Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I was in a rush and grabbed the left side of the door handle and pulled and snapped a piece that connects the handle grip to the base attached to the door. I pulled too hard and it snapped. It still opens fine. It still sits flush like it should and doesn't seem to wobble on the highway. But still... I am wondering if I could JB weld the 2 plastic pieces together. It's a clean break

I assume the interior panel must come off in order to replace? I think I can manage that. It sure would be nice if that one component (the handle) could be swapped out.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Reactions: Mixmode

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx man. It was my own damn fault. Trying to rush. The looked at the walkthru and it's doable but I know I'll be cursing once I get into the internals. Oh well, live & learn. :\

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry, to hear. I did one of mine several weeks ago. Need to play a little with one of the bolts, but fixed.

Reactions: Mixmode

·
Registered
558 Posts
I believe there was a post somewhere where someone was able to fix his existing handle without disassembling the door (I am pretty sure it was on this forum, but it could have been another). From what I remember, he drilled out the handle and the attachment in the door and epoxied a short metal rod into it, and it held up well. Sorry, but I haven't been able to find it through the search feature yet. Perhaps you'd have more luck.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Happened to me last year. PITA with my big hands but I got it done! You can too! Just follow the directions and don't rush the replacement. Stay patient and you'll be good as new with a newly replaced handle.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happened to me last year. PITA with my big hands but I got it done! You can too! Just follow the directions and don't rush the replacement. Stay patient and you'll be good as new with a newly replaced handle.
Yeah I am 6'7" and can palm a basketball. Gonna be a PITA but I gotta do it. Ordered the handle from Amazon yesterday so I hope get it to do the job next weekend.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Found the link:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/te...0-min-solution-door-handle-problem-moved.html

You could try this first, since the parts you are working on are the parts you are going to have to replace anyway. If it works, then you don't have to pull off the door and maybe you can return the purchased door handle. If not, then you're only out whatever time you spent trying and around $10 for the parts.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the link:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/te...0-min-solution-door-handle-problem-moved.html

You could try this first, since the parts you are working on are the parts you are going to have to replace anyway. If it works, then you don't have to pull off the door and maybe you can return the purchased door handle. If not, then you're only out whatever time you spent trying and around $10 for the parts.
Thx for finding it. My only grey area is how he attached the rod to the handle side and to be sure there is no loose play between the handle and the door.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thx for finding it. My only grey area is how he attached the rod to the handle side and to be sure there is no loose play between the handle and the door.
I'm not certain, but from what I read, I believe he says there's a hole on both sides where he inserted the dowel. I don't think he had to drill anything. I never checked my car when it had a broken handle (I had wanted to try this repair, but never got around to it), and I traded it in with it broken.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not certain, but from what I read, I believe he says there's a hole on both sides where he inserted the dowel. I don't think he had to drill anything. I never checked my car when it had a broken handle (I had wanted to try this repair, but never got around to it), and I traded it in with it broken.
Yeah... I assume he must glue it to the handle side first then to the door side. I'll have to look and see how much room there is to access the handle side. I don't think much.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I hope you have small hands. Lol. I hated changing mine!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yep. I cut my hands up all to h***. Fisch wrote a how to....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If I recall the fronts are not bad. The back doors are the PITA. It's super tight quarters back there. The fronts weren't too bad...if you can get your ape hands in there hahahahaha. I got em too bro. You are getting a new handle right?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah. I ordered one from Amazon Friday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts