21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
How big is the IN and OUT pipes.......?
They're the ones supplied by BT, the same that a lot of us on here have used. I did cover the size and specof the pipes for somebody on another thread quite some time ago.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Check picture 2, they look about half the size of the standard pipe!

Car is also using an orange seal and has no jubilee on the breather pipe, I'm betting its a low mileage car
The pictures are from when I fitted the catch can, so are quite old now. I had the turbo inlet pipe replaced under warranty, so the car is actually running the black seal version. It is however a low mileage car. Which breather pipe are you saying has no jubilee clip on it?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I must admit, that the pipe internal diameter on catch cans, and the fittings reduced internal diameter (Hole Size) has always concerned me on the catch can mod so I've never taken the step and fitted one. They cant be breathing as well with catch cans fitted so whats the bottom end of the engine like when a can has been fitted ?

Is it a case of where you want the gunge ? bottom end or top end ? or does a catch can NOT cause bottom end sludging ? WHO KNOWS FOR SURE ? Any Member stripped an engine or at least dropped the sump, ? Ray ? Petman ?

Think Bob did the silicon sealant bit on the orange seal. (Probably unlucky enough not to get the new intake pipe and seal changed under warranty)

Jack
Nope, definitely not me.

Reactions: jackwalton

·
Registered
699 Posts
I do I sort of silicon sealant thing to the orange seals but I don't use normal silicon I use a oil and fuel resist one designed for this application. I have now done 5 or 6 on an exchange basis, with no reports or signs of leaking. (I stick a new orange seal inside the inlet pipe, then wait 24 hours of the sealant to go off before refitting, no sealant is left exposed, so there is no danger of any getting into the turbo)
The extra jubilee or even a very good quality, thick cable tie is placed around the small pipe that comes off the intake pipe. The seal on this pipe also leaks especially when the engine is hot. This seems to have been over looked when the revised black seal pipe came out but it IS a problem

Not stripped an engine all the way down or had a sump off.....yet!! But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like any of that crud draining back into the engine and polluting the oil
I didn't inspect fully the car I found with the blown dipstick, but I hope the pressure hadn't built up any further and blown something else, like the crankshaft oil seal for instance

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok people.......
You scaring me now........
Should I or should I not fit a Catch Tank...?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I vote YES......
With the correct sized hose and fittings same size or even larger than stock
In the correct location, ie lower than the engine outlet
Dont know how practical this is on our diesels though ?
Low location not easy on our diesels, if even possisble and pipe sizes and inlet stub sizes too small on the Billet can to meet above requirement.

jack

21 - 29 of 29 Posts