Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I upgraded my exhaust to a Borla Extreme Catback about 2 years ago, but at the time I totally didn't realize that I could also upgrade headers & midpipes. I should have done the full thing at once (would have saved on labor and time I'm sure since the car woulda been worked on all at once).

Anyways, so I have the Borla Extreme Catback, and I was wondering what the best street legal headers & midpipes would be. I was considering JBA since those seem to be street legal, and aren't too expensive. Borla has only ones for off road use & not road legal, so that's out of the question.

Also, would the JBA Headers & Midpipe work with the Borla Catback?

Any suggestions / tipis / help would be welcome. Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Yes they will work although you may have to have a flange welded onto the downpipe to hook up with the inlet of the borla system. Not a big deal. Any experienced exhaust shop will know what to do.

JBA makes some nice headers. You'll like 'em. Just get them ceramic coated as it helps with reducing underhood heat and it promotes exhaust scavenging.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coo, thx for the quick response. Would the mid pipes with the cats be recommended as well, or should I just stick with stock? They cost as much as the headers so that's y I'm wondering

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
K coo, thx.

Last question, about sound and emissions. I want the car to sound mean obviously, but with the Borla alone it's loud, at times deafening inside the car. I don't mind, but the wife not so much lol. With headers, will it be significantly louder, or just a different more aggressive sound. Also will I need to worry about noise pollution, coz I haven't had any issues so far.

In terms of emissions, can I still safely pass etests? I plan on keeping my car for as long as she'll go, so I need to be able to pass those.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
SRT headers and mids will also make just as much power as JBA shorties, the SRT mids flow almost as well as aftermarket 5.7 high flows and the whole setup will cost you less than half! Not saying JBA and Magnaflow aren't good products, maddog is right on that for sure, just can't really justify them when the SRT ones do the same thing and are of very similar construction. Sound levels will increase even on a stock catback, but not obnoxious, the overall sound will depend on what you do to the catback really... mine snarls but the wife doesn't mind it inside with the Windows up. I get comments on it all the time from people liking it... just pick your poison cautiously and get what you want pal!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: DarthXan

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
The sound will change, probably a bit deeper but no quieter. Do you have resonators?

I have no idea what your emissions regulations are like so I can't comment on whether or not this system will pass the regulations.

I do know that JBA headers are CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified so they are legal in all 50 states here in the US. I don't know if there is any reciprocity.

silver06hemic makes a good point on using the OEM SRT exhaust manifolds. They are basically shorty headers. With the SRT pipes, cats (you'll need a reducer for the pipe size difference), the Borla system and a pair of resonators on the back it may quiet down a bit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, I'll go with the SRTs then to save some money. Could I get them from mopar? Or a Chrysler dealer?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Yes they will fit and yes they work with your pipes. You may have to make a up a bit of pipe length but that's no big deal. You'll also want an EGR block off plate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked for srt mid pipes but I can't find any. I also called chrysler and they don't sell just the headers and mids... so should I just go ahead and order those stainless steel headers for 250, price seems good. also what is an egr back off plate?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Could MADDOG or Silver06HemiC answer a quick question, actually two questions. I currently have JBA Shorty Headers and Borla Touring Cat back exhaust with stock mids on my 2012 5.7. I have a CAI and Diablo tune on the car also. I really love the way the car sounds now. Deep, throaty but not to loud. I didn't go with low flow mids because without a cam and/or heads I felt that the headers and cat back have ample flow for my engine. Was this a correct assumption on my part? Second question. If I do install low flow cats, how much louder will they be. I have been thinking about a cam and I would add the cats at the same time, but I am worried that the low flow cats will make the car louder than it already is. Don't really want that. How much would I be giving up if I went with a cam and kept the stock mids? (Ok, 3 questions.)

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Depends on cam really pal, if you're going with a tq cam that isn't too aggressive, maybe up to about a comp 268 level you will be fine with stock mids...heck, technically you will be fine even with a big azz cam like an SRT Max advanced a few degrees with stock mids, worst case scenario you foul them or they break up and you can punch them out. I'm sure you'll be fine....however for a nice little power gain while doing a cam I'd upgrade them as well, motor is a big air pump, air in air out...increase the ability to pull and use air you need to be able to get rid of it, slowing the flow a little is fine to allow scavenging, too much and its detrimental to hp... ok I'm blabbing!

Yes your fine now..

What cam later will determine the necessity of high flows... :)

Reactions: Jim910

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Thanks. In your experience, how much louder are low flow mids over stock.

2012 300S 5.7 V8

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Thanks. In your experience, how much louder are low flow mids over stock.

2012 300S 5.7 V8
Yeah you can hear them, but to me they just make it a little more raspy...I gutted mine and now it's a little deeper than before, but not crazy loud... I don't think it will bug your wife too much, it doesn't mine really...

Reactions: Jim910

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think I'll go with the JBA shorties and high flow mids, though I'll wait a bit coz of the price. I did consider the SRT ones but I can't find a midpipe, and I would like to purchase new parts, not refurbished. Also all I can find is stainless steel and MadDog suggested Ceramic due to less heating. Are there any disadvantages to ceramic?

I was also wondering if those JBA headers / mids combined with the borla extreme catback will make a super loud sound, coz I want a growl but not deafening. I don't have my resonators in, so currently my MDS is off coz the drone is deafening. Can resonators go back on with the borla catback? If so, would it severely dampen the sound coz I don't want to ruin the overall sound, just make it bearable, plus I can re-enable MDS to save some gas.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with a set up used SRT headers and mids if you can get them with lower miles... Mine had 40k on them... I have put 60k on them and no issues... I gutted my cats at 30k and they looked like new.

Annnyway... your choice entirely and as you say finding them can be hard... I have found a few sets though in 5 mins on the computer. Keep in mind the JBA's and high flow mids will be 2.5" not the increased 2.75" diameter from the SRT, if that matters to you I'm not sure.

Ceramic does keep the heat down in the engine bay yes... disadvantage... expense... that's about it.

You can't put back on resonators with a custom catback without some cutting and welding... it also defeats the purpose of a catback which removes the restriction and creates sound, to add things back in and kill it again. With the high flow mids and JBA's, I think it will be fine, it's not going to be Prius quiet but it won't be farm tractor loud either pal. Just add a little more sound from the headers and mids, but mainly a change in note... and power. ;)

Reactions: DarthXan
1 - 20 of 43 Posts