Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a very strange problem happened to me today. The screen on my 05 300C with nav went out but still plays fm. Not a single button works on the radio except for the volume and power knob. I cant use the buttons on the steering wheel either other than the volume. But like i said it still plays one station on fm. Any ideas? :smashfrea

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Yeah...seen this happen before. The circuit board or soldered connection to the board for the controls and display has failed. They can be fixed, however. Google "REC NAV radio repair".

Or start shopping for a nice new DD head unit of your choice.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any good ones that are straight plug and play that you know of?? I want nah so that's my only request

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
"Plug & Play" don't exist for these cars, especially those with the steering wheel controls. However, any of the Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine head units with NAV will work fine. You'll need an antenna adapter and an adapter harness for the steering wheel controls.

The antenna adapter is a Metra unit (available at CarID) and the harness for the steering wheel controls is:

Number:SWI-RC Category:Steering Wheel Control Interfaces Description:Steering Wheel Control Interface for Alpine, JVC, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Valor, OEM, Boyo, Dual, Visteon, Advent & Blaupunkt Radios
Eclipse radios take a SWI-ECL2

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been having this issue as well for a while. I find that when the unit is cold the screen will come back on - I take mine out when the sirius updates and it switches to AM automatically - I stick it in the freezer for an hour or so - plug it back in and the screen comes on - I can then switch it back to Sirius and get everything set up before it goes black again.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have been having this issue as well for a while. I find that when the unit is cold the screen will come back on - I take mine out when the sirius updates and it switches to AM automatically - I stick it in the freezer for an hour or so - plug it back in and the screen comes on - I can then switch it back to Sirius and get everything set up before it goes black again.
Thats gotta be a real pain

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Plug & Play" don't exist for these cars, especially those with the steering wheel controls. However, any of the Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine head units with NAV will work fine. You'll need an antenna adapter and an adapter harness for the steering wheel controls.

The antenna adapter is a Metra unit (available at CarID) and the harness for the steering wheel controls is:

Number:SWI-RC Category:Steering Wheel Control Interfaces Description:Steering Wheel Control Interface for Alpine, JVC, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Valor, OEM, Boyo, Dual, Visteon, Advent & Blaupunkt Radios
Eclipse radios take a SWI-ECL2
im looking into a Kenwood DNX570HD to replace my factory unit for the same issue. Will I need both of the above listed parts as well and what about a harness to connect the factory wiring to the new headunit?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Regardless of what head unit you will need the antenna adapter.

Do you have steering wheel controls? If so, then you need that harness so you can control the head unit with the steering wheel buttons. Other than that, you are good to go.

The only time you need another wiring harness adapter is if you install an aftermarket amplifier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Regardless of what head unit you will need the antenna adapter.

Do you have steering wheel controls? If so, then you need that harness so you can control the head unit with the steering wheel buttons. Other than that, you are good to go.

The only time you need another wiring harness adapter is if you install an aftermarket amplifier.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. So as far as hooking the factory wire harness to the Kenwood head unit, would I just have to cut the connector off and then crimp/solder the wires together?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts