Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the X-Pel kit installed on my C today along with tint. My installer actually used the Llumar paint protectant instead of the 3M brand. He has his own plotter cutter so he can use the Llumar material with the X-Pel template.

Looks good and the coverage is excellent. Pretty much covered the whole front bumper, headlights & foglights, first foot or so of the hood, the front edge of the quarter panel and around the grill. You can see the them on the Xpel.com website. It wasn't cheap, but I plan on keeping the car for 7 years like my last two cars, so I figured it's a worthwhile investment. Here's a pic I took in the garage, I'll get some more pics tomorrow in the sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
C-Man thinking of doing the same on mine. Colorado roads are brutal on the front end. All the stinking pea gravel crap on the streets. What did you pay?

By the way, you really need some tire dressing. Just messing, nice ride.

Steve-O

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea, the tire dressing is sitting on the shelf. I'm waiting a few days for the bra to dry before I detail. I got Klasse AIO and SG for wax, but I didn't want anything on the paint before I got the bra. This Sunday, I'll make her pop.

With all the bugs and trucks kicking up rocks around here, it's something I really wanted on the car. I paid 1K for the bra and tint. Unfortunately, black is the hardest color to install on, so my installer charged me extra. I dropped it off at 8:30 in the morning and it wasn't ready until 6pm.

·
Registered
378 Posts
C-Man,

It looks nice. But, looking at the picture it appears that like the 3M there will be a dirt line across the front end. That's the only reason that I don't like the clear bra's, other than the price.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
mspeasl said:
C-Man,

It looks nice. But, looking at the picture it appears that like the 3M there will be a dirt line across the front end. That's the only reason that I don't like the clear bra's, other than the price.
Have to agree on that one. Also, since I don't think these have been out for a long time, I would be curious how well they hold up (clouding, yellowing, cracking, etc.) after many years, especially in TX sun.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is an edge to the bra, but I don't think it will gather a dirt line per se. The edge can catch the light so that is what is in the picture. THere is not dirt since it was completed just a couple of hours before.

I will need to pay attention when I wax it to make sure the wax does not build up along the edge, but a Q-tip should be able to clean that up no problem. The alternative is to have bug etchings and rock chips since this is my daily driver.

It's a trade off, and I chose to keep the front end defect free and deal with the look of the bra edge rather than have a cleaner look, but risk potential chips and etchings.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
jjs said:
Have to agree on that one. Also, since I don't think these have been out for a long time, I would be curious how well they hold up (clouding, yellowing, cracking, etc.) after many years, especially in TX sun.
FYI, the Llumar paint protection film has a lifetime warranty against yellowing, cracking or bubbling. The 3M brand I believe is 5 years.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
C-Man said:
FYI, the Llumar paint protection film has a lifetime warranty against yellowing, cracking or bubbling. The 3M brand I believe is 5 years.
True, but I don't like the idea of having to have that stuff peeled off (if needed), etc.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jjs said:
True, but I don't like the idea of having to have that stuff peeled off (if needed), etc.
So look at the alternative, to repaint the bumper from the rock dings. Plus this stuff protects the headlights. Crack one of those, and your looking at 1000 bucks for a new HID. Like I said it's a tradeoff. To me, it made sense. You see it differently.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
C-Man said:
You see it differently.
Yes, I do. Rather than belabor the issue with our differing attitudes, let's leave it at that.

:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first one was taken right on top of the car, from about six inches. Here you can see the edge. The second one was take a few feet away, and you really can't see the edge. At full resolution, I can see it but I reduced it to upload it to the site

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does it affect the paint in anyway over a period of time? Also where do you get something like that done?

Also..."Hemi_Hombre" what are you trying to say??????

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hemi_Hombre said:
C-Man,

Is the area that a put a box around, a section where 2 pieces don't quite match up?

Steve-O
That's where the relief cut is. Around the curved edges, there needs to be a gap for the film to lay flat. So in reality, you don't get 100% coverage, but it's real close.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
niner49 said:
Does it affect the paint in anyway over a period of time? Also where do you get something like that done?
It will actually protect the paint since it has UV protection. So you just need to make sure you keep wax on the rest so the unprotected paint won't fade. To get it done, usually someone who tints also does this. Check out www.XPel.com and www.invinca-shield.com for an installer in your area.

Here's a website I found for someone that does it in South Florida. http://autosupershield.com/.

Here's an article on it that I found when I was doing my research.

http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/8/paint_protection_film.1.html

HTH

·
Registered
84 Posts
It looks good now but wait, I had 3m done in april and I'm ready to take it off. Yes U will see lines no matter how how careful you are waxing. It scratches very easy. I wasted almost a grand..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's unfortunate smitty. I plan on putting 3 coats of sealant over the bra along with the reast of the car and only use microfiber applicators to hopefully keep the scratches to a minimum. You might be able to apply some kind of filler polish over the bra to help hide the scratches, but I'm no expert. Maybe try one of the detail forums to find out if that's feasible.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
bra

C-man how is this holding up for u.
I had to fix a couple nicks in the area that the bra would have covered so im now thinking about getting the Bra.

Eric
Black Cherry

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm having no problems so far (knock on wood). I put my wax/sealant right over it and it looks great. I'll wash the car tomorrow hopefully before Frances makes it to my neck of the woods. You can see a pic of it here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts