Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News article I came across today talking about cts-v and also mentioning how the 300csrt-8 is a better car all the way around for less money!!! :nutkick: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0506/01/G03-199656.htm quote-"But the basic CTS still retains too many flaws that were not addressed on the V-series, and there are too many competitors who do it so much better. Let me cite only one example -- the Chrysler 300C SRT-8 -- which is bigger than the CTS-V, has more displacement and horsepower, and better ride quality and essentially kicks the Cadillac's butt, for about 10 grand less."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Damn... they really loved it - NOT!

That is one fugly ride. I now understand why SHE didn't want to admit it was her ride.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just can't agree... the CTS-V is fugly!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i think the cts-v is a pretty cool ride,but i also agree with the comments with the srt-8 being much more of a car,than just peformance.you can feel that just by sitting inside of it,much less driving it.just overall,ride,fit,finish,performance,size,comfort,Luxury,you seem to get alot more vehicle for the price in the srt-8.It(SRT-8), might very well be the best total package luxury performance car at an affordable price in the world!! :nutkick:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Paul and Anita Leinart write for the Detroit Free Press and know less about cars than my Grandmother. They don't like GM vehicles (who does), have a predilection toward prozaic sedans and Japanese cars. They did like the 300C and SRT8 Though, so they aren't always wrong!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have only seen the CTS-V on the road, so I can't attest to a real world, hands-on test. It looks like it is a bit small, not nearly as roomy as the 300, then of course there is the fact that it probably is slightly qucker than the SRT8, MAYBE, that would mostly depend on the drivers. But when you cosider what these things COST??!!! Then I think that there is no comparison.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First lets talk about cost. GM just announced that it will be selling all cars at GM Employee cost and the CTS-V is included in that. Also all rebates STILL apply. I'm pretty sure that employee discount on a new V is somewhere around $46k.

The V was built specifically to compete against the M3 and M5 and GM did a great job at beating both of them for alot less money. The car's suspension was built for the Ring and it was built as a factory race car, that is why it has stiffer bushings and stiffer shocks and gives you a little harsher ride than the 300 and that is why the V only comes with a manual transmission. The 300 has the powertrain to compete, but it seems that Chrysler opted for a smoother riding touring car than an all out race car.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have had it said that my V was ugly and when I tell people I may get the SRT-8 some say its ugly. Both companies took a chance with a new design (GM especially) and that is what American car companies need to do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another thing they failed to mention was that the only option they had was a $1200 sunroof is because the V comes loaded with every available option. A loaded CTS is about $43k so it is a $8k option, not a $20k option. They also mention the sunroof as the only option...wrong... The rediline paint color is an option that adds like a grand to the total. How about judging the car for what it was built for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
LWOOD said:
Paul and Anita Leinart write for the Detroit Free Press and know less about cars than my Grandmother. They don't like GM vehicles (who does), have a predilection toward prozaic sedans and Japanese cars. They did like the 300C and SRT8 Though, so they aren't always wrong!
I thought I as the only one that felt this way. These two are the worst yuppie, forgeign car loving, domestic car hatin people I have ever read. They always knock the U.S. car makers. I was surprised that they liked the 300 so much. I guess they had to jump on the bandwagon with the other writers. All Anita ever talks about is how many cupholders a car has and if the vanity mirrors are any good.

·
Registered
332 Posts
U tell em, big slim. LOL
just let it all out.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Whoa! I'm not dissing your ride, but what you said is far from fair:

GNSCOTT said:
but it seems that Chrysler opted for a smoother riding touring car than an all out race car.
You obviously have not driven an SRT-8! That's all I can say. You have no idea how solid this chassis is and how firmly it plants the wheels with VERY minimal roll. I've driven many cars, I can't say I've driven a V, but again, I'm not comparing cars here. The SRT-8 and CTS-v's are NOT all out race cars.

I can't tell you how they compare, but I can say I see the CTS-V placed 61 vs. the SRT-8's 6th in the One Lap of America. ;)

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2005/results/OVL_CUM.HTM

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6895

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have had it said that my V was ugly and when I tell people I may get the SRT-8 some say its ugly. Both companies took a chance with a new design (GM especially) and that is what American car companies need to do.
I agree. Both looks are bold and I like that over the subdued, conservative, dime-a-dozen imports.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Here's my response to that retarded article from a different thread:

As soon as I looked at the picture of the two chuckle heads that wrote the article, I knew it would suck.

I just want to pimp slap that broad for the things she was saying. Especially the shallow crap at the hair salon.

A lot of nerve she has making fun of the "Dairy Queen Jocks" not being the demographic considering she's more interested in color coordinating her Lee press on nails with her cheap shit Prada knock off. She should be driving a Lexus 330 or something equally as unexciting.

That article just plain blew.

Oh, and the guy is a frickin' Puss wad too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
vvv90 said:
Whoa! I'm not dissing your ride, but what you said is far from fair:

You obviously have not driven an SRT-8! That's all I can say. You have no idea how solid this chassis is and how firmly it plants the wheels with VERY minimal roll. I've driven many cars, I can't say I've driven a V, but again, I'm not comparing cars here. The SRT-8 and CTS-v's are NOT all out race cars.

I can't tell you how they compare, but I can say I see the CTS-V placed 61 vs. the SRT-8's 6th in the One Lap of America. ;)

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/History/2005/results/OVL_CUM.HTM

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6895

I agree. Both looks are bold and I like that over the subdued, conservative, dime-a-dozen imports.

Lets wait to see the SRT-8's lap times on the ring. There is no other track in the world like the Ring and there is no other track in the world that can bring out a car's weakness' like the ring. It is and always will be the benchmark for testing a performance car's performance. The V has already beaten the M3's and M5's time to prove itself.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
GNSCOTT said:
Lets wait to see the SRT-8's lap times on the ring. There is no other track in the world like the Ring and there is no other track in the world that can bring out a car's weakness' like the ring. It is and always will be the benchmark for testing a performance car's performance. The V has already beaten the M3's and M5's time to prove itself.
Fair enough, but don't underestimate the 8....., and now that I bought one, I can tell you I did. :eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually give respect to both cars,because my brother owns a cts-v and also works at gm and I had posted this on a different thread as far as discounts go,the Only problem with that is, that's 05 pricing which is considered a year old already!!My brother works for gm and the discount on a fully loaded 2005 cts-v with sunroof,sticker would be close to 53,000,with discount would come to around 47,100 and that's including a 1000 bonus included in that price because its a year old and they haven't been able to sell their stock of new 2005 cts-v's actually built last year as 05 models!! Being its a year old, its actually has already loss some depreciation!! 06 pricing will not be out until aug-sept time frame!! I been in his car and the part I do like is that's its pretty fast with the manual transmission and all,but after saying that I think IMO,the srt-8 is better all the way around in size,feeling,comfort,luxury,seats,performance,you just get alot more car for the the price.Can't wait till we both get a chance to race each other!! :sly:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Speaking of the Ring, Caddy gets credit for suspension development there, they are the one bright spot at dim GM. Walter Rohrl in the new Porsche Cayman beat the Carrera by 4 seconds! This guy has more than 20,000 laps there testing for Porsche. It would be fascinating to see what the 8 will do there, who will do it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The auto tranny will hurt the SRT-8 at the ring. There are many that would not cosider an auto like the SRT-8's (although very capable) to be a true road race vehicle. I am not sure how your trannys compare to the M3's auto, but I have heard that no one is in BMW's class when it comes to it. Even with the M3's auto, there is still not as much controll over a car that does not have a foot clutch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts