Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering has anyone added a subwoofer to the Boston Acoustic Sound Group 2 System. I have a MTX 8000 in a sealed box, Kenwood 929 amp and all the wiring necessary for installation just sitting in my basement. I'm ordering a cap for the amp so it won't pull to much juice. I just wanted some input on how it worked out if anyone else had tried a similar setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Lilbear I replaced the factory spkrs with MB Quart 6.5" Q's in front and Reference 6x9's in back and added a 10" free air application sub in place of the factory 8". 75x4 & 500x1 JL amps. I'm still using the factory head unit (hacked to add DVD switch) and after having it tuned (the install guys must all have hearing damage because it sounded like CRAP when i got it back and I was PO'ed!) it really screams now.. bone jarring and THICK warm tone all over the place.

Now I'm just a little afraid the sub is going to send the rear window flying off into the sky!

It was a little harder to dial it in with the factory head unit than it probably would have been with aftermarket because apparently there was no way to bypass the internal crossovers on the head unit so there was that battle to fight but I am very happy with it now that that has been ironed out.

Also, I didn't end up using a cap and have no dimming or weirdness that I can tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
PixelPusher said:
It was a little harder to dial it in with the factory head unit than it probably would have been with aftermarket because apparently there was no way to bypass the internal crossovers on the head unit so there was that battle to fight but I am very happy with it now that that has been ironed out.

Also, I didn't end up using a cap and have no dimming or weirdness that I can tell.
Pixelpusher can you verify that the Head unit has the crossover and not the Amplifier?

I was planning on moving my LOC before the amplifier this weekend and want to know if its worth my time.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
hey rogue, I am only going on what they told me at the shop although they very well could have been just making excuses since it sounded so bad and apparently they should never have been allowed to touch my sweet baby in the first place! It would make sense that the crossovers are in the amps if they are separate but I do not know the definitive answer to the question.. just what the goons at the shop said..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Lilbear said:
I was wondering has anyone added a subwoofer to the Boston Acoustic Sound Group 2 System. I have a MTX 8000 in a sealed box, Kenwood 929 amp and all the wiring necessary for installation just sitting in my basement. I'm ordering a cap for the amp so it won't pull to much juice. I just wanted some input on how it worked out if anyone else had tried a similar setup.
The easiest way I found is a powered subwoofer. I have a kenwood 10" powered subwoofer with with adjustable crossover. I pair of RCA jacks is all you need. Keep inmind this is what I did for my vette not 300C. Once my baby gets here I'm going to add to factory system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
It is my understanding that the crossovers are in the stock amplifier. With that said, I also understand that the stock head unit, like almost all stock head units, has a limited frequency range - rolling off well before the standard 20 to 20,000 Hz limits. So even if you do replace the speakers and add amplifiers, you are still going to be somewhat limited by the stock head unit's frequency range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
PixelPusher said:
Lilbear I replaced the factory spkrs with MB Quart 6.5" Q's in front and Reference 6x9's in back and added a 10" free air application sub in place of the factory 8". 75x4 & 500x1 JL amps. I'm still using the factory head unit (hacked to add DVD switch) and after having it tuned (the install guys must all have hearing damage because it sounded like CRAP when i got it back and I was PO'ed!) it really screams now.. bone jarring and THICK warm tone all over the place.

Now I'm just a little afraid the sub is going to send the rear window flying off into the sky!

It was a little harder to dial it in with the factory head unit than it probably would have been with aftermarket because apparently there was no way to bypass the internal crossovers on the head unit so there was that battle to fight but I am very happy with it now that that has been ironed out.

Also, I didn't end up using a cap and have no dimming or weirdness that I can tell.
What did you do about the front dash speakers? I assume the MB Quart 6.5's are in the front doors and the reference speakers are in the back deck?

Also, WHERE is the amplifier for the SGII system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
The amplifier is under the steering wheel on the cowl to the left.

The dash speakers are 3.5" and generally the worst size speaker to replicate music properly. Replacing the whole front speaker setup with a 6.5" Component set is the desirable solution.

Until I upgrade to components up front, they will do, but they are limited by their size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
yeah Lancorp the 6.5's are in the doors and the tweeters are in the dash in place of the stock 3.5's.. they are VERY bright in that location but they have been tamed some in the tuning..

I still need to tweak it .. i'm getting a little ear fatigue from the punch of the bass and have hole somewhere in the mids that is nagging at me. I may end up ditching the rear shelf sub set -up and go for a box (I was trying to avoid stealing too much trunk space as I need to throw a couple of guitars & amps back there fairly often) and add some serious EQ to the signal path.

this is my first serious foray into car audio and i can already tell it is a never ending quest for perfection!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
PixelPusher said:
yeah Lancorp the 6.5's are in the doors and the tweeters are in the dash in place of the stock 3.5's.. they are VERY bright in that location but they have been tamed some in the tuning..

I still need to tweak it .. i'm getting a little ear fatigue from the punch of the bass and have hole somewhere in the mids that is nagging at me. I may end up ditching the rear shelf sub set -up and go for a box (I was trying to avoid stealing too much trunk space as I need to throw a couple of guitars & amps back there fairly often) and add some serious EQ to the signal path.

this is my first serious foray into car audio and i can already tell it is a never ending quest for perfection!
I've read from others who have put replacements in the dash that the tweeters were too bright (Infinity 3.5" Kappa's, for one), so I steered clear of those, event though they were what I was going to get. I went with the Boston FX3's because they are not so efficient on the tweeter side.

Seems like if you took the tweeters out, put some FX3's in the dash instead, it would help smooth things out, and give some assistance to the front soundstage (so the sound doesn't sound like its coming from the floor).

Did you take the factory amp out? Are there just RCA wires running from where the factory amp was back to the trunk where your new amps are?

I haven't seen any good pictures of amplifier relocation, so I can only imagine how people are rewiring for added (or replacement) amplifiers.

Thanks and keep the info coming!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
hey yall, i added a 1500 watt xtant amp, and a hd10" xtant woofer simply by adding a line input deal (25)$ to the right output of the stock boston sub and then attahing that to rcas to my amp , since the battery is in the back it took me all of 20 min to do the install......and the fade works and it sounds awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I just installed my old Kicker XS50, the guy took the signal out of the bass line coming from the amp. I also installed an RCA volum knob since the amp is pretty old and doesn't have one. I don't like running the bass on at all times...

Question, why did some of you replace the door speakers, those are just mid base, no voice comes out of them, so if you replace them make sure you do it prior to the cross over or else you will be getting the same thing, just mid base, the only full range set is on the back. I decided to leave those as is for now.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top