Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

When I start the car and it begins to warm up, I hear a gurgling sound coming from right in front of the driver. Something is moving around in the engine bay, but I don't know what.

I did add about 1/2 gallon of coolant mixture this past week because it was low. I had not checked it when it was cold since I bought it (recently). I see no leaks at all, but I do have a faint smell of coolant when I get out of the car after a drive.

Since I don't see any leaks... water pump? Any ideas? Normal smell (doubt it...)?

Its an '06C with 22K miles. I'm under warranty with the new purchase for another month or so.

Advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Sounds like it could be the heater core. At the very least you may want to have it brought in for a coolant system pressure test.

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
the gurgling & drain of fluid has been reported before in posts.....a split in the rubber hose leading to the heating core.... references to 'turbos' in the below post is for a 300c diesel, but most of the ancillary stuff like heating systems is identical to the hemi

I've been having cooling problems in my '05 300C. Lately, the engine temp will shoot to about 240+, and cold air will be coming from my heater vents, then gurgling and click clack type of snapping sounds from the heater vents (probably trapped air in the heater line), then the temp will drop back down to about 224. I've had the Jet 180 stat for the last 4.5 years with no problems, and the temp has always been less than 200. I had the same problem a few months ago, and I removed the T-stat to test it in boiling water,seemed fine, reinstalled, and no problems. I'm thinking of just ordering a new T-stat anyway, but the amount of coolant I'm pouring in lately is a new concern. Where did you find a leak at?

"at the back of the block there is a piece of aluminium pipe that connects from round near the side of the turbo and bends right round then connects to a rubber hose that i think goes to the heater matrix, just above the back of the turbo there is a star head screw and the pipe is split right above that."

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!
also the coolant hose has been known to rub on the right bank, also there have been issues with bad coolant hose clamps at the rear of the engine

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bravo Kaiser... I'm going to check that myself and then stop by the dealership too (armed with more info). I'm not getting any overheating. The temp gauge hovers right at the mid point, but the loss of coolant is a concern.

I'm a bit of a car nut, so any sound at all is a concern for me.

Thanks, and I'll report what I find.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I get a gurgling sound in behind the dash just for a few seconds when I start my car. It's just the rush of coolant going through the heater core and there is nothing wrong with my cooling system. If you are actually loosing coolant, that is another matter.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
If I turn my car off after a drive and sit inside with the radio off, I can hear a quiet bubbling sound

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gurlging; resolved

Last night I had steam from spilled coolant coming out, so I knew it was time to get serious about the diagnosis and repair. Quick trip to the dealership, and we're set.

The thermostat housing had a leak. I know, its metal, and where would it leak, but thats what they said. They also wanted to change the thermostat (which seemed like overkill to me, but I said ok to it).

New therm housing, new therm, topped off antifreeze. $404... covered under warranty as a certified pre-owned.

Temp gauge sits at 1/2 still, no longer have a smell of coolant, no steam, no puddles. I am hoping the problem has been resolved.

My next question: what would cause that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts