Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the website claims but I want a REAL testimonial. Does the GSM mod really work? Does it eliminate torque control? Are the shifts more crisp? Has your acceleration improved? 1/4 mile times before/after? This is not accusatory just want an unbiased opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
cvp33 said:
I know what the website claims but I want a REAL testimonial. Does the GSM mod really work? Does it eliminate torque control? Are the shifts more crisp? Has your acceleration improved? 1/4 mile times before/after? This is not accusatory just want an unbiased opinion.
I can say an emphatic YES!! The shifts are so much crisper and combined with the fan mod now keeps temps @ 177-183 degrees, depending on driving conditions. It is worth every penny, and quite frankly - $199 is a bargain for what it does.

My .02 worth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QuikSilver said:
I can say an emphatic YES!! The shifts are so much crisper and combined with the fan mod now keeps temps @ 177-183 degrees, depending on driving conditions. It is worth every penny, and quite frankly - $199 is a bargain for what it does.

My .02 worth!
Is this something the dealer would notice/care about?
Did you change out your thermostat?
Is the install completely reversable, no evidence, cutting, etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
This mod is for real. I don't know about being able to meet the claims that are posted on GSMs website, but this thing is still amazing.

And I am not even getting paid to say this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
cvp33 said:
Is this something the dealer would notice/care about?
Did you change out your thermostat?
Is the install completely reversable, no evidence, cutting, etc.?
You do have to cut one wire and you can intersect another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
cvp33 said:
I know what the website claims but I want a REAL testimonial. Does the GSM mod really work? Does it eliminate torque control? Are the shifts more crisp? Has your acceleration improved? 1/4 mile times before/after? This is not accusatory just want an unbiased opinion.
While I cant speak to the others, I can say nobody has yet posted a real reduction in 1/4 mile times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
glhs837 said:
While I cant speak to the others, I can say nobody has yet posted a real reduction in 1/4 mile times.
Meister did something like 25 runs @ the track comparing mods...
he might have something...
check with him...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Yep, he siad he was going to do a better test than the first one, where he did one run in the middle of 8, and it was flawed due to the way he did it. No report back since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I certainly respect GSM and their efforts, but there is no way to eliminate the TM without computer reporgramming. Yes, there are a couple of ways to fool the computer into thinking it is in a condition that doesn't need as much TM. I also understand that the GSM mod requires a wire to be cut and that isn't something I will get into with this vehicle. The Superchips flashpaq will do a much more effective job at removing/eliminating TM, improving shift points and firmness, and giving us control of fan on temperatures(they said this is a future upgrade for the unit).

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
glhs837 said:
Yep, he siad he was going to do a better test than the first one, where he did one run in the middle of 8, and it was flawed due to the way he did it. No report back since.
Did I miss something, glhs837?

Flawed? How?
=========

If we consider the total mod, which includes the fan mod, along with a cooler thermostat, the GSM mod is easily worth .2 to .3 at the track by controlling coolant temp alone, assuming making multiple runs. Any time my coolant temp exceeds 190 degrees I'm down a tenth for the remainder of the day. Anything over 200 I've lost another tenth. And so on. With the GSM fan mod I'm always at or near a perfect 176 degrees coolant temp when I stage.

If you're going to trailer your car to the track, with no time spent in the staging line to overheat, make only one run, then trailer your car and leave, you don't need the fan mod. So no time savings for you from the fan mod itself.

For those of us with drag radials it's worth at least a tenth in this area as well . Only via the GSM ESP/Torque Management switch can one completely disable all power inhibitors, while retaining ABS, at the flip of a switch, enabling the full, total, 4-second or so burnout, from both rear tires, required to properly heat the tire surfaces for proper launch.

Thus the ESP/Torque switch alone is worth a tenth when running drag radials.

The ESP/Torque Management switch itself, from quicker, more positive shifts, etc., is worth on the order of a tenth or .15.

Summary: For someone who'll trailer the car to the track, pull fuse 17, push the car through the staging line, then make one pass and haul ass (for home), the GSM mod is worth probably .10 to .15.

For anyone who will be making multiple runs, doesn't wish to pull fuse 17, and is running a cooler thermostat and drag radials, the mod can, in fact, be worth a full .5 seconds on all of the later runs, when a car without the GSM mod would be in full heat soak and launching with too cool tires.

Drop the drag radials from the equation and the difference would be around .4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
As I recall, the original claim was that it was worth .4 in the 1/4. That was arrived at by GS guessing that each shift lost .1 due to TM. They evidently were wrong, and thats why they dropped the claim

But the fact remains, nobody has yet gone any faster just with the torque mod. And yes, being cooler will help you get faster. Maybe even .4, but you can do that without spending $200

I have never said anything about the fan mod, just that disabling TM isnt going to make you faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
The real deal is that the GSM mod is nothing more than a Fan Mod. The Torque management and traction control factor of the mod is as simple as cutting a wire in the braking system. All they have done is provided a switch.

This was documented clearly on LXforums before GSM had the admins of the site remove the documentation or the admins decided to themself. The post no longer exists on any forum, but I can put you in touch with the guy with the directions if you're interested.

Don't buy into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
I have had the torque mod for about 3 months and have never had to think twice as to whether it was a good investment or not (for every day driving, let alone the track). Now with the ported intake/heads the torque mod is a necessity. Without it, the computor shuts down the power from the new work. Perhaps its not totally eliminated per WD's statements (don't know one way or the other) but with the mod vs. without it, it has always been night and day and money very well spent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
glhs837 said:
...I have never said anything about the fan mod, just that disabling TM isnt going to make you faster.
Results seem to show differently, though certainly not by 4 tenths.

Remember what my runs have shown:

1. Disabling TM is worth a tenth when running drag radials.
2. Disabling TM is worth a tenth or so, on its own merit, in a 5.7L. It may well be more on a 6.1L, which is the platform the mod was developed and tested on; mine was the first 5.7L to receive the mod.

And I don't recall that the original claims dissected the mod - just that the total mod package could be worth up to .4 in a quarter mile.

Which you've already agreed it could, though there are manual ways (opening the hood, opening the pdc, pulling a relay, properly inserting a double spade connector, closing the pdc, closing the hood, safely stowing the resistor) of doing the same thing that a simple flip of the GSM fan switch, on the fly, whenever & wherever the driver desires, can do.

Driveablity is a significant part of overall car performance and owner enjoyment, one that is not tested in WOT dyno pulls and 1/4 mile track runs.

The superchips tuner, which makes essentially the same horsepower as the stage 2 Jet Chip which has been out for well over a year now, is now being defended on the merits of its driveability, which approximate those of the Jet Chip, a point I've been making for the Super Chip for nearly a year now.

"Driveablility" is a valid area of comparison and comment - it's where 98%, or more, of even a track rat's driving takes place. Those who have purchased the GSM mod are enjoying it greatly. Those who have not, are not.

And appear strangely possesed in their eagerness to attack it without even giving a fair shake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Not strangely possessed on attacking it, just insistent that claims that cant be backed up by testing dont get passed into common knowledge by repetition. And that we dont confuse the issue. He specifiaclly asked about the 1/4 mile, which is what I addressed.

I dont speak to driveability, or "driving enjoyment" or any other aspect. Those are subjective and hence not anything that can be measured. Or gains of a 10th, which could be accounted for by such small variables that its not worth mentioning.

I only want folks to know that if they think they can flip the TM switch and go faster, they cant. That simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
GSM said:
GS Motorsports is proud to announce that we have completed some key modifications for the LX platform 5.7 and 6.1

Race ESP Mod:

Completely deletes Traction control(esp) and Torque management on shifts points. This mod is worth nearly a 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile on the stock lx platform with No Codes..no more pause between shifts and no traction hold back from the ECU at the flip of a switch.!

Fan Control:

This mod Brings the fans on early keeping max temps on the motor down 10% or on the the 195 degree thermostat at crusing speed( no codes)

These mods will be aviaible from GS Motorsports as a complete package as a pre made turn key modification with instructions for an easy install on any 5.7 or 6.1 LX platform 300c/Magnum/Charger


Scott Quaranta
GS Motorsports
888-GSM-HEMI

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/pe...orque-management-mod-8.html?highlight=testing

Id suggest a full reread of that thread. Please note, I've never "attacked" the mod, just asked for proof that it lived up to that claim. Now that that calim has been removed from the website, I only mention that TM removal wont make you faster, with no mention of the claim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
glhs837 said:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/pe...orque-management-mod-8.html?highlight=testing

Id suggest a full reread of that thread. Please note, I've never "attacked" the mod, just asked for proof that it lived up to that claim. Now that that calim has been removed from the website, I only mention that TM removal wont make you faster, with no mention of the claim.
Well I guess there lies the dilema. Why perform a mod on your vehicle that does not improve performance, may be detrimental to your drivetrain and could void your warranty? Also not bashing, just asking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
GSM Torque Mod

I can only speak to the effect of the GSM Mod on my SRT-8;

Before the mod: Shift in manual at 5500 rpm to avoid the rev limiter.

After the mod: Shift at 5900 and not hit the limiter.

Before the mod: 3way ESP light 'em up in 1st gear only.

After the mod: Light 'em up in 1st and 2nd at any speed up to about 50 mph.

Before the mod: 13.18 in the 1/4

After the mod 13.04 in the 1/4 (so far)

Before the mod: Bad Ass Sedan

After the mod: Bad Ass Sedan on Steroids!

Before the mod: Torque Management most of the way off.

After the mod: What Torque Management?

Any Questions?

BTW: I encourage all doubters to NOT add this mod. That way I'll have a bunch more cars on the road to spank, as part of my daily "Commute".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
DanRealtor said:
I can only speak to the effect of the GSM Mod on my SRT-8;

Before the mod: Shift in manual at 5500 rpm to avoid the rev limiter.

After the mod: Shift at 5900 and not hit the limiter.

Before the mod: 3way ESP light 'em up in 1st gear only.

After the mod: Light 'em up in 1st and 2nd at any speed up to about 50 mph.

Before the mod: 13.18 in the 1/4

After the mod 13.04 in the 1/4 (so far)

Before the mod: Bad Ass Sedan

After the mod: Bad Ass Sedan on Steroids!

Before the mod: Torque Management most of the way off.

After the mod: What Torque Management?

Any Questions?

BTW: I encourage all doubters to NOT add this mod. That way I'll have a bunch more cars on the road to spank, as part of my daily "Commute".

Yea. What he said. :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
DanRealtor said:
BTW: I encourage all doubters to NOT add this mod. That way I'll have a bunch more cars on the road to spank, as part of my daily "Commute".
Now see, heres why I dont let this go. If it doesnt make you faster, you wont "spank" a car not equipped. As long as the boosters of this thing make statments like that, I'll remind folks that it has never made a car any faster.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top