Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I want you all to know that I had THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER in the snow today.
Let me just say, I know its a long story, but I had to let you guys know my anger and thanks for reading it if you did not close it already.
First off, I planned to go Snowboarding up in Vernon NJ for about a month.
Well what timing cause we are suppose to get a Snow blizzard.
I know I know I should not of been driving in the weather, but we figured if we leave now we can get there before the storm really hits.
Anyway, Since I did not want to leave Sun morning, I figured Id leave early Sunday morning at about 3AM.
So I hit the road and its all good.
When I hit NJ, the roads have slight inclines and my C barely made it. (Just so you know it was snowing really hard and about 5 inches of snow on the ground)
This happened about 5 or 6 times.
Also, whenever I git the gas the car moves nowhere, and if I take the ESP off, the car is ALL OVER the road.
Now what happens next is horrible.
The drive from Brooklyn NY to Vernon NJ is about an hour and a half.
Since we thought we were gonna get there at about 5AM, we figured we'd get a hotel room, sleep for a couple hours and get to the mountain early.
So 1 Hour passes by, 2 hours pass by, and 3 hours pass by.
We come to the hotel and it has a slight decline going down to the hotel.
I go down and they say they are all booked up, so I say ok and I leave.
I WISH I NEVER ENTERED THAT DAMN PLACE.
After i left the office, I tried getting up the incline and I can not make it.
I tried about 10 times ESP on off my friends pushing, still nothing.
So I tried reverse and it was going pretty smooth til the car got stuck and all of a sudden started sliding towards a railing :pat:.
OMFG, that was my day.
I pull forward and look at the left side of my car and have a scratch from the front quarter panel to the front door, rear door, and read quarter panel.
Seing that I love this car, I start cursing up a storm.
after 1 hours of trying to get the car out it finally comes out as does the sun at 7am, Holy S***.
We went to a Diner to get breakfast and that when I really looked at the scratch.
The front fender and rear have crackes in them and that sucks big time, but the scratch that went from the front to rear door is only paint from the railing.
I got home today and took compound and tried it out, I rubbed really hard and about a half inch came out, so now Im not that worried.

NOW, for those 2 cracks, what can i do to preserve it so it doesnt get any worse than it is.
I know, I will try and get pics ASAP.

Sorry for the long story, but that was my day.
Thanks
NS6

As you can see in the pics, pic 1 is hard to see but where the arrow points is where the crack is and pic 2 is also where the crack is, but also hard to see.
I took these pics at night and the car is filthy, so imagine what it would look like in the daytime clean.

Here, Follow the Link

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
OMG! I'm really sorry to read this story of disaster in the snow! I know you spend a lot of time and money on your ride and it turned my stomach to read the part about the rail- very sad. BUT- from what I'm reading about this storm you're lucky to be out and about. You could have slid off into some horrible ditch somewhere in BFE never to be seen again!! Sorry I don't have any recommendations on repair- just that I know it will be repaired. Be careful up there- gosh and I just went out to put a sheet over one of my palm trees to protect if from the frost alert for tonight! :eek1: :)

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
That sucks. Not to beat up on you when you are down Nautca, but that's why we here in the great Northwest park our nice cars and drive a beater or a 4x4 in the winter. Except this winter has been more like Spring since November......snow in the mountains but not where I am.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kevenj said:
That sucks. Not to beat up on you when you are down Nautca, but that's why we here in the great Northwest park our nice cars and drive a beater or a 4x4 in the winter. Except this winter has been more like Spring since November......snow in the mountains but not where I am.
Well seeing that it only snows about 5 times a year, that the reason I did not go with the AWD, was not really necessary.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Very bad news, NS6. Sorry to hear it. We have about 14" on the ground in Mass. from that same Nor'easter. The 300C and the SRT-8 just aren't that great in the snow unless you're running four-wheel snows. Hope you find the right body shop to make your baby like new again.

Rick

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Bert, I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune, but grateful no one was injured.
For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you backed through the office!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O, BTW, I went snowboarding and decided to try the jumps. My first jump was good, but my second, boy that tailbone hurts. lol

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HEMEEE said:
Bert, I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune, but grateful no one was injured.
For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you backed through the office!
I like that reply LOL, but thank god that didnt happen.
Going from a FWD to a RWD makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O wait, I kinda forgot to add something.
While I was trying to get out of the incline (dont know if i was in forward or reverse) the Check Engine Light came on, Canybody know for what?
Now another trip to the dealer.
Here comes rental #9.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
I can certainly empathize with your feelings of anger and discouragement. However, I'm glad you are fine even if your car isn't. Good news is it can be repaired. I'm wondering....how come people don't use chains/cables on their tires like we do in California in the places where it does snow?

Hang in there!
bruno

·
Registered
538 Posts
Naut,

What tires are you using while driving in this record-setting blizzard of epic proportions?

JFF:D

PS...I'm glad you are OK.

·
Registered
252 Posts
sorry to hear about your car. glad to hear you all were ok. all i have to say is i thank god i live in south florida so i dont ever have to deal with all that nastiness. hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
701 Posts
urbanchemist said:
sorry to hear about your car. glad to hear you all were ok. all i have to say is i thank god i live in south florida so i dont ever have to deal with all that nastiness. hope all works out for you.
We dug out from it today and the kids are off school tomorrow. That's it. Tomorrow I'm going to drive the 4wd to work though.

No roofs blown off houses, no going 5 days without food ... we don't get hurricanes here! If this is a record setting blizzard, it shows the weather is historically very tame around NYC.

·
Registered
137 Posts
snow disaster

Sorry to hear about your car !!!
I live in Toronto Canada and my decision between an rear wheel drive hemi or an awd hemi came down to whether or not I want to risk driving in the winter possibly getting stuck or worse , end up in an collision ! I bought the awd, and have to say i'm glad I did ! However I am seriously considering trading the car in for an SRT-8 jeep !
B D HEMI

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got the 300C AWD because I didn't believe the early DC advertising that RWD with the electronic traction control could realistically be as good as RWD alone. Sorry about you body damage. Just last month I pulled out of my parking spot next to a buick that is on my right. She parks there every day. I cut the corner and scratched 3 panels in the blink of an eye. I truly feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thank you ALL for your input and concern.
I see just how much every cares. I hope some of you are coming to the Meet and Greet in May at NJ, cause ill be ther (I hope no snow, LOL, if there is snow thats has got to be a record for snow in may)

JFF, I have on the Conits Sel seal that came factory from the dealer.

If we get blizzards like this in NY, its usually only 1 a year, but that doesnt bother me cause in Brooklyn NY, there arent any inclines, Declines or hills for me to worry about.
i can drive my car no problem here in NY, but it was in NJ that really killed me.

I really did not want a AWD vehicle because we dont get brutal snow storms that often like some other cities do and it also uses more gas i hear.

Well, now hopefully the sun here today (monday) will melt this S*** away so i can wash my car and take care of that damn scratch.
I cant wait to post pics to show you the eye sore.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Damn NS6, that really sucks. My family lives in Lyndhurst, NJ just off RT3 and they got 2 ft of snow. My parents live up there in Sussex and got a foot or better and need a 4x4. BTW, my nephew has a condo in Mountain Creek, where I assume you were going. I hear ya...nothing but hills the whole way! I've been up there many times in the winter and I can't imagine taking my 300C up the hill to his apt! Keep us posted on the fix!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey Naut., Sorry about your road trip, very happily surprised you made it to your final destination at all. Anyway glad you are O.K. and I am sure the car will get well soon, maybe now is your chance to repaint the whole car Inferno Red. Have Fun up there and try a nice hot drink like a "Hot Toddy". BTW ....you made another wrong call about cancelling the meet for the Meet...lol...:pat:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Wow NS6, glad it was no worse, I was going to ask what tires you are on but I see they are stock Contis, I hope I don't have to find out how the GY does as I am not getting snow tires either.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I used to downhill ski and went out in the worst of travel conditions with little more than RWD and all-weather tires. Couldn't wait for real, fresh powder, which, as you know, has been getting really rare here in the East. I was just plain lucky not to have hit anything or anyone!

Not to flame you, but if you were my son, and he did what you did (and he did, and then some!) I'd have to say "Live and learn." Discretion is the better part of valor.

So, did you learn anything?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts