Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I switched the wires powering the Kicker sub to see if it would improve sound quality. IMO - not much of a difference, maybe even slightly worse. I get slightly more distortion at higher volumes and lower frequencies than before. I know that this is typically the result of not enough clean power going to the sub but it wouldn't hurt to experiment right?

Has anyone tried to replace the stock Kicker sub with something aftermarket? The reason I ask is because I am pretty familiar with aftermarket subs and when pulling out the Kicker to switch the wires it is pretty obvious that the stock sub is not that high of quality. Probably something one could buy online for around $25. I know that there are several factors to consider:
1. I assume that you would need a shallow mounting sub - Rockford Fosgate makes a Punch series shallow mount that would probably fit. I'm pretty sure there are other manufacturers out there that make them as well.
2. What is the impedence that is currently on the factory set up?
3. Is it known what the power output (RMS) is from the factory amp to the stock sub?
4. Is the stock enclosure sealed? From giving it a quick glance, it appears as if it is not ported in any way but by no means does it look sealed. I would assume that it would be best to remove it and seal all of the edges from the inside with some silicon sealant...?

If anyone could point me to some accurate specs I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The 300c sub is a 1 ohm 100w sub. Our amp is of course the same. It won't power anything else. I've heard the charger sub is a 200w with a 200w amp, but I don't know the ohms. Here's a kicker article on how to replace both the sub and the amp with a step up from kicker.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts