Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HERE is Goodyear's own comparison for the F1 and RSA tire.

I have RSAs which in the wet are pathetic when trying to put the take-off torque to the tarmac. If this comparison is accurate the F1s must be like snakes on ice.

Zilla

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
goddardzilla said:

I have RSAs which in the wet are pathetic when trying to put the take-off torque to the tarmac. If this comparison is accurate the F1s must be like snakes on ice.

Zilla
Although Goodyear's own comparisons/ratings/gradings have always been somewhat rather conservative, the Goodyear 'Eagle F1 Supercar' tires actually grip/perform extremely well on wet pavement. :fing02:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Nope, the F1's handle well in the rain. I ran em hard in a downpour on roads with standing water and in later on roads that were just wet, and they did very well in both instances.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have Goodyear F1 GSD3 on my BMW //M3 and they are great in the wet that is when the temp outside is above i would say 45F after that they get very hard and become slick but they are a summer tire anyways.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the F1's and they are DECENT at best in wet conditions. Dry traction is outstanding, but throw some rain in the mix and you better be careful............snakes on ice.........more like anacondas on ice :wink1:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I wonder what parts of the country those who say they are slick in the rain are in. Seeing as how it's not just me, but also Mr. DJ who says they grip well in the wet, I wonder if maybe those with traction issues are in colder temp regions.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Other cars I know that come with the F1s report issues in the rain unless you are well prepared and used to the tire. Even then, you cannot get good traction in the rain with them. I am switching our SRT8 to another make of tires when our RSAs wear out(they suck in the rain, too). Unfortunately, most of the other tires I like come in the right width, but shorter sidewall, giving a 1" difference in height. Not a terrible difference.

Todd

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
My issues in the wet have come from 40 degrees to 95 degrees. I've driven mine since March, and have over 9000 miles on it so far. I suppose if you never use more than 20% throttle you wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I guess it's all relative then, maybe the Conti's and later Dunlops we had on the 540 and all the tires I've driven with on my car were just exceptionally bad in the rain, so to me the F1's just seem good.

·
Registered
443 Posts
marlinspike said:
I wonder what parts of the country those who say they are slick in the rain are in. Seeing as how it's not just me, but also Mr. DJ who says they grip well in the wet, I wonder if maybe those with traction issues are in colder temp regions.

Orlando.....can't get much warmer that

BTW: I probably WON'T change to something other than the F1...........I love the grip when dry........just have to use some common sense when wet

·
Registered
909 Posts
Had the F-1 in 20"

since June. They are not too bad in the wet.

Like a slot car on dry pavement. Not like snakes on ice though.

Of course, I dont drive the same way in the rain as I do on dry pavement either. And neither should anyone else IMO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
goddardzilla said:

Zilla
I drove mine through the night, in a drivng rain,through the smoky mountains, averaging 75-80, in about 55 degrees, and was very impressed with the F1s. My F1s were ready for replacement at 18000 (could have got another 2k easy)

·
Registered
161 Posts
In the painful irony dept, the RSA's come in 295/40/20 -- which is the same as stock height, and would be a nice sized rear tire on the SRT8

I emailed goodyear and they say they have no plans to make the F1 in 295/40/20

I really like my F1s in the wet. But since in can only get 13.5 in the 1/4 I'm one of those 20% throttle guys.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
hemiwagn said:
In the painful irony dept, the RSA's come in 295/40/20 -- which is the same as stock height, and would be a nice sized rear tire on the SRT8

I emailed goodyear and they say they have no plans to make the F1 in 295/40/20
But putting a 295/40-20 on a 20X9 wheels is not recommended. I believe a 295 is supposed to go on a minimum of 10 inch wheel width. I think a 275/40-20 would be the perfect fit for the rears. Unfortunately the RSA and F1 does not come in that size.

I was thinking of using a Goodyear RSA 245/45-20 for the front and a Yokohama ADVAN ST 275/40-20 for the rear. My Magnum is just for cruising and I have no intentions of using it for racing or autocrossing. I'm still not sure if there are any consequences in using two different tires for the fronts and rears.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Shaggin Magnum said:
I was thinking of using a Goodyear RSA 245/45-20 for the front and a Yokohama ADVAN ST 275/40-20 for the rear. My Magnum is just for cruising and I have no intentions of using it for racing or autocrossing. I'm still not sure if there are any consequences in using two different tires for the fronts and rears.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shaggin Magnum said:
But putting a 295/40-20 on a 20X9 wheels is not recommended. I believe a 295 is supposed to go on a minimum of 10 inch wheel width. I think a 275/40-20 would be the perfect fit for the rears. Unfortunately the RSA and F1 does not come in that size.

Good point, on wheel width, i should have mentioned that. I have an aftermarket set of 20" wheels (not on yet) 8.5 wide front and 10.0 rear.

Mixing tire models and or brands is not recommended but who knows. Others with more experience can comment. seems to me though if they have the same speed rating and you are not doing heavy duty cornering s/b okay.
but then again, wet or snowy weather --- well i'm sure you would want the same tire on all 4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts