Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your 300 has a factory sunroof, have you noticed dimples in the roof at each of the 4 corners of the sunroof?

I'm asking because my car is in the shop for some cosmetic repair. While the force of a wheel hitting my front grille and fascia caused some damage to the frontend, the body shop believes there was some stress on the roof as well. They pointed out these dimples on teh roof at each corner of the sunroof.

I took a look at some new cars at the dealership. Unfortunately, these cars were all outside and had not been cleaned yet. When dirty, it is not as noticeable. Also, the lighter colors do not appear to be as noticeable. My car was just detailed before the mishap, so teh top is still shinny. But I took a towel and at the right angles on darker colored 300s on teh dealer's lot, I could clearly see dimples on some of the roofs of the new cars.

Anyone else notice this?

At present, the only real damage to my car is limited to the front fascia and the bumper beam behind it. I don't want them tampering with my roof if it is not necessary.

If you get a chance, take a good look at your roofs with factory sunroofs and let me know if you see what I'm talking about. Especially if you have a black car.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took a good look at mine and have no dimples. Since the openings are made at the factory they would be seen during installation. My color is jade so I might not see them but if they were noticeable I be complaining to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Bus Rydr said:
If your 300 has a factory sunroof, have you noticed dimples in the roof at each of the 4 corners of the sunroof?

I'm asking because my car is in the shop for some cosmetic repair. While the force of a wheel hitting my front grille and fascia caused some damage to the frontend, the body shop believes there was some stress on the roof as well. They pointed out these dimples on teh roof at each corner of the sunroof.

I took a look at some new cars at the dealership. Unfortunately, these cars were all outside and had not been cleaned yet. When dirty, it is not as noticeable. Also, the lighter colors do not appear to be as noticeable. My car was just detailed before the mishap, so teh top is still shinny. But I took a towel and at the right angles on darker colored 300s on teh dealer's lot, I could clearly see dimples on some of the roofs of the new cars.

Anyone else notice this?

At present, the only real damage to my car is limited to the front fascia and the bumper beam behind it. I don't want them tampering with my roof if it is not necessary.

If you get a chance, take a good look at your roofs with factory sunroofs and let me know if you see what I'm talking about. Especially if you have a black car.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve, I took a GOOD look at mine. I have the factory sunroof, just washed and waxed the car and the lighting is perfect for your request. Yes, if one was to really look close and have the perfect lighting etc. there are dimples on the four corners. Now if your car took a good hit, it could exacerbate the dimple effect to a more noticeable point.

Anyone else...?

Moose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back. IMO, I don't feel the hit was that much of an impact. There is no radiator damage, no air bag deployment, no fender or hood damage.

But at the same time, I can see these dimples now that they have been pointed out.

If I get more confirmation that others see this also and I can find a showroom floor black 300 that also shows this trend, I want to pass on the roof "repair".

Keep the feedback coming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went and looked at mine, 06 BB C.
I have dimples in the corner of my factory sunroof. Slight dimples, but they are there.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Bus Rydr,
no problem with mine...
factory as well...
no dimples...

a tire!
wholly frijoles!!!
hope everything and everyone are ok.
Sincerely,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dimples Too

MY 2006 BLACK 300C HAS THEM TOO, NOT THAT BAD BUT THERE.
Bus Rydr said:

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cbutler32 said:
Bus Rydr,
no problem with mine...
factory as well...
no dimples...

a tire!
wholly frijoles!!!
hope everything and everyone are ok.
Sincerely,
All was okay after the collision. I did not get hurt at all and thanks for your concern. I was driving alone. But imagine getting hit by a wheel of all things.

I know I don't want there to be any damage to the roof, but I do feel better about my observation with the feed back that others see what I'm seeing as normal.

I think I'll have them check the operation of the sunroof, check for seal/water tight fit and call it a day.

Thanks everyone for your input. And I hope I didn't damage anyone's impression of their car by pointing out these dimples :stups:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Bus Rydr said:
All was okay after the collision. I did not get hurt at all and thanks for your concern. I was driving alone. But imagine getting hit by a wheel of all things.

I know I don't want there to be any damage to the roof, but I do feel better about my observation with the feed back that others see what I'm seeing as normal.

I think I'll have them check the operation of the sunroof, check for seal/water tight fit and call it a day.

Thanks everyone for your input. And I hope I didn't damage anyone's impression of their car by pointing out these dimples :stups:
not at all...
I only have 18 paint defects in my orange peel paint job...
so dimples...
that would be an "upgrade"...:biggrin:
glad you are ok!
and no broken windshield...
amazing...

·
Registered
203 Posts
dimples

Bus Rydr said:

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,

Steve
Hi, I just ran down to my garage to check my sun roof. My car is silver and even though my car is a year old and I washed it dozens of times without noticeing dimples, if you look real close I see the slightest bit of a dimple. It is not enough to make me worry about mine. I think the space between the hood and the fenders is worse. I actually believe the workmanship on the "03"
Durango I traded for the 300 had better workmanship as far as fitting tolerance; but I still love my 300C.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
I just checked the four corners of my clean sunroof while out in the bright sunlight...absolutely no dimples or ripples of any sort. (color is bright silver, build 7/04))

bruno

·
Registered
56 Posts
Other dimples!

My Bright Silver doesn't have dimples near the sun roof, but there were dimples at the base of each pannel where the roof pillar meets the panel near the trunk next to the rear window. I had a paintless dent remover take them out for $50. There also are pressure marks where every door handle is connected. The paintless dent remover guy said this is a chrysler and not a $100K mercedes. He pointed out how the front and rear bumper covers don't line up very even with the fenders, how wide the hood and fender gaps are, and how the paint is not a very even silver (you can actually see light and dark areas). He said that is just the difference in makes of cars. I went and checked other cars at the dealer and same things, well OK maybe for $100K cash.

I noticed these things before, but always thought I was just being too much of a perfectionist. But, I am still a happy owner who would not trade this car in!

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
no problems here

our car has no visible dimples. very nearly a defect free paint job. good panel fit.

No problems here!

·
Banned
34 Posts
shelsmith67 said:
My Bright Silver doesn't have dimples near the sun roof, but there were dimples at the base of each pannel where the roof pillar meets the panel near the trunk next to the rear window. I had a paintless dent remover take them out for $50. There also are pressure marks where every door handle is connected. The paintless dent remover guy said this is a chrysler and not a $100K mercedes. He pointed out how the front and rear bumper covers don't line up very even with the fenders, how wide the hood and fender gaps are, and how the paint is not a very even silver (you can actually see light and dark areas). He said that is just the difference in makes of cars. I went and checked other cars at the dealer and same things, well OK maybe for $100K cash.

I noticed these things before, but always thought I was just being too much of a perfectionist. But, I am still a happy owner who would not trade this car in!
Well look, I know everybody, and every situation, has specific differences, that makes them unique, but this seems to be a silly observation. My wife drives a 2004 BMW 745i and the paint job on that car looks worse than my 300Csrt8. I have gone over every single INCH of this Chrysler (because i'm a waxing/cleaning moron) and think the "fit and finish" on this car to be top rate. It seems to me that guy you were speaking too, was a bit daft about the facts. :pat:

I also have NO "pressure" marks by my door handles, nor dimples on my roof (on my ASS perhaps, but NOT my 300's roof) and my bumpers line up close to what MY eye sees as 99% perfect.

Every car that is produced by ANY manufacturer, has small idiosyncrasicies that set them apart, or make them different (in both good ways and bad) that's just simply mathematics. Also, I have seen MB after MB that had God aweful paint jobs...so its really a matter of perspective.

BTW...a roughly $50,000 car isn't dog doodie as far as car pricing goes. As a matter of fact, I think a $50,000 car would be considered an "expensive" car by a great many people...actually, I know it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a dimple on the driver's side rear. I thought it was strange at first so I drove up to a dealer and looked at other 300s with moonies. Most had a dimple or two.

·
Registered
354 Posts
shelsmith67 said:

You said there were dimples at the base of each pannel where the roof pillar meets the panel near the trunk next to the rear window. I call these creases and I have them on the driver and passenger side. They are on the roof and run parallel with the plastic molding that runs along the length of the roof above the windows/doors. I am curious to know if this is exactly what you have. mine look like roof gutters and at first I thought they were normal. My drivers side is worse then my passenger side. If these are the same how did your paintless dent guy get them out? Did he drop the headliner? In my opinion DCX should be paying for this and oh by the way i do have atleast one dimple on the roof where the sunroof is. Great car but quite frankly quality control is suspect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, you are right every car does have its differences and this car is definitely not cheap. I was just in the market for a new 2006 large sedan and was choosing between a 750Li, S500, or the CSRT8. I am definitely happy with my choice and wouldn't go with the others if I had to choose again. Each had features which the others didn't, but in the end HP definitely was a factor.

I do feel the finish quality is a bid behind higher end cars, but that is just IMO. My wifes car is a 2 yr old Highlander and the paint quality on the Toyota/Lexus are unreal (in general).

More than the paint finish, the fitment quality (the bumper covers) and the slight (and I mean slight) pressure waves drives me nuts, even though I would have to point them out to most people.

Again, I am very happy with this car and all of its features and it is the best car I have owned (of the 16 others I've had in the past), there is just a few things that would be on my critique form to DChrysler:
1-'Disc Error' radio need to be replaced
2-Great Braking, too much dust (will be solved once aftermarket ceramics for the front available)
3-No Nav Database for Hawaii (I know, how do you get lost on an island, but we are the USA and should be included)
4-No Sirius coverage (not Chrysler's fault, but they could lean on Sirius for coverage, turn on the Sats over the Pacific)
5-Don't even have the plastic pop rivets for fenders in their parts computer (had to use after market ones)

Village Idiot! said:
Well look, I know everybody, and every situation, has specific differences, that makes them unique, but this seems to be a silly observation. My wife drives a 2004 BMW 745i and the paint job on that car looks worse than my CSRT8. I have gone over every single INCH of this Chrysler (because i'm a waxing/cleaning moron) and think the "fit and finish" on this car to be top rate. It seems to me that guy you were speaking too, was a bit daft about the facts. :pat:

I also have NO "pressure" marks by my door handles, nor dimples on my roof (on my ASS perhaps, but NOT my 300's roof) and my bumpers line up close to what MY eye sees as 99% perfect.

Every car that is produced by ANY manufacturer, has small idiosyncrasicies that set them apart, or make them different (in both good ways and bad) that's just simply mathematics. Also, I have seen MB after MB that had God aweful paint jobs...so its really a matter of perspective.

BTW...a roughly $50,000 car isn't dog doodie as far as car pricing goes. As a matter of fact, I think a $50,000 car would be considered an "expensive" car by a great many people...actually, I know it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts