Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, about to go on holidays in a few days, rather than travel 3000km's+ on my 24" tyres I removed and fitted my factory 18" alloys with out the TPMS sensors which have been relocated in my 24" rims, but before I did this I thought I would try to see what happens if I disconnect the TPMS receiver located in the right hand rear while I am removing the 24's, well it has been 2 days now and the 24's are in my trailer packed waiting for the trip and my EVIC is showing that I have over 30 PSI in the tyres fitted without the TPMS even after taking it for 30 minute drive shortly after the swap.

Has anyone ever tried this before? Obviously this wouldn't work if the EVIC had registered 1 flat tyre and the other were still running the TPMS.

Anyone got an answer for me?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes, I put a new tyre & rim on without the sensor. Sometimes the EVIC chimes in quickly saying there is a fault othertimes I can drive for 20 mins, check the tyre pressures and it still has a reading?!?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mine has just started to say check TPM system, but all tyres are showing 2.6 bar. about every 10 mins it beeps and shows on screen.
I have had them in my 22" rims for about 1 1/2 years with no problems.
My guest is that I have one that is stuff,

Anyone with any ideas??

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Well you've only disconnected one of the 3 pickups, there is also one in each of the front wheel arches. My guess is that it's in limbo & will eventually tell you that they're missing.

Troy, sounds to me like one of your sensors might have died - like you suspected. But you'd have to check it on the scan tool to back that up.

I've thought a lot about what's involved in tricking the system.. its pretty smart!
I think the best way of shutting it off would be for someone to develope a flash for the fcm, to alter the vehicle configuration; telling it that the vehicle is not equipped with the TPMS.
Alternatively, you could design a transponder that duplicates a viable output signal of pressure & temparature.. & just locate one inside each of the wheel arches.

But at the end of the day, having the TPMS is a good thing. Just need to have a bigger variety of wheels that allow correct fitment of the original sensors :pat:

My 2cents!

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just got back from brighton chrysler all sensors working well but warning still comes up. dropping off friday for service and for them to find the problem.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you've only disconnected one of the 3 pickups, there is also one in each of the front wheel arches. My guess is that it's in limbo & will eventually tell you that they're missing.

Cheers
Phil
Yeah Phil :) I knew there was 3, read about it the wheels section, just seems strange that even after so many days it still showing I have 30PSI + in all tyres on the EVIC, I was just thinking that I might have disrupted the system from open circuiting the receiver in the right hand rear wheel arch thats all.

Time will only tell, I am going away for about a month holiday so it would be interesting to see on my return trip when I refit the 18's I will not disconnect the RHR receiver and see how that goes, only tried this as I wasn't really keen on travelling 1500km's to the coast with the TPMS chiming all the way there :pat:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah Phil :) I knew there was 3, read about it the wheels section, just seems strange that even after so many days it still showing I have 30PSI + in all tyres on the EVIC, I was just thinking that I might have disrupted the system from open circuiting the receiver in the right hand rear wheel arch thats all.

Time will only tell, I am going away for about a month holiday so it would be interesting to see on my return trip when I refit the 18's I will not disconnect the RHR receiver and see how that goes, only tried this as I wasn't really keen on travelling 1500km's to the coast with the TPMS chiming all the way there :pat:
The chiming becomes very annoying. I have a double hit at the moment. The alert chimes rings telling me I have a sensor problem which alternates every 5 minutes with a faulty airbag module fault!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chiming becomes very annoying. I have a double hit at the moment. The alert chimes rings telling me I have a sensor problem which alternates every 5 minutes with a faulty airbag module fault!
stuff that :pat:

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
What sort of tyre valves are you using in the 18's now Wog Boy?
Is it possible that the tyre shop supplied you with new sensors for the 24's & the original sensors are now still in place?

By all means though, it may be just a case of the system being spiked as you said! Hopefully it stays that way hehe :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What sort of tyre valves are you using in the 18's now Wog Boy?
Is it possible that the tyre shop supplied you with new sensors for the 24's & the original sensors are now still in place?

By all means though, it may be just a case of the system being spiked as you said! Hopefully it stays that way hehe :biggrin:
Well what can I say :) It took over 1400km's and the system finally beat me and sorted its self out and now notices that I have no tyre pressure transmitters fitted on the car, after all that mucking around IMO I reckon it was a waste of time as the chime is really not that annoying.

Phil, the original pressure sensors were transfered into the 24's from the factory alloys by the previous owner and the factory alloys just have the standard black shrouder stem fitted. Yeah I was just curious and asked the question that's all, also being in the automotive seen I just did it to see what would happen, surely there must be a way around this like you mentioned before, can it really be that complex?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Really, its just a matter of changing some 1's - 0's & vice versa on the programming side of things.. but getting access to the 1's & 0's is the hard bit!
Look how long it took for Diablo to develope the predator, & thats just for the PCM.
Another issue is that the TPMS is integrated with the wireless control module (WCM - heart & soul of the immobiliser system).. something that the aftermarket probably doesnt want to mess with.

Chrysler's engineers bringing out a flash / option to disable TPMS - :fing02:
... i doubt it would ever happen though.

Cheers
Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts