Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

Not only am I not happy with my thermostat swap or gsm mod, now I've got an engine light on... and pulling #11 fuse hasnt made it go away...?? My temp is still in the 206 range with the fan mod on all the time.. 170 stat .. Help guys..

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
bigreddwon said:
Well,

Not only am I not happy with my thermostat swap or gsm mod, now I've got an engine light on... and pulling #11 fuse hasnt made it go away...?? My temp is still in the 206 range with the fan mod on all the time.. 170 stat .. Help guys..
Since you've verified that the fan mod works, bigredwon, you've obviously got at tstat that's running at 206 degrees.

Pick up one of the thermostats listed in post #1 of the Alternate Thermostats thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/pe...-hemis-3.html?highlight=alternate+thermostats,

pick up a gallon of distilled water at the market, and swap the stat out per the instructions in post one. Takes all of 5 minutes once you've reached your chosen location.

I'd suggest going with the Prestone 383-170 despite that being what you believe to be what you're running. I've purchased three, all ran at a perfect 176 degrees, and the dozen or so forum mates who have similarly installed them & then took the time to report back to me all confirmed 176 degrees as well. It's far superior to any of the other tstats in features and construction.

Next in order of recommendation would be one of the 180s. Note that some run cooler than others.

As for the engine light, suggest changing the tstat first, then pull fuse 11 (one of the yellow ones - it's not uncommon to interpret the fuse layout 180 degrees out) for a full minute. If that doesn't reset the CEL, disconnect the negative terminal in the trunk for a minute or two. That will do it.

As I've mentioned in a number of places, you can generate a CEL with any fan mod if you don't allow the coolant temp to rise to 185 degrees or so prior to turning on the fan.

Feel free to PM me if you have an further questions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I get the dreaded CEL on cold days. I'll try the neg battery pull. Do as Meister says and you'll be happy.

206° is still cooler than 226° but you should be down around 186° or less with the fan on. Without the GSM mod I average 210° under hard acceleration for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Meister said:
Since you've verified that the fan mod works, bigredwon, you've obviously got at tstat that's running at 206 degrees.

Pick up one of the thermostats listed in post #1 of the Alternate Thermostats thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/12384-alternate-thermostats-lx-hemis-3.html?highlight=alternate+thermostats,

pick up a gallon of distilled water at the market, and swap the stat out per the instructions in post one. Takes all of 5 minutes once you've reached your chosen location.

I'd suggest going with the Prestone 383-170 despite that being what you believe to be what you're running. I've purchased three, all ran at a perfect 176 degrees, and the dozen or so forum mates who have similarly installed them & then took the time to report back to me all confirmed 176 degrees as well. It's far superior to any of the other tstats in features and construction.

Next in order of recommendation would be one of the 180s. Note that some run cooler than others.

As for the engine light, suggest changing the tstat first, then pull fuse 11 (one of the yellow ones - it's not uncommon to interpret the fuse layout 180 degrees out) for a full minute. If that doesn't reset the CEL, disconnect the negative terminal in the trunk for a minute or two. That will do it.

As I've mentioned in a number of places, you can generate a CEL with any fan mod if you don't allow the coolant temp to rise to 185 degrees or so prior to turning on the fan.

Feel free to PM me if you have an further questions.

I'll try the battery pull.... but i do have the 383-170 prestone t stat .. and im still at 206 .

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
bigreddwon said:
I'll try the battery pull.... but i do have the 383-170 prestone t stat .. and im still at 206 .
It'll be total news to me if the battery pull does anything but give you some exercise, brw. That's not a suggestion of mine.

Have you physically removed the thermostat and verified that it is the 383-170. A very distintinctive stamp "63.5" or "63.5 mm" will verify it.

Regardless, as you've been told by me twice now, unless your EVIC is feeding you bum information, your tstat is opening at 206. You must replace it with one which opens at a temperature more to your liking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Meister said:
It'll be total news to me if the battery pull does anything but give you some exercise, brw. That's not a suggestion of mine.

Have you physically removed the thermostat and verified that it is the 383-170. A very distintinctive stamp "63.5" or "63.5 mm" will verify it.

Regardless, as you've been told by me twice now, unless your EVIC is feeding you bum information, your tstat is opening at 206. You must replace it with one which opens at a temperature more to your liking.
I can attest to the EVIC being off if you believe the menu tree readout in diagnostic mode. It seems to be about 10° higher in the EVIC.

·
Registered
701 Posts
sorbs said:
I can attest to the EVIC being off if you believe the menu tree readout in diagnostic mode. It seems to be about 10° higher in the EVIC.
Is this menu tree readout something that I can see without a Starscan?

Are they different temperatures? Aren't they both being reported by the same engine computer? Why would they differ -- 10 degrees is a lot.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, this post just talked me out of it. No time or desire to deal with those types of problems just to be able to light 'em up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
300CUL8R said:
Well, this post just talked me out of it. No time or desire to deal with those types of problems just to be able to light 'em up.
Pulling fuse #11 while checking your oil too tough for you? Man, life must be rough...

·
Registered
701 Posts
sorbs said:
Funny...you posted on this thread! http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/377-access-evic-data-diagnostic-trouble-codes-2.html?highlight=easter+egg

Beats me but if spent the time checking the ambient light meter then this one should be a breeze!:01:
I was playing around with the display and changed something by accident that later was found to be the ambient light meter. I guess having posted on that thread makes me appear to know about stuff that's on EVIC, but actually I'd start with the Alternate Thermostats thread or other thermostat threads for temp. related stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
artichoke said:
I was playing around with the display and changed something by accident that later was found to be the ambient light meter. I guess having posted on that thread makes me appear to know about stuff that's on EVIC, but actually I'd start with the Alternate Thermostats thread or other thermostat threads for temp. related stuff.
Over in the LXforums http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=11326 is a detailed explanation of the EVIC readouts

·
Registered
435 Posts
sorbs said:
Pulling fuse #11 while checking your oil too tough for you? Man, life must be rough...
Yep pretty much. Didn't buy a new car to jerry rig mods together. I'll wait for the tuner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it worked

Pulling the Neg cable worked... thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts