Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the 1st gen guys had some half shaft issues once they started making over 500whp. So the question: Did Chrysler beef up the half shafts in the 2nd gen SRT8 at all? I may never even hit 500 whp but it would still be good to know at what point I have to consider new half shafts (and probably gears).

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Actually we had a couple here break with stock 6.1's. It's about traction, not torque.

Nothing breaks till you hook up. I broke a motor mount at the strip a long time ago, simply due to outrageous hook.

Your car features a much stronger rear end with real limited slip via clutches and beefier halfshafts. You're good to go, just be careful if you use drag radials or slicks.

Reactions: Gibby

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
I believe starting with the 2010 or 2011 SRT8's they went to a forged halfshaft in the Challengers but am not sure on the 300's.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
As Steve mentioned, Gen 2 rear ends and half shafts were re-engineered and beefed up.

I have been paying close attention to the suspension changes, as bushing were a weak point, as well as half shafts (just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago, as a precaution).

Chrysler had a commitment to Daimler (Mercedes) for these components on the Gen 1. For Gen 2, the basic design was kept but most, if not all components were redesigned and manufactured here at lower cost.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I knew they put in an LSD into the 2nd gen, just wasn't sure about the strength of the components being improved or not. Guess we'll all keep our eye out on how much power people are making before they break!

·
Registered
504 Posts
As Steve mentioned, Gen 2 rear ends and half shafts were re-engineered and beefed up.

I have been paying close attention to the suspension changes, as bushing were a weak point, as well as half shafts (just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago, as a precaution).

Chrysler had a commitment to Daimler (Mercedes) for these components on the Gen 1. For Gen 2, the basic design was kept but most, if not all components were redesigned and manufactured here at lower cost.
What did you replace yours with? The '09+ RT half shafts?

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
I was able to switch out mine out with 2012 parts. So far so good. But as Steve pointed out -the test will be when I throw some DR's on. On streets no problem at all. Just looking at what was on the car to what I put in makes me feel better

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think all getrag rears have the same axles. 1st or 2nd gen. I am using 12 charger ones on my car along with the 12 charger getrag & hubs.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry for bringing back an old thread but just in case the info hasn't been found. I know the 2nd gen SRT's have 226mm shafts while the RT's have 215mm shafts. I'm not sure what the 1st gen SRT's came with though.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes, beefed up but still not good enough IMO. The diff (215 or 226) and driveshaft are good for 600 to 650 to the wheels, but axles snap much sooner, based on traction and conditions as mentioned.

I don't think the axles are forged but I could be wrong here.

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but just in case the info hasn't been found. I know the 2nd gen SRT's have 226mm shafts while the RT's have 215mm shafts. I'm not sure what the 1st gen SRT's came with though.
1st gen SRT's use the same 215 diff as in the RTs now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts