Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Part Notes:
Automatic Controled Headlights
Part #68019789AE replaces: 4602348AC, 4602348AD, 4602775AA, 68019789AA, 68019789AB, 68019789AC, 68019789AD

These are the notes for the headlight switch I bought. It replaces one of the part no you listed Simon but I'm still a bit confused. Is the one I bought ok for 2007 3.0 CRD Touring?

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
All of those part numbers I listed fit saloon and touring. I don't think its your switch. Have you tried disconnecting the headlight translator module located by the washer bottle filler?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I haven't looked at the diagrams in detail, but at a guess you could try disconnecting the plug on the headlight switch and see what happens. If the lights go out it would point to there still being a possible problem with the new switch.

I think you could check the switch with an ohmmeter, its just a series of contacts and resistors I believe (Not like a conventional switch that just makes pairs of contacts). But this does rely on you being able to interpret the readings correctly or comparing the readings with another switch which is obviously not possible unless you compare with the original switch which may not be conclusive.

The switch basically feeds a change of resistance values across 3 connections and feeds these values to the Instrument cluster depending on the switch position, so if there were any nipped or chaffed wires between the Headlight switch and the Instrument cluster it could cause the lights to remain on at all times.
Just unplug the lights and I suspect the lights should go out (But only a guess). If they don't go out check for voltages or resistance values (Shorts) on the wires where the switch would normally connect to the Instrument Cluster.

Jack

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I unplug the switch the lights go out, but I didn't have time to troubleshoot any further. It's with a mechanic now and I hope he can sort it out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Haven't read all of the thread so maybe not relevant but..
I replaced 68019901AB ( non auto HL ) with 68020012AB ( auto HL ) with no problems. 2007 CRD Tourer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Haven't read all of the thread so maybe not relevant but..
I replaced 68019901AB ( non auto HL ) with 68020012AB ( auto HL ) with no problems. 2007 CRD Tourer.
Where is the fog light switch on the auto one please, and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
262 Posts
On both switches the Fog & Driving lights are activated by pushing the main rotary HL switch. Only difference is new one has an "A" position. Seem to recall it was about £40.

·
Registered
687 Posts
On both switches the Fog & Driving lights are activated by pushing the main rotary HL switch. Only difference is new one has an "A" position. Seem to recall it was about £40.
Thanks. They are different then on the saloon and Tourer. My 57 plate saloon has a seperate fog light switch below the rotary headlight switch. I was hoping your replacement switch was similar, but with the A position.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The mechanic got no error codes from the computer, and he is convinced that it is the switch which is faulty. He called Mercedes (who service Chrysler here in Denmark) and they did not recognise the part number of the replacement switch I bought, so a new original switch is ordered and will be here on tuesday. He also told me that the replacement switch only has 5 pins where the original has 6 pins.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The switch with the separate fog light button can be modded to give you free Auto headlights. Search the forum for the thread.

Mine couldn't, when I eased the knob off there were springs and ball bearing pinging all over the place. Managed to remove it and rebuild until the new switch came :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Strange things happen . . .

My headlights are working again and I did nothing!

Noticed yesterday when unlocking the car that the headlights came on as they're supposed to so I checked the switch and everything works now. The lights are on when in the 0 position but that's probably a mod made in Denmark, as we are required by law to have the lights on during daytime also. The parking light position works and also the front and rear fog lights.

I should be happy but now I still don't know what the problem was/is!! I even tried both headlight switches and both work.

Must be a loose connection somewhere!

:confused:

·
Registered
687 Posts

Noticed yesterday when unlocking the car that the headlights came on as they're supposed to so I checked the switch and everything works now. The lights are on when in the 0 position but that's probably a mod made in Denmark, as we are required by law to have the lights on during daytime also. The parking light position works and also the front and rear fog lights.

I should be happy but now I still don't know what the problem was/is!! I even tried both headlight switches and both work.

Self mending car, wouldn't mind one of those myself :fing02:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

At a guess some moisture got in the Front Fuse Box where the final switching on is done and its dried out eventually.

Dont suppose youve been engine washing in that area.

Jack

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well, it might avoid confusion over the function of lights - I've seen some cars using lower lights as corner/driving lights and DRL substitutes. I'd always though A-classes don't have front fogs - they all do, built into the headlights, and the bumper lights are driving lights!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts