Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im about to put in my aac style halos and im wondering if i need to remove my ballasts from the housing before i put the lights in the oven? Any help?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I removed my out to be on the safe side even though the heat is low u may have to bake it more that once to crack it open

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I'd remove them if I were you. I had to turn up my oven to damn near 300 degrees before the silicon would loosen up enough to separate the housing from the lens.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys guys, the info is much appreciated :). Ill give it a go this weekend and try and post some pics :)

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
No problem, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update? I'd like to try this, but hesitant to put my headlights in the oven!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol it didnt happen, i got side tracked and ended up doing a few other things. so ill probably do this once it warms up again (which is when i plan on moving my sub into a custom box) unless i sell the halos by then.

·
Registered
848 Posts
...I didn't remove mine and all it well, post-install.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Just finished mine.... NO you don't have to take the ballast or the bulbs out.
I ended up screwing up and had to bake them 3 times. Never touched the ballasts or bulbs. Put them back together and they work great.
The only suggestion I have is to follow the instructions to the word. Bake at the temp and time stated and start pulling them apart in the lower inner corner as stated. If you follow the instructions it's not as bad as you think.
I was the typical guy and tried to do it "my way", I was better off when I just followed the instructions.
Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

By the way.... hot glue does not work to attach the halo rings to the housing, the halos actually get hot..... whoda thunk?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
The instructions can't be followed word for word.. The bake temperatures listed in the instructions WOULD NOT touch the adhesive holding my OEM 07 housings together, I wound up baking them at 300 degrees, many times, to get the HELL glue, to release it's Kung-Fu Grip :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
In the AAC installation video, they say just heat the lights again and reseal, but the instructions say use black silicone caulk....did you guys use black silicone, or just the factory glue? Got my halos yesterday...can't wait to try 'em out!

Oh, and did you all hook them to your parking lights, or are they switched another way?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
The instructions can't be followed word for word.. The bake temperatures listed in the instructions WOULD NOT touch the adhesive holding my OEM 07 housings together, I wound up baking them at 300 degrees, many times, to get the HELL glue, to release it's Kung-Fu Grip :)
Different ovens have some some variations on what the temperature really is. I would not advise to go up to 300 because that is in the micro-cracking range...

In the AAC installation video, they say just heat the lights again and reseal, but the instructions say use black silicone caulk....did you guys use black silicone, or just the factory glue? Got my halos yesterday...can't wait to try 'em out!

Oh, and did you all hook them to your parking lights, or are they switched another way?
No, the 300C does NOT have a reusable seal. Most lights do but for the 300C you need to remove the old seal and reseal the lights with black outdoor silicone.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
No, the 300C does NOT have a reusable seal. Most lights do but for the 300C you need to remove the old seal and reseal the lights with black outdoor silicone.
Thanks ... I'm going to try to tackle this project this weekend. I'll post pics when I'm done.

BTW, AAC had fast shipping and what appears to be a great product....highly recommended!

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Thanks ... I'm going to try to tackle this project this weekend. I'll post pics when I'm done.

BTW, AAC had fast shipping and what appears to be a great product....highly recommended!
Thanks, read through the instructions it will talk more about the silicone. Pick some up from Lowes or Home Depot before you begin the project to help things go faster.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ok, attempted this today, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the housing apart. I started at 245 for 20 mins, nothing, so tried another 5 mins, nothing, upped it to 265 for another 5, nothing, then 275 for another 5, 285, and finally 295 for about 10 mins. In that bottom corner there was a very slight gap, but it wasn't moving...I used quite a bit of force.

I was afraid to go any higher than 295. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this? Do I just have a super-sealed light? I didn't try the other one yet, but if I can't get this one open, I don't want to install this on the other one.

on the bright side, I learned that taking the fascia off really is as simple as everyone says.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Ok, attempted this today, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the housing apart. I started at 245 for 20 mins, nothing, so tried another 5 mins, nothing, upped it to 265 for another 5, nothing, then 275 for another 5, 285, and finally 295 for about 10 mins. In that bottom corner there was a very slight gap, but it wasn't moving...I used quite a bit of force.

I was afraid to go any higher than 295. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this? Do I just have a super-sealed light? I didn't try the other one yet, but if I can't get this one open, I don't want to install this on the other one.

on the bright side, I learned that taking the fascia off really is as simple as everyone says.
Once you have the the housing hot enough take your screwdriver and carefully go around the perimeter of the light (holding the screwdriver parallel to the seal) and loosen everything up. Do this once or twice, put back in the oven, then try again its sure to pop right off :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Once you have the the housing hot enough take your screwdriver and carefully go around the perimeter of the light (holding the screwdriver parallel to the seal) and loosen everything up. Do this once or twice, put back in the oven, then try again its sure to pop right off :)
I considering trying that, but I was afraid I'd bend it or break it. I'll try that on the next attempt....

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Like I said.... it took 300 on mine (and 300 on my oven, is 300!)

The adhesive Chrysler used was manufactured by Satan Inc. In Hell!

My 300 lights were NOT the first set of Mopar lights I've cracked open, and it took 300+ degrees to do my last set (not on a 300) so I knew going into it, that it was going to be a fight. And let me tell you it's nothing like AAC shows in the videos, oh how nice it must be to work on Asian car lights :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts