Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i fire up my car is starts right up and idles beautifully for about 10-15 seconds then there is this horrendous grinding/metal slapping/chugging noise that lasts all of a half a second. wondering if its normal for the 6.1 or is this something i should be concerned with? it only does it first thing in the morning when the engine is cold. wont do it again for the rest of the day... as always, any ideas and suggestions are always appreciated.

·
Registered
562 Posts
maybe it could be a belt tension-er i would have some one start the engine and with the hood open and give a eye ball and give a listen and possibly spot the culprit and you might check your heat shields, pulleys etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever the noise is on mine is not something I've been able to "see" when looking under the hood. Also it doesn't seem to affect the engine, meaning, there is no RPM jump or drop. It almost sounds like a "pump" of some kind is starting up...but the noise makes it sound like it's empty. I'm not sure if it even is a pump, just a similar sound from my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So when i fire up my car is starts right up and idles beautifully for about 10-15 seconds then there is this horrendous grinding/metal slapping/chugging noise that lasts all of a half a second. wondering if its normal for the 6.1 or is this something i should be concerned with? it only does it first thing in the morning when the engine is cold. wont do it again for the rest of the day... as always, any ideas and suggestions are always appreciated.
Check the starter and see how it engages with the flywheel and also if you’re having performance issues I’d say the Flywheel over the starter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts