Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my dealer to get a spare key cut for my '05 300c, and they told me that the grey key (with no remote built into it) will not work with the car and that I have to buy the full key with the remote built into it. Is this a bunch of BS, or what? I just want a spare so that if I lose one, I will still have two and can program a replacement myself. All I can find here is people saying they got the grey keys cut to bury them with their aftermarket remotes, but no one saying one way or the other if they will actually start/run the car.

Is there anyone here that has the grey fob key cut and using it to start and drive their car?

-Matt

·
Registered
252 Posts
that gray key is the valet key. to get a copy of the real key you have to go to the dealership and get screwed over and pay and arm and a leg. when i get my C it was preowned and they only had 1 key total. they said they can order me one at there cost which they first said was like $150 i spoke to someone else and the dealership and they lowest they could go was $125. i have seen someone on ebay selling the keys and then you take it to one of there local retailers and they program the key but i dont know how trustworthy that is. hope this info helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
COSHOOTER said:
I went to my dealer to get a spare key cut for my '05 300c, and they told me that the grey key (with no remote built into it) will not work with the car and that I have to buy the full key with the remote built into it. Is this a bunch of BS, or what? I just want a spare so that if I lose one, I will still have two and can program a replacement myself. All I can find here is people saying they got the grey keys cut to bury them with their aftermarket remotes, but no one saying one way or the other if they will actually start/run the car.

Is there anyone here that has the grey fob key cut and using it to start and drive their car?

-Matt
I bought the grey valet key for my car because i got remote start and it works fine.. it starts the car and everything with no remote built into it.. i paid $50 for it

·
Registered
563 Posts
Quick key rundown.

As long as the grey key has been "taught" to the car, it should be fine. There are two methods to do this. One you can perform as long as you have both of your original factory keys.

This is recommended. You can buy a blank grey key from Ebay, get it cut by anyone who cuts keys, and be good to go.

If, however, you only have one factory key, you gotta see the dealer. They should still be able to do an Ebay key for you, but might be unwilling becuase they want to sell you a key.

Also check and dealer vendors we might have, like Mopar Super Center. These guys will not be quite as cheap as Ebay, but no hassle, and no doubts, since they are the parts arm of Hendrick of Nascar fame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I just want the grey key so that I can program it myself. That way, if I lose one of the others I can buy a replacement and program that one myself without having to pay the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one of the grey keys, and it works great. I got it off of ebay. MAKE SURE it says it's for 2005 or later. I was not able to program the other key I bought. It said 1999 or later. (I guess 2005 doesn't fall into "later")

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa,

You're telling me there's a valet key? :confused:

Did it come with your C or did you have to buy it at the dealership afterwards.

I never got one with my SRT8 though considering the temptation to "get on it" I'm not handing my car to some punk without one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
By "valet" he means one with no unlock capability. It inhibits the cars driving in no way.

Not like the older Vettes, which actually did cut power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And...the "valet" key is cut the same as your stock keys, so it in no way hinders a valet from unlocking the glove box etc...

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
glhs837 said:
By "valet" he means one with no unlock capability. It inhibits the cars driving in no way.

Not like the older Vettes, which actually did cut power.

O.k. I'm a stoopid Newbie on this issue.

Someone explain this to me.

Why the **** would you want no unlock capability? Wouldn't you want him to go back to your car to unlock and drive it back to you? :confused:

Or do you give him that key to park it, and then give him YOUR key (unlock capability) to get the car back?

Seems like a PITA to me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hellifiknow, VV:) I can't come up with a good reason for it myself, I'm just passing along SKIM key info as requested. :)

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
glhs837 said:
Hellifiknow, VV:) I can't come up with a good reason for it myself, I'm just passing along SKIM key info as requested. :)

Yeah I know I know...I just used your quote because you were the first one who explained it.

Off topic anyway. :friday:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vvv90 said:
O.k. I'm a stoopid Newbie on this issue.

Someone explain this to me.

Why the **** would you want no unlock capability? Wouldn't you want him to go back to your car to unlock and drive it back to you? :confused:

Or do you give him that key to park it, and then give him YOUR key (unlock capability) to get the car back?

Seems like a PITA to me.

The only reason I want the grey key is because it takes two keys that are programmed to the vehicle to "customer program" more. If I can spend less than $40.00 now on the grey key, and lose one of the remote control keys, then when I have to replace the remote one I don't have to pay the dealer out the a$$ to program the replacement key for me. From my experience with a Ford truck that had the chipped keys, if you only have one key and need a spare, they charge you in excess of $100.00 to programit for you.

Call it the old "ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" approach.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
COSHOOTER said:
The only reason I want the grey key is because it takes two keys that are programmed to the vehicle to "customer program" more. If I can spend less than $40.00 now on the grey key, and lose one of the remote control keys, then when I have to replace the remote one I don't have to pay the dealer out the a$$ to program the replacement key for me. From my experience with a Ford truck that had the chipped keys, if you only have one key and need a spare, they charge you in excess of $100.00 to programit for you.

Call it the old "ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" approach.

Ah I see, and that is a great idea, I'll have to consider that.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do it, believe me. I lost one of the keys to my SRT-4, and was faced with having to buy one and have the dealer "teach" it to the car. Simple 5 minute process, they said only $50. :(

The day I broke down and was going to make the call, I found it:)

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
glhs837 said:
Do it, believe me. I lost one of the keys to my SRT-4, and was faced with having to buy one and have the dealer "teach" it to the car. Simple 5 minute process, they said only $50. :(

The day I broke down and was going to make the call, I found it:)

I've had it the worst.

I lost BOTH keys to my '73 Stingray at the same time.....Don't ask, I couldn't tell ya....

....Anyway, I had to take the cylinder out, bring it to 2 different lock smiths to have a new key made from the Cylinder.

Do you have any idea how much time and a PITA it was to remove that? AAARGH!

I would have gladly just handed $100 to anyone to remedy the problem faster. :D Besides, It cost $65 anyway for the smith service.

Sorry, OT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the beginning of the year, I just bought a third key (new blank) from ebay and a real good $$, got it cut for $3, used the two factories for programming it. If one gets lost or busted, I still have 2 to get another and program it in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did the same, bought the gray key with chip on Ebay for about $15, got it cut by a local lock smith, I had to try a few places before I found one who would cut it for me though. I then programmed the new key using my two originals, I have driven the car with the gray key, it works fine except for setting off the alarm when you unlock the door manually, then you have to put the key in and start the car to shut it up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have 3 keys, 2 came with the car and one is a spare that was cut. The remote functions arent active on the spare, and im not even sure if it drives the car (previous owner had it made). how do I program it with my 2 stock keys?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts