Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing CAIs and it seems to me that all you need is straight, smooth piping, a large cone filter, a heatshield to isolate the filter and maybe some heatshielding tape to wrap everything in. I can assemble all of that for around $150. Before I sink the money I wanted to see if anyone has done it before and what their results were.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I've been browsing CAIs and it seems to me that all you need is straight, smooth piping, a large cone filter, a heatshield to isolate the filter and maybe some heatshielding tape to wrap everything in. I can assemble all of that for around $150. Before I sink the money I wanted to see if anyone has done it before and what their results were.
I wouldn't bother with all of that. If you're wanting more cold air, I'd just cut a hole in the front of the airbox, a corresponding one next to or behind the headlight, and link them with a hose or piece of pipe. That's essentially what a Hellcat uses. One of the guys on our sister site, Chargerforums, pioneered that mod and he seems pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't bother with all of that. If you're wanting more cold air, I'd just cut a hole in the front of the airbox, a corresponding one next to or behind the headlight, and link them with a hose or piece of pipe. That's essentially what a Hellcat uses. One of the guys on our sister site, Chargerforums, pioneered that mod and he seems pretty happy with it.
Not so much concerned about more core air as more sound tbh. The stock box seems to do a pretty good job of isolating the air intake from the heat of the engine bay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can assemble all of that for around $150.
I bought a CAI for my stepson's Charger 3.6 for about $165 then just had to install it. It does make a slight difference in sound, but not a ton. Unless you are just in this for the fun of making the kit yourself (which obviously can be done, albeit probably not as good looking as the manufactured units being sold) then have at it. Any gains of any sort are negligible and the only reasons in the past I have ever put CAI's on my vehicles is for appearance only.

The stock box seems to do a pretty good job of isolating the air intake from the heat of the engine bay.
That's a negative. It's in the engine bay under the hood, where most of the hot air gets trapped. Unless you run the tubing out of the engine bay you won't truly be pulling the ambient outside air temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts