Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week or two, when it got really hot (90-100 degrees) I've noticed a very annoying creaking, almost hail hitting the roof sound coming from over my head when I'm driving.

As I hit bumps, it is worse ... sounds like there was some loose wire looms or something floating around in between the headliner and the roof ... but I think it has to do with body flex, and maybe the hard plastic (around sunroof) not flexing nicely or something ...

I'll be brining it to the dealer soon ..... definitely not supposed to be there I'm sure .....

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
need4speed said:
In the last week or two, when it got really hot (90-100 degrees) I've noticed a very annoying creaking, almost hail hitting the roof sound coming from over my head when I'm driving.

As I hit bumps, it is worse ... sounds like there was some loose wire looms or something floating around in between the headliner and the roof ... but I think it has to do with body flex, and maybe the hard plastic (around sunroof) not flexing nicely or something ...

I'll be brining it to the dealer soon ..... definitely not supposed to be there I'm sure .....
Actually, just lubricating the seal around the sunroof should make it go away. I need to do this about every 6 months to stop the creaking/squeaking. You can duplicate the squeaking if you use your fingers to push up on the sunroof right where the front seal makes contact with the roof.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I've noticed this since delivery. What do you lube the seal with so as not to damage it or dry it out?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sun Roof

I have the similar problem. Plan to have the dealer look at it at my next visit. Doubt very much that they will be able to do anything. If we/you let them they may have the body shop look into it and before you know it you will have some co-op student taking apart the sun roof and reassembling it making things worse.

The reality is that the rubber/weather stripping joints are likely the cause of the issue. I expect a can of silicon lubrication will be the best solution. Lubricate anything / everything that is in visible site and hope for the best.

Some things just aren't worth the aggravation of dealing with the dealers.

If you find a solution ... let us know.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sun Roof

need4speed said:

Definately not body flex !!!!!! I've had no problems. In facy I was amazed that this system was far superior to even Caddy's Deville which, when opened sounds like having the back windows open on any car ( heavy thumping).

·
Registered
482 Posts
On our Magnum SRT-8, I get a strange squeek type noise from the rear hatch area roof. I have looked at it, but there is really nothing there. It is only when I cross this very poor section of road near our house, also, at very low speed(I can't cross it anywhere near the speed limit due to how rough it is).

Todd

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guys check out this slightly old thread in the Problems forum: here. As I said in that thread, it took me two trips to the dealer, which included an "authorized" sunroof shop looking at it, to get my "squeaks" resolved. It ended up being broken rails. Now... no problems siince. This seems to be a very common problem and something that could take some persistance on the owner's part to get fixed. But once it's fixed it's a very good sunroof with no noise and smooth action.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Thank you, I mentioned to my dealer the EXACT wording (push up on the headliner in the center behind the roof and the noise stops) yet no fix. Ugh.

·
Registered
909 Posts
2006 300C no problem

Are you guys all 2005's??

Mine's a 2006. Maybe they took care of the foam block issue or whatever?

I havent heard a squeak or anything from mine and its been hot as hell in NY this summer.

Hope I didn't jinx myself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phew ... so I'm not the only one with this issue ....

I'll bring it to the dealer shortly ....

And yes, Mine is a 2005 ....

·
Registered
43 Posts
2005 and yes I have the same problem... I'm so glad I have so many smart people on this forum that makes me not have to use my simple brain! :nutkick:

Thanks guys once again... :wave:

·
Registered
117 Posts
MrHappy said:
I've noticed this since delivery. What do you lube the seal with so as not to damage it or dry it out?

BMW makes some stuff called "Gummi Phlenge" or something like that. I use it to elinimate the creaking sound from the seals of my '02 M3 Cabriolet.

Works Great!

LJB :smoker:

·
Registered
117 Posts
M3SMG02 said:
BMW makes some stuff called "Gummi Phlenge" or something like that. I use it to elinimate the creaking sound from the seals of my '02 M3 Cabriolet.

Works Great!

LJB :smoker:
"elinimate"....lol, what a Twit I am...

LJB :sly:

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sunroof

There are actually two TSB's for thr sunroof. One involves adjusting a couple of screws, the other, drop the headliner, remove the sunroof mounting bolts, put red loctite on them and reinstall.

Every dealership has someone who is more qualified to work on interior/trim issues (my guys name is Frank). Anyway, find out who is best qualified at your dealership and schedule it with him ONLY. You REALLY don't want some tech learning how to drop and reinstall a headliner on your car.

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
DanRealtor said:
There are actually two TSB's for thr sunroof. One involves adjusting a couple of screws, the other, drop the headliner, remove the sunroof mounting bolts, put red loctite on them and reinstall.

Every dealership has someone who is more qualified to work on interior/trim issues (my guys name is Frank). Anyway, find out who is best qualified at your dealership and schedule it with him ONLY. You REALLY don't want some tech learning how to drop and reinstall a headliner on your car.

Dan
Dan, which dealership are you using? Is it Moore or Airpark?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dealerships

3SRT4ME said:
Dan, which dealership are you using? Is it Moore or Airpark?
I bought my car at Avondale, GREAT Dealership! I went to Airpark to adjust the suroof. Norm Adam is the Service Advisor, Frank is the tech.

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts