Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to GSM on Friday (3/14/08) to have a 3000 stall torque converter installed. Needles to say my SRT8 is a hole different beast. I'll be going to a private track rental @ California Speedway this Saturday to really test out this torque converter.

My best time there is in my sig. I'm on street tires and would really like some pointers on what to do for some better 60' times. So please share your technique with me so that i can achieve my goal. I'm looking forward to any advise you can share.:fing02:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Get yourself some drag radials. Those will help you achieve some great 60' times. Just be careful, because you risk snapping your half shafts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get yourself some drag radials. Those will help you achieve some great 60' times. Just be careful, because you risk snapping your half shafts.
My next mod will be the Viper half shafts and then the drag radials. But until then i need to relearn my take off technique on street tires. Any advise?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been practicing my launch and feel I have it down pretty good. Just a gentle touch on the pedal at start, but enough to snap your head back and then WOT after 5' or so. Do you have stock rsa, f1s or have you upgraded to 275s yet? On the rsas with the predator I couldn't launch or drive fast to save my life without ripping the tires. Anytime in first or 2nd the tires would smoke under wot. With the 275s it hooks up really nice.

I'm still waiting to hear when the famoso private track day will be. I emailed Jim and he said they were going to announce it soon...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been practicing my launch and feel I have it down pretty good. Just a gentle touch on the pedal at start, but enough to snap your head back and then WOT after 5' or so. Do you have stock rsa, f1s or have you upgraded to 275s yet? On the rsas with the predator I couldn't launch or drive fast to save my life without ripping the tires. Anytime in first or 2nd the tires would smoke under wot. With the 275s it hooks up really nice.

I'm still waiting to hear when the famoso private track day will be. I emailed Jim and he said they were going to announce it soon...
I went from the stock F1's to the Toyo Proxes 275/40/20 all around.
You should try to make it out this Saturday @ California Speedway.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I already have prior commitments. Besides, are there still spots open? Is it limited to 100 cars?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Take a tire pressure gauge with you to the track. Adjust the rear tire pressure to 22 to 23 psi. The front tires move up to 42 psi. DO THIS AT THE TRACK ONLY AND THEN RESET BACK TO 32-34 PSI ON ALL 4 WHEN YOU LEAVE THE TRACK !!!! Do a decent burn out to clean the rubber, dont roast them, remember they are street tires and you need those...just a quick smoke up and thats it...even though you got the stall converter you might not want to stall it that high, you will spin like a champ on street tires thats a given...try around 1800-2200 and dont slam it untill you are already out of the hole, so its basically light goes green, youre at 2200 rpms you let off the brake, the car starts to launch, you get outta the hole then WHAM slam it...its a tough technique to master but it will cut your 60' times down and you wont roast the tires from the start...it takes practice, Good luck and lets see those slips...Oh and go with at least a half tank of fuel, the extra weight will help traction...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have prior commitments. Besides, are there still spots open? Is it limited to 100 cars?
Thats too bad. I'm really looking forward to run you in the 1/4 mile one of these days. There is a waiting list but there is always last minute cancelations. And yes, it is limited to 100 cars.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take a tire pressure gauge with you to the track. Adjust the rear tire pressure to 22 to 23 psi. The front tires move up to 42 psi. DO THIS AT THE TRACK ONLY AND THEN RESET BACK TO 32-34 PSI ON ALL 4 WHEN YOU LEAVE THE TRACK !!!! Do a decent burn out to clean the rubber, dont roast them, remember they are street tires and you need those...just a quick smoke up and thats it...even though you got the stall converter you might not want to stall it that high, you will spin like a champ on street tires thats a given...try around 1800-2200 and dont slam it untill you are already out of the hole, so its basically light goes green, youre at 2200 rpms you let off the brake, the car starts to launch, you get outta the hole then WHAM slam it...its a tough technique to master but it will cut your 60' times down and you wont roast the tires from the start...it takes practice, Good luck and lets see those slips...Oh and go with at least a half tank of fuel, the extra weight will help traction...
Thanks for the advice!
At the track i run my rears @ 24psi and the front @50psi and also do a nice lil burn out after i go around the water box. I have always gutted out my trunk along with my rear seats and 1/4 tank of gas. So maybe i should let my car in tact and try your technique. Should i expect to be 2 to 3 tenths quicker? But my mph will suffer from the added weight right?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My best at California Speedway is 12.766 @ 109.12 with a 1.945 60'
What should my goals be for this Saturday? :worried:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for the advice!
At the track i run my rears @ 24psi and the front @50psi and also do a nice lil burn out after i go around the water box. I have always gutted out my trunk along with my rear seats and 1/4 tank of gas. So maybe i should let my car in tact and try your technique. Should i expect to be 2 to 3 tenths quicker? But my mph will suffer from the added weight right?
youll def pick up some tenths...as for the MPH you could get faster if you take all the stuff out of the trunk and take out the rear seats...I would at least have a Half or less than half a tank of fuel just to help with the traction issue on street tires. other than that any kind of weight reduction is good...the extra bit of fuel wont be that drastic...:fing02: i cant wait for the results...and i cant wait till its nice here so i can take the beast to the track...

·
Registered
328 Posts
My best at California Speedway is 12.766 @ 109.12 with a 1.945 60'
What should my goals be for this Saturday? :worried:
Thats pretty damn good right there...i would say with a perfect launch you should see 12.2-12.4 range at over 110 especially with the mods you have...now if you had Drag radials that number would go down a lot, but snapping half shafts isnt a good thing...

·
Registered
903 Posts
What people not familiar with this track don't realize is that its 2400 ft elevation and its supposed to be in the 80s this weekend. That track tends to get HOT. Anything in the 12s would be great for that track with the temps heating up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What people not familiar with this track don't realize is that its 2400 ft elevation and its supposed to be in the 80s this weekend. That track tends to get HOT. Anything in the 12s would be great for that track with the temps heating up.
Good point, i guess a 180 t-stat and a fan mod or the diablo is a must then, to keep those temps down...Bring a cooler and 2 bags of ice, and place them on the intake between runs to bring the temp down...beat that heat...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is the track open for spectators on sat i might come out,just to watch

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You guys in here have some great advice but you may not realize Carlos(Brute) ALREADY has down perfect launching technique....BUT he needs advice on launching with his newly acquired 3000 stall converter......

He's already aired his tires down....taken out the rear seats/trunk bin and everything else he could do to perfect his launch and delete extra weight.....

But i agree with you that he will NEED drag radials(after halfshafts) to fully maximize the T-C's benefits....

Anybody in here have a stall converter? :)

Carlos i'm not talking to you until you come give me a ride you 12 second club A$$hole!!! :fing02:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LACR was around 2400 ft (R.I.P.) The elevation for California Speedway is more like 1121.27 ft. Famoso Raceway is 635.00 ft. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the track open for spectators on sat i might come out,just to watch
I'm sure you could roll through. At the gate just say your there for the private track rental. And they'll direct you to where you have to go. Drive into the pits and look for the Mopar crowd. There should be about seven of us racing that day. Park next to us and say hello.:fing02:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carlos i'm not talking to you until you come give me a ride you 12 second club A$$hole!!! :fing02:

Don't be mad at me bro. I just want to get my technique down first.

·
Registered
903 Posts
LACR was around 2400 ft (R.I.P.) The elevation for California Speedway is more like 1121.27 ft. Famoso Raceway is 635.00 ft. :)
I'm scratching my head on that one... I just checked their site and you are right. My friend's srt8 ran a 14.10 there July 2006 when the temp was 110 degrees. Someone there said it was a 2400 ft elevation so the 14.1 (2 other srt8s, a couple new gtos and a srt10 truck also ran low-mid 14s) with the temp didn't seem too bad.

I wasn't too happy about going to this track since I thought it was in the same catagory as LACR as far as the worst DA. I'll have to give it another shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts