Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Drake billet aluminum strut brace and found time to install it today. Haven't had the car out yet as it's raining here now (surprise:banghead:). Really tight tolerances on it. Very happy with the quality of the unit, and it looks the part. Better looking than the Mopar unit IMHO, and less money too.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Nice. Never seen one like that. Very unique. :fing02:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Love the bar... now you have a little bling bling.. so how far you going to go with it under the hood?"

That kind of depends on available funds. Right now, not looking too good.:17:

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
The nice thing about it is you can easily remove it with the 4 mil spec pins

I have the same brace. Once its bolted in solidly the Pins are solid - you cant remove them due to all slack being taken up. I know a couple of guys with it, we're all the same. You need to loosen off the nuts to get the pins to release - good thing it looks so nice, cos that feature, sadly, is wasted. If yours works, I guess youre in a club of one ;)

my pins are red...am I seeing right that yours are silver?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine have black heads on them with silver buttons and will pull right out with not too much effort. I did fine tune the adjustment (two bolts on top of the shock towers) and used a little silicone spray on them to make them a little easier to manage, but for now, I can pull them as long as the car is on level ground. If you put it up on a lift or jack, that would be another story.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great looking piece......straight forward installation I assume?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fairly easy. The worst part was lining up the center brace to drill and attach to the stock "strut" against the firewall. I think that's where most of the pin misalignment problems stem from.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leads me to this question: See the tube attached to the air intake with a 90deg elbow in the third picture? It runs back to a small box with what looks like a twist off cap that is just under the strut bar on the passengers side of the intake manifold. Is this a factory "catch can"?

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Looks great Jim! Like that look!

As for the cap thingy... it looks like a PCV system as the tubes lead to the TB Tube and out to the manifold, this leads me to believe that under or part of that screw cap is a PCV valve. The catch cans usually install between the PCV and the inlet to catch the oil that the valve releases with the hot air... I do not believe in all my reading that the 6.4's have a stock can... I may be wrong on that and someone please correct me if I am!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only reason I brought it up was after looking at Kaiser Bills pic, it looks like the catch can hooks up in the same place. Don't know.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Yeah the idea behind the catch can is to catch the oil your PCV will will allow back into the intake and throttle body... Ao it would have to install there. I did some looking around earlier and see that people are installing cans on their 6.4's, so I presume the stock motor doesn't have one. Why reinvent the wheel right?! :) I will look more into it for ya though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Leads me to this question: See the tube attached to the air intake with a 90deg elbow in the third picture? It runs back to a small box with what looks like a twist off cap that is just under the strut bar on the passengers side of the intake manifold. Is this a factory "catch can"?
I was thinking the same thing, I know from installation pictures I have seen that the catch can gets installed in between the hose from the manifold intake to this box. Although I'm not sure how to drain the oil from it. It says for use by Chrysler dealer only on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
If that's a factory catch can on the 6.4's then it doesn't work very well. Judging by the amount of oil (which isn't much but similar to my old 5.7) that goes thru to my installed BT catch can. I'd guess it's just the PCV valve.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If that's a factory catch can on the 6.4's then it doesn't work very well. Judging by the amount of oil (which isn't much but similar to my old 5.7) that goes thru to my installed BT catch can. I'd guess it's just the PCV valve.
Right. My catch can always has some amount of oil in it. If there's something stock (I don't think so) it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Cannon looks great :biggthump:biggthumpI had one on my 2010 Challenger SRT noticed improvement in front end hard cornering and uneven surfaces not so squirely do you find improvment curious since our cars are different suspension than 2010? Where did you get yours?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I haven't replied, but I was away doing the SRT track experience at Watkins Glen. What a rush! Anyway, I found it on Ebay and contacted Scott through his number on Ebay and bought it directly from him. Haven't even had the car out since install, so I can't answer your question about handling. I'll get it out tomorrow and report back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts