Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good video, only comments I'd make are

1 We have a one way valve mounted on the back of the block, which I would keep

2 The gunk will start to drop out of the gasses as soon as it leaves the engine and with the pipe having such a long run to the can AND sloping upwards, some of the gunk will drain back into the engine. The can should ideally be placed lower than breather exit from the engine and/or the pipe run shorter

3. With the can being so high there is a greater risk of the gunk being siphoned into the turbo inlet if the can was not emptied on a regular basis

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
I'm going to state some obvious things, just in case. If you install a catch can, check it and empty it on a regular basis. When you sell the car, be sure to let the buyer know about it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So all we need to do is.....
Match the size of the oem (original) pipe
And get it done.
I'm not 100% sure about over compression.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I think good idea is to have a sticker of the mileage when to drain it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Also I think good idea is to have a sticker of the mileage when to drain it.
Or just drain it every time you wash your car. Or every time you change the oil. Depending on how much oil your hemi burns.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a CRD
and do 5k miles per year

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So normal catch can with 15mm is not good enough. .......?

Reactions: Darylh

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
If you make the Ace you can have a close look at my one , I think its the same one Custom300Cshop one or pop round my house . PAT

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had a catch can on my car for nearly 2yrs now, I bought it from Kraftwerk, Germany and it's very similar to the one sold in the 300C shop. Even the pipework as well.
I always try to empty the catch can every 2,000 to 3,000mls and just reset one of the trip meters back to zero

·
Registered
699 Posts
I came across one fitted to a CRD the other week hence my question here
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/uk-europe-regional-forum/150850-crd-catch-can-question.html

Car had 73'000 on the clock, serviced and looked after, BUT I spotted the dipstick was not fully home and on looking more closely I noticed the catch can so I pulled the feed pipe off. The inside was coated in breather gunk! but not blocked

I also noticed that the non return valve had been removed from the engine, which would of course allow the breather gasses and gunk back into the engine either by gravity or possibly blown back from the engine intake pipe
It was obvious to me that the catch can was restricting the normal breathing of the car resulting in the dipstick being blown out.

(the breather hole in the dipstick tube was clear and the can contained about 5mm of gunk when inspected)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How big is the IN and OUT pipes.......?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I'm thinking of eBay tank with T peace silicone pipe to the turbo should keep my CRD happy.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Check picture 2, they look about half the size of the standard pipe!

Car is also using an orange seal and has no jubilee on the breather pipe, I'm betting its a low mileage car
I must admit, that the pipe internal diameter on catch cans, and the fittings reduced internal diameter (Hole Size) has always concerned me on the catch can mod so I've never taken the step and fitted one. They cant be breathing as well with catch cans fitted so whats the bottom end of the engine like when a can has been fitted ?

Is it a case of where you want the gunge ? bottom end or top end ? or does a catch can NOT cause bottom end sludging ? WHO KNOWS FOR SURE ? Any Member stripped an engine or at least dropped the sump, ? Ray ? Petman ?

Think Bob did the silicon sealant bit on the orange seal. (Probably unlucky enough not to get the new intake pipe and seal changed under warranty)

Jack

1 - 20 of 29 Posts