1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TCC Blog » Blog Archive » 2011 Chrysler 300 Sticks With Rear-Drive

TheCarConnection said:
2011 Chrysler 300 Sticks With Rear-Drive

New fuel-economy regulations are threatening to kill off a whole generation of new, rear-drive vehicles planned by a handful of manufacturers. But at one company, the mainstay rear-drive sedan is sticking around–mainly because there’s no budget to change its orientation.
TheCarConnection.com has learned that Chrysler’s plans for its large 300/Charger sedans include a major makeover for the 2011 model year. But while Chrysler’s new managers have been dropping hints about the future of the HEMI engine, there’s not much they can do about the rear-drive layout of the big sedans.
A switch to front-wheel drive could improve the fuel economy of the sedans, but reports to TCC say that there’s no money set aside to make the switch to front-wheel drive. The Canadian plant where the 300/Charger and new Challenger are built formerly was outfitted to build front-drive sedans, back when the plant produced the Chrysler “LH” cars in the early 2000s.
The revamp in the works for the early part of the next decade will be fairly substantial. Chrysler is said to have decided that a bold styling statement is critical to the lineup’s sales success–but certain features of the car, like its low roofline, will change to give the cars a more updated look.

so it looks like these cars will stay RWD for a while, with a major facelift coming in 2011...but with a higher roofline, getting rid of the gunslit windows? i dont want the car to have an "updated" look, thats why i wanted this car! because it didnt look like the rolling green houses that everyone else was making. i guess well see.

it sucks that Chrysler is only keeping these things RWD because they cant afford a FWD platform at the moment. that means to me that if they were doing better financially, the 2011 300C could be a FWD 280HP vanilla sedan like the impala.

i dont understand how the germans can make EVERYTHING rear wheel drive and meet these CAFE standards, and we have to stick with FWD. now that ive had it, i dont want to go back to FWD, its RWD or AWD.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wait...

Listen...

Is that the 70's coming around the corner?

Does anyone else remember the slew of vehicles covered in Weak Sauce that came from that era????

Thanks CAFE... But, No Thanks.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Large 4 door passenger sedans do not work well as front wheel drive vehicles.

Almost every quality Japanese or European room 4 door sedan uses the RWD layout. While FWD can save some weight, it gives up way too much in handling, braking, comfort and long term durability.

The 1980's became the dark ages of the autoworld, when almost everything became a FWD Jellybean.

Long live the Chrysler 300!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Large 4 door passenger sedans do not work well as front wheel drive vehicles.

Almost every quality Japanese or European room 4 door sedan uses the RWD layout. While FWD can save some weight, it gives up way too much in handling, braking, comfort and long term durability.

The 1980's became the dark ages of the autoworld, when almost everything became a FWD Jellybean.

Long live the Chrysler 300!

good point Pat. God remember the Tarus. Lincoln with the Mark VII (looked like a gloified Thunderbird, and the 80's Continental. I think out of those two that the continental may have been front wheel V6, but I can't remember. God I know that car was awful looking. Man, give me the old boat Lincolns wiht the port hole window LOL, it was such a radical departure.

And Chrylser, even going back not too long ago with the 300M.

I hope they keep the overall design of the car. I think it looks great

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Guys!! :)

I was surprised to read all of that. I had no idea that Chrysler would go back to making K-CARS if they had the money. Sheesh.

You know something? 2011 is a long time away. Maybe it's time Chrysler offered the CRD Diesel engine in their LX cars. I mean DO SOMETHING!! Don't just sit there and watch the LX cars die a slow, painful death.

And update the look by getting rid of the low roofline? Sure. Why not. I mean why stand out and be unique. In fact - just copy the Toyota Avalon and disappear completely.

Craig!! :pat:

·
Registered
408 Posts
From the looks of the article I figure that a 2010 Hemi is in order for me as it may be the last of the wonderful 300's. What do I do after that?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Why in tarnations would you raise the roof? The fricken car is PERFECT the way it is.. Part of the reason the car has sold so well is that it looks like a production , concept car! Why look like every other vanilla bean on the roads?

As for fuel efficiency... Add two more valves per cylinder (still OHV not OHC) and bump up the aggresiveness of MDS. Move it from 10% to 30% throttle position, I could live with it.. Just give us a button to temporarily override it!

There is no reason these cars couldn't get better fuel economy even with just tweaking the agressiveness of the MDS electronics. Hell my vette's all got 30MPG when I wasn't on the loud pedal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
might i mention as well... have u ever seen a fast front wheel drive car? ie... a race car, or funny car, or drag car, or nascar? no, all wheel drive.... my dad made that point to me... all fast cars/race cars have always been rear wheel drive

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
might i mention as well... have u ever seen a fast front wheel drive car? ie... a race car, or funny car, or drag car, or nascar? no, all wheel drive.... my dad made that point to me... all fast cars/race cars have always been rear wheel drive
you gotta admit tho there are some brutally fast AWD cars out there. all the S and RS audis are a great example, STI, Evo. given they are rally cars really, but fast is fast.

but i agree, i wont want to ever go back to FWD. no more torque steer, no more wheel hop, dont go that route Chrysler, please.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Does a Taurus SHO qualify? If so, then yes. If not, then I guess not.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I'm out if they raise the roof to look like every other car out there. It says it will keep the ganster style, but have a raised roof.....the damn roof is what gave it the gangster style.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I had always hoped they'd make the windows a tiny bit smaller :X

With this kind of attitude, Chrysler will be dead before 2011 comes.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Yeah I agree with you OoT, if they take away what makes the vehicle special, they won't sell. A new day maybe, but a new decade? Time will tell!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree with all of you. It is that old addage if it's not broke don't fix it. I drove an 03 Buick, I bought it for my wife to drive to work. But she did not like it so we got her something else and I took the Lesabre. After driving it for six months, front wheel drive and 30mpg I hated it also. Besides, I had been drooling over the 300's for about a year, Finally I convinced my wife that I needed to trade the barge and get a Chysler 300. The first thing I liked about the car is the Chopped top look. As I had a chopped top cruiser when I was much younger. I liked the shape of the hood and grille. Well, you know the story. I had to have one and I don't want to see them changed just for change sake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are very fast FWD cars out there (I owned a turbo Civic.....don't go after me guys...I already sold it!!!!)......but nothing beats the feeling of power that comes from the rear wheels......I don't know how to describe it...I hope they stay for good....if not atleast I have one!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
The only reason Chrysler and others went the FWD route in the 80's was because they are cheaper to build. It was sold to us a "better" and "more efficient" etc. etc. etc. but that was never the case. It was always a case of being much easier and therefore cheaper to make cars that way.

Sure there is a place for FWD; in generic little transportation cars (like the '90 Honda Accord that transports me to work most days) it works just fine. And it's good in the snow. But there has NEVER been a true performance car, or sport sedan, that was worth a damn with FWD. The handling just doesn't feel natural, not to mention torque steer. Have you ever seen a FWD BMW sedan? or Mercedes Benz? You won't either. Even Honda, the KING of FWD, builds their performance cars (S2000 and Acura NSX) with RWD.

As far as the 300C, the Two reasons I bought mine (and had to have one the minute I saw the first picture of one) was the Styling and the fact I could get a big V8 and RWD. I had a Thunderbird SC and was planning to either rebuild it from the ground up, or replace it with a Mercury Maurauder; until I saw the Chrysler 300 in "Car & Driver" in late 2003. That sealed it for me. I really don't care what the "next" 300 looks like; I'm good for the next 15 years. After that I'm not tied to any brand or nameplate; if a Chrysler 300 is still a bad-a$$ looking car with RWD and lots of power, fine; if not I'll buy something else that is!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Chrysler should treat the 300 as Audi did the TT it's an iconic shape and make subtle changes to the vehicle model but still resemble the proceeding model. Look at the Bug it's an icon, and you can't really change the model much. You could actually turn off alot of consumers if you do a serious makeover.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I bet though, even if they made it only available with the 3.5L V6, and made it have huge boring windows, if it had a fancy interior with a stitched leather dash and super-organic shapes, a few of the chrysler interior haters around here would hump it and trade their cars in for one happily.

I'm so sick of this "not nice enough interior" briggade spreading around EVERY F-ING car forum, that I hope they make it cheaper. WHO GIVES A !>#!*%$)(#@% It's a car. As long as the plastics last, that's all I care, wtf good is a soft vinyl dash if it warps to hell and back after 5 years?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts