million+ and growing on benefits w/ the growing price in healthcare.
2) a stock price that is very close to its 52 week low. analyst putting it at junk bond status
3) $1,000,000,000+ lost in 3 months...thats one biliion dollars!!!
4) The management shuffle at the very top

If a restructure isn't in place soon althoug GM stock had been strong a few years back they can fall. Can you say Enron...had a lot of cash but management screwed up.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
300CAWD said:
We should have a stock tip thread, anyone who considers this a minor set back may also consider it a golden opportunity to buy GM stock :eek: . I agree GM is here to stay and will probably be strong in 10 years, I am NOT willing to bet any investment money on it or any other automaker. GM going out of business would be like GE or Exxon going belly up. Whoda thunk MCI would go out or the huge German electronics/phone giant Telefunken going out as well. If not for Caddy, GM would have no respect at all. When is the last time Toyota or Honda recalled 2 million cars.
oh FYI, ebay is also near a 52 week low.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We should have a stock tip thread, anyone who considers this a minor set back may also consider it a golden opportunity to buy GM stock :eek: . I agree GM is here to stay and will probably be strong in 10 years, I am NOT willing to bet any investment money on it or any other automaker. GM going out of business would be like GE or Exxon going belly up. Whoda thunk MCI would go out or the huge German electronics/phone giant Telefunken going out as well. If not for Caddy, GM would have no respect at all. When is the last time Toyota or Honda recalled 2 million cars.
IIK,

it could happen!
GE is a different beast... a more diversified company.
Finance..Medical Systems..Energy & Industrial Systems..Aircraft Engines and not to mention a hell of a R&D group. When one group slides there is usually another to prop it up.

Exxon was hurting until Mobil gave them a shot of cash a few years back.

Many of GMs other companies also seemed to be mismanaged at this time.
I hope that in time they will turn it around but it seems that some management cuts as well as a few sell offs need to be done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Also,

When is the last time that toyota or honda put together has sold as many cars as GM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
vvv90 said:
Sorry but your post doesn't make GM look any better or any worse.

You wanna talk about the 2million trucks that were recalled by Chrysler (Mine was one) for defective upper ball joints and other various emissions problems?

Not to stick up for GM, they're pissing me off too (loyal GM owner) but recalls are standard.

Now if it was a BUY BACK of 2m, that IS a problem.

Well, 2 million trucks recalled doesn't have any bearing on my 300C - its apples and oranges. The 300C is a german-american car built by a team at the Bramtpon Assembly Plant that seems to actually take pride in their work based on the vibe in their forums. I wouldn't buy a Chrysler truck, or any american truck. I'd buy a fullsize Toyota or Nissan truck if I needed a truck for something. The ONLY reason Chrysler got my business on the 300C is because of its styling and engineering for the money. Chrysler entire product line minus the 300's just blows (except maybe the Pacifica if I was in the minivan market - styling is on the good side of borderline, and I wish its motorized rear hatch would've been on the 300C!).

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Good point AWD, Toyota and Honda have sold many millions of cars over the last ten years but true, not nearly as many as GM. With all of Gm's experience building so many cars they should be better, LOL, my brother is getting rid of his 05 Caravan because of numerous problems, funny, the guys that invented the minivan have the most experience and build the worst product.

·
Registered
116 Posts
vvv90 said:
<snip>The only thing panels and marketers are good at doing is determing existing (aging) trends, instead of having balls and CREATING new ones like Ford and Chrysler are doing.
By the way, what's Ford created lately? The 500? ZZZzzzzzzzz........ that's one three digit number that no one in the halls at Ford here in Irvine likes to utter when I've visited them on consulting calls. The mustang? Snore.

No doubt the automakers have seen the 300's success and the design rooms are buzzing with "me-too" retro muscle cars since some time now, which we'll no doubt be seeing within the next 12 months.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
joeSRT8 said:
Well, 2 million trucks recalled doesn't have any bearing on my 300C - its apples and oranges.
Please don't quote me if you're not going to understand what I'm saying. If go back to the beginning of this thread and read every post you'll understand that you're making the exact point I'm making.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
joeSRT8 said:
By the way, what's Ford created lately? The 500? ZZZzzzzzzzz........
I agree, but it's a replacement of the Taurus, and a better one at that. How's the Cobalt, G6, and Lacrosse doing???? (again, my point was about Ford/Chrysler vs. GM)

The mustang? Snore.
LOL....You're kidding right? ok, so I get your opinion and you have a right too it. I never liked Mustangs (barring pre-'67) until this year. It certainly doesn't mean the other 200k purchasers this year will share your opinion. Seriously, let's put this objectively. The Mustang is one of THE most successful passenger car out.

And besides the Corvette what is GM doing that's exciting???? Their concepts have been less than thrilling. The SS was cool, the SSR is also cool (Way overpriced) but at least Ford had some pretty awesome concepts that have been made into a reality. GT, Shelby (Daisy) and now the GTSR?? (It's the Daytona coupe concept, not sure if I got the name right) This shows and exciting direction for Ford. What has GM done lately???

No doubt the automakers have seen the 300's success and the design rooms are buzzing with "me-too" retro muscle cars since some time now, which we'll no doubt be seeing within the next 12 months.
The PT and Prowler are retro, and even charger....But I don't know if I'd consider the 300. Even if the grill and headlights sorta resemble the early model. Maybe I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts