Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a 2006 300c srt8 I bought the car last winter and 2 days ago I noticed I had a headlight out drivers side so I turn my lights off and back on and the headlight came back on so tonight after work me and a buddy noticed it was flickering and was a different color than the passenger side

my headlights have always been a dark blue color for the first 30 seconds or so after I start my car then I don't know what happens it seems like they warm up and go from dark blue to like ice blue

now the drivers side is just staying that dark blue then the passenger side turns to the ice blue or almost a white color I have no clue we pulled the passenger side out because it was easier to get to and they look like the photo I included

I have no idea if there those hid types that have a ballast I cant seem to see any under the hood if the bulbs need replaced id like to replace them all so the colors all match the fog lights are that ugly white looking yellow anyone have any suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Those are D1S HID bulbs. The ballasts are underneath but part of the headlight housing itself.

Sounds like one of the bulbs is on its last legs.

Check the ballasts though too.

Your fogs are most likely OEM halogens. You'll need to get an HID kit to install so that you can have HIDs in the fogs.

If you want your lows/fogs to match get all four from the same manufacturer. Go with 6000K in color temp. Nice ice blue with good, useable light output. OEM HIDs are 4300K in color making them a boring whitish color.

Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
10000K will be almost useless as a headlight, IMHO. You don't want that if you want to use the headlights to see. Your local law enforcement may have an issue with them as well.

Get some 6000 or 8000 D1S bulbs for the low beams and get the same value for the fogs. The foglight HID it should include the bulbs, harness and ballasts.

Here's a chart that might help with the color:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree 100%. I had 12000 color bulbs and they were useless. You'll find they are the worst in the rain. I couldn't see anything. Its why car manufacturers choose about a 4200 color rating. They even put 3k in the fog lamps for better visibility. Anyway, I've lived that dream... never again! And and and I forgot to mention I got a ticket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
No auto has factory fog HIDs in them. They're illegal. Why? I have no f'ing clue.

You'll need to purchase an HID kit and the correct size bulb to fit in the stock fog housing (9145 or H10).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
On that Ebay link. 10K is not a good choice for color or light output. You're best bet is 6K.

Also, $21.99 for the pair...damn cheap. Makes me wonder about their quality. Stock D1S bulbs new from the dealer can be close to $100 per bulb!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had 10k in my projectors of my mk4 couple years ago and found it alright, as long as your not driving at 200mph it works pretty good and lights up all the speed signs blue, in ontario as long as you have a projection headlight then youll get away with 4-12k with no bitching, when you start running 30,000k thats where the tickets start......

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Factory fogs are not HID. However, HID kits are available and easy to install. They require no computer reflash or any special installation except picking a good spot to mount the ballasts.

I would not recommend D1S in 10000K for your low beams. They just won't work that well at night and in the rain. 8000K is as high as I go. Stock lowbeam HID's are 4300K, which looks a lot like the slightly yellowish halogen bulbs. 6000K is a crystal white and 8000 is a bit brighter with a tinge of blue in them. I run 8000K in my low beams and fogs. They look like this:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts