Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my SRT8 to the dealer this morning for the radiator flush treatment and he told me my right bank head gasket was leaking. I only have 14K miles on it so it's covered but has anyone else have this problem?

I bought it used and the CARMAX stated it was a corporate lease... I hope it was ragged out...any input would appreciatedb

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
atypical

across multiple forums I have seen virtually no other cars with this symptom. Probably a manufacturing error. Good luck at your dealer.

And rest assured, you can run any gasoline available in America without any pinging. There will be no engine damage, only reduced power.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can almost guarantee that this car (srt 8)has never had the gas grade that is recommended. Corporate lease cars seldom use the gasoline required or stated in their manual. They know it will be a short term loaner and therefore take the CHEAP route to operate the vehicle. We had problems will a car rental company who had JAQUARS and people filled it with cheap gas (87) all the time. The rental company no longer rents out higher end cars.

The same experience with my neighbor. He had a Cadillac with 130,000 kilometres and he blew the head too. He also admitted to using 87 gas. He said that he didn't hear any knocking therefore he felt it was justified to using CHEAP gas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. The dealer replaced the head gasket, performed the Rapid Response for the milky radiator fluid...total system flush with a new bottle and cap and I got a new disc for my NAV unit because the one I had didn't work...Very happy NOW

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jerry Ulm Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep in Tampa Florida....good work

·
Registered
195 Posts
across multiple forums I have seen virtually no other cars with this symptom. Probably a manufacturing error. Good luck at your dealer.

And rest assured, you can run any gasoline available in America without any pinging. There will be no engine damage, only reduced power.

Cars have been designed to run on the proper grade of gas due to higher commpression ratio's . 5.7 gets 89 gas, 6.1 gets 91 gas .. You can use 87 gas only if 89 is unavailable at that fill up for the 5.7 and 89 as a temp gas till next fill up for the 6.1 but regular use of lower gas should be avoided..Cars have been blowing head gaskets due to engine ping ever since the 1980's when they started using aluiminum heads with iron blocks to save weight. AS the engine heats aluminum and iron expand at differant rates puting a strain on head gaskets . Add to that vibration from pinging and head gasgets go..

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
lost!

Cars have been designed to run on the proper grade of gas due to higher commpression ratio's . 5.7 gets 89 gas, 6.1 gets 91 gas .. You can use 87 gas only if 89 is unavailable at that fill up for the 5.7 and 89 as a temp gas till next fill up for the 6.1 but regular use of lower gas should be avoided..Cars have been blowing head gaskets due to engine ping ever since the 1980's when they started using aluiminum heads with iron blocks to save weight. AS the engine heats aluminum and iron expand at differant rates puting a strain on head gaskets . Add to that vibration from pinging and head gasgets go..

If you are seriously comparing the Mercedes sourced engine controller with an 80's Camaro, then I can't help you!

But if you're willing to listen I can tell you that these cars can pull HUGE amounts of timing in response to even the SLIGHTEST amount of knock, It's what we've all been working to get right with our Diablo tuners.

Absolutely, positively, you can run any type of pump gas sold in America in an SRT8 and NEVER damage the engine in any way. You will simply lose power and resonse.

And the reason these cars run pig rich with all sensors eager to retard timing is to protect PISTONS, maybe rings, but not head gaskets.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you are seriously comparing the Mercedes sourced engine controller with an 80's Camaro, then I can't help you!

But if you're willing to listen I can tell you that these cars can pull HUGE amounts of timing in response to even the SLIGHTEST amount of knock, It's what we've all been working to get right with our Diablo tuners.

Absolutely, positively, you can run any type of pump gas sold in America in an SRT8 and NEVER damage the engine in any way. You will simply lose power and resonse.

And the reason these cars run pig rich with all sensors eager to retard timing is to protect PISTONS, maybe rings, but not head gaskets.

Any stock car , (no tuner,) compression ratio sets the standard for octane needed. 6.1 has a higher comp ratio than the 5.7 , (more HP ) therefore higher octane gas needed. Engine ping comes from low octane gas in a high comp engine. Knock sensors can only retard timming so much ,but under hard driving there will be damage due to ping. That damage will be in the form of blown head gaskets first, then maybe some ring damage due to severe vibration which ping causes.Iron blocks and iron heads hold up better (motors of yesterday)to ping as well as all aluminum engins do. Iron blocks and aluminum fare the worst due to differant properties of the metals. They expand at differant rates and tend to separate, (blown head gasket).Head gasket materials have improved over the past few years but it is still a problem when incorrect octane gas is used under hard driving.
Now a tunner changers AIR FUEL RATIO's.Lean mixtures burn pistons and valves not low octane.Knock sensors DO NOT protect from lean mixtures they prevent vibration damage( PING )up to a point.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Doctor No, my STR D has an engine controller, so would that mean I can use 87 gas safely without possible damage. I do not run my car hard, just the occasional "PEDAL TO THE METAL."

·
Registered
169 Posts
I remember a friend of mine who used to work at a Ford dealer as a mechanic. It was very common for him to call a leaking head gasket on the Aerostars as long as it was warranty. The customer didn't know better or care as long as it was free of charge. Ford Motor Company would pay for the warranty work, he would perform an oil change and steam clean the engine.

6.5 paid hours for 40 mins time :fing02:

cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts