1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GSM has developed a turn key "Big Top End" package for the 6.1 Hemi's

We have 2 package's,

Package A

This package is a set of ported & polished heads and a port matched intake that we take and Ceramic Coat for a additional heat barrier(avil in polished or black). we match this with a new set factory top end gasket set an we also include new head bolts.

Package B

This package is a set of ported & polished heads and a port matched intake that we take and Ceramic Coat for a additional heat barrier(avil in polished or black). We match this with a new set factory top end gasket set an we also include new head bolts. This kit is shipped with the Tuned long tube Kooks Headers that are s/s and also Cermanic coated with th ehigh flow ctas and mid pipes made to connect to any cat back as well as the stock factory exhaust.

This kit has been on the streets for a few weeks in testing and has "no check engine lights" and no adverse driveability. The increase in horse power and torque is very noticable and the car retains the stock look except fot the obvious coating or finish on the manifold.

peak performance gains

Dyno Testing was done on a 300c SRT8 with Kooks Header and Magnaflow exhaust and the engine temp was 204 to ensure accurate warm testing before and after

58.20 RWHP & 50.45 lbs of TQ peak with nice gains from start to big gains on the top end

Here is the link to our page on the web site with more picts and details and dyno sheets, we also supply a cfm flow chart with every set of heads showing before and after

http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Mercha...D&Product_Code=61HIPP&Category_Code=HMIENGHDS

Refundable Core Charge,

We have 10 sets of heads and intakes aviliable we ship the kits with a return UPS tracking # so alls you have to do is change out your current heads and intake put them in the shipping boxes and ups them back and we will refund the core charge.

Scott

GS Motorsports

·
Registered
443 Posts
1SRT8-2NV said:
That is a really awesome upgrade!!

This might be a stupid question, but will this totally wipe out the car's warranty?
just the part that covers the engine :wink1:

very nice mod by the way.....just went way up on my list

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1SRT8-2NV said:
That is a really awesome upgrade!!

This might be a stupid question, but will this totally wipe out the car's warranty?

if you stay with package A with out headers you will not be able to tell that the car has been modified, we can delete the manifold coating to keep a stock apperance(-100.00)

Scott

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey Scott, sign me up for one!

Hey wait a sec, that's my car you're talking about. In short:

Awesome power increase #2. First the Kooks, which I was thrilled with and did not have to guess / imagine if the car was any stronger as it was a whole different animal; amazing. Had the Kooks with the Magnaflows for about 1 1/2 months. With this new upgrade, it was just as dramatic an increase in my perception of power. To me the dynos and track times don't mean a thing when I'm driving 35 mph in every day traffic. I want to feel my mods then and there, not just at WOT or with more aggressive driving. But speaking of numbers . . . .

The car feels pretty much like the dyno. Large power gains from beginning to end. It would be helpful to look at dynos from stock SRT8's as well not just mine which had a baseline consisting of Kooks and magnaflows. The improvement would be even more marked, particularly at lower rpms.

The torque mod is more of a necessity at this time because the new power increase off of the line tends to be shut down by the computer. Eliminate that control and let them spin endlessly, back end swaying back and forth until you let off the throttle (from a stand still and from about 15-20 mph roll with light throttle).

No problems, no engine lights, absolutely no regrets!

My endless thanks to GSM (Scott, his dad, John and Brian). These guys are simply the best.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Will the engine be able to continue to run and operate on a daily basis in the smoldering south mississippi heat with this mod, and will it be able to last me for a while or will this mod put wear and tear on the motor with the additional horsepower?

Just need to know these things when modifying such a car!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks interesting. I have been thinking about buying an extra intake and letting a friend play with it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

What is the cost of a new intake? part #? if you have it handy.

Good luck with these.

rtr0id

·
Registered
435 Posts
What sort of gains would I expect from Package #1?

·
Registered
299 Posts
O.K. just went down to the garage to start it up and listen to it one last time before I turn in. It just sounds soooo good . . . . . .

·
Registered
701 Posts
1SRT8-2NV said:
Will the engine be able to continue to run and operate on a daily basis in the smoldering south mississippi heat with this mod, and will it be able to last me for a while or will this mod put wear and tear on the motor with the additional horsepower?

I'm no expert but it seems to me that the exhaust mod could only help the engine run cooler and happier. The intake / head mod could generate a bit more heat but I expect the cooling system would have no problem dealing with it. You're still limited by the thermostat (on the highway) and also the fan (in the city) turn-on temperatures.

So the engine will run at the same temp. as stock. If you mod the thermostat it will run cooler.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's heavy duty

1SRT8-2NV said:

artichoke said:
I'm no expert but it seems to me that the exhaust mod could only help the engine run cooler and happier. The intake / head mod could generate a bit more heat but I expect the cooling system would have no problem dealing with it. You're still limited by the thermostat (on the highway) and also the fan (in the city) turn-on temperatures.

So the engine will run at the same temp. as stock. If you mod the thermostat it will run cooler.
artichoke Reality is: with the exhaust, it's just the reverse due to the SRT8s Speed/Density type of fuel injection. Richer mixtures run cooler. The exhaust header and freer flowing system weaken the mixture, and weaker mixture burns hotter. More heat energy in a given amount of exhaust gas. More heat to dispose of.

Porting exhaust ports: dependant on where and how much metal is removed from exhaust ports, it reduces port wall thickness, and brings the hot gas closer to the coolant. Heat transfer from the exhaust gas to coolant is more direct, in worst cases this can cause localized (pocket) boiling of the coolant, in the water (old term) passages. If the guide length is shortened, to remove some of it's obstruction from the port, the heat transfer from the fiery hot exhaust valve is reduced, and the exhaust valve runs hotter. There are always decisions to be made about transfer of exhaust heat, and how much material to be safely removed due to port wall thickness, and shaping the all important exhaust guide and guide boss areas.

And yes 1SRT8-2NV the SRT8 cooling system has massive volumes of excess heat absorbing (and disposal) capacity - so there should not be a problem. Simply put it's a heavy duty cooling system. I feel confident GSM have taken all these variables into consideration when they put their packages together, and can confirm this.

Zilla

·
Registered
102 Posts
300CUL8R said:
What sort of gains would I expect from Package #1?
I am also interested on the gains from package #1. I am not going to be installing the headers (I still want to keep it smog legal for California).

·
Registered
299 Posts
That was the reason I've done these mods

qictrk said:
Looks very good for the top end guys. You wouldn't have anything in the works for the low end to mid range would you? Cecil............
Looking at a variety of dynos I've gathered from different posts since I've been on this forum, it seems that torque around 3000 rpm can be as low as around 290 lb/ft or as high as 320 depending upon the dyno run. With these mods, the torque is around 360. That seems like a nice increase to me. But as I mentioned in the other post, those numbers are meaningless to me when I've driving down the blvd. at 35 mph.

My very first post on this forum in July regarded changing the intake with the hope of increased low and mid range power. The way I drive, which is very conservative, does not lend itself to getting the most out of these cars. I rarely drive above 80 mph or drive WOT. I don't race on the streets, and will likely not go to the track (maybe once to get 1/4 mile times). Therefore, a lot of this car's power isn't used by me. That is why I have added these mods and I am really getting to where I want to be with it. Every time I drive, whether it's pulling safely from a stop or pushing it a little on an entry ramp, the car is just SO MUCH STRONGER. There is no guessing, this car is a different animal . . . and most importantly to me, I don't have to drive unsafely to really tap into its power, because now it is always there.

New gears and a new differential should be coming out this year (talk with GSM) and I will be first in line because I still want more power off of the line. I want the car to be so strong down low that I have to make an extra effort to not spin my tires every time. By the way, with the torque mod on, I pulled (tried to pull) away at a stop light. I did not apply the throttle completely, maybe 1/2 to 3/4. The point is, I was NOT trying to be aggressive. The rear wheels spun without grabbing and my back end started to slide sideways. I had to let off the throttle to move forward. Not bad for not trying!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
BBSRT8 said:
I am also interested on the gains from package #1. I am not going to be installing the headers (I still want to keep it smog legal for California).

and thus the problem of living in California...
wait...
did I just complain about living in CA.?
oops...
sorry...
for those who's cars are garaged and waiting for that first dry dy on the roads in the inclimate weather zones...
drove to work again today in the SRT8...
and hated every minute of it...
as well as home...
errands...
and pretty much any other reason to drive it...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Doyle said:
... My very first post on this forum in July regarded changing the intake with the hope of increased low and mid range power. The way I drive, which is very conservative, does not lend itself to getting the most out of these cars. I rarely drive above 80 mph or drive WOT. I don't race on the streets, and will likely not go to the track (maybe once to get 1/4 mile times). Therefore, a lot of this car's power isn't used by me. That is why I have added these mods and I am really getting to where I want to be with it. Every time I drive, whether it's pulling safely from a stop or pushing it a little on an entry ramp, the car is just SO MUCH STRONGER. There is no guessing, this car is a different animal . . . and most importantly to me, I don't have to drive unsafely to really tap into its power, because now it is always there.

New gears and a new differential should be coming out this year (talk with GSM) and I will be first in line because I still want more power off of the line. I want the car to be so strong down low that I have to make an extra effort to not spin my tires every time. By the way, with the torque mod on, I pulled (tried to pull) away at a stop light. I did not apply the throttle completely, maybe 1/2 to 3/4. The point is, I was NOT trying to be aggressive. The rear wheels spun without grabbing and my back end started to slide sideways. I had to let off the throttle to move forward. Not bad for not trying!
Doyle, that's my driving situation too. I use this car every day, and 6000 rpm just doesn't come up that much on my commute to/from work ...

I didn't see a post from you describing your mods to the intake or whatever after you did them. I'd like to hear it!

·
Registered
701 Posts
goddardzilla said:
artichoke Reality is: with the exhaust, it's just the reverse due to the SRT8s Speed/Density type of fuel injection. Richer mixtures run cooler. The exhaust header and freer flowing system weaken the mixture, and weaker mixture burns hotter. More heat energy in a given amount of exhaust gas. More heat to dispose of.

Porting exhaust ports: dependant on where and how much metal is removed from exhaust ports, it reduces port wall thickness, and brings the hot gas closer to the coolant. Heat transfer from the exhaust gas to coolant is more direct, in worst cases this can cause localized (pocket) boiling of the coolant, in the water (old term) passages. If the guide length is shortened, to remove some of it's obstruction from the port, the heat transfer from the fiery hot exhaust valve is reduced, and the exhaust valve runs hotter. There are always decisions to be made about transfer of exhaust heat, and how much material to be safely removed due to port wall thickness, and shaping the all important exhaust guide and guide boss areas. ...
Thanks Zilla. Now I start to see why the reported gains in HP and Torque are substantial for the headers. This engine needs to have a weaker mixture, and less exhaust backpressure is nice too. Exhaust and/or software are starting to look like useful performance mods. Like Steve I'll wait and see what the software does before thinking about hardware.

As for exhaust, I'm getting the impression that catbacks are more for sound quality but new headers do more for performance, even though there are factory headers. Can you hear the difference with new headers too?

·
Registered
299 Posts
artichoke said:
Doyle, that's my driving situation too. I use this car every day, and 6000 rpm just doesn't come up that much on my commute to/from work ...

I didn't see a post from you describing your mods to the intake or whatever after you did them. I'd like to hear it!
Sorry for the confusion. I had meant that my very first post was a question asking anyone if they knew what to do to improve the intake so that I could improve the low end power. At that time (July) I think the only thing out was the catbacks. I didn't change anything till November, when I added the Kooks, Magnaflows and torque/fan mod.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe the stock intake is about 550-600 from chrysler.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts