Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solved: Heated seats not working. Lights go off after a few seconds.

Ok, did some searching and found other people having similar issues, but I didn't see much for actual fixes other then taking it to a dealer. Before I do that, I just wanted to see if there is anything I can try.

Car: 2010 300C SRT8
Problem: Neither heated seat works. Lights on the switches turn on, but typically turn back off after a few seconds.

The rundown:
I think think this may be related either to my Tranzformer install or possibly reattaching the side panel of my driver's seat, which was done at the same time. I can't be sure, as I hadn't tried my heated seats since last winter. I've also been getting lots of "fob not detected" messages on the EVIC and I'm thinking it might all be related. The Tranzformer does seem to be working fine.
I've checked the connection to the HSM and tried looking at all of the other connections under the seats, and I don't see any issues there. I've also unplugged the Tranzformer. Neither of those fixed the problem. About the only thing I haven't done that I can think of is to disconnect all of the Tranzformer connections from the wire taps.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. Hoping maybe someone knows what all can specifically cause an issue like this. I'll probably call the Chrysler dealership tomorrow and find out what it would cost them to look at it. From the research I've done it sounds like they can hook it up to a scanner that may tell them where the issue is.

Help! My bum is getting cold:booty:

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
935 Posts
Only other thing I can think of that could be a possibility would be the heated seat elements failing. Although it would be a coincidence to have both seats fail at the same time.

No TSB's related to this issue.

Good luck on getting this resolved asap!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your fuses and relays as well.
I'm sure I can look them up when I get home, but if you happen to know what fuses to check that would be great. Also, are the relays near the fuses?

How do I check the relays? I'm assuming I just check the fuses with a mutlimeter, but not sure the correct way to check if a relay is good.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
935 Posts
Fuse for the Heated Seats is in cavity #5 of the REAR Power Distribution Center (30 Amp Pink fuse)

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
A relay will "click" when a power source is run through it. They sometimes overheat and click off, which is an indicator they are failing and need to be replaced.

If the seat heating comes on, then goes off, it may be an intermittent short in the heating coil itself. That's gonna be a LOT harder to track down.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have this issue as well but usually only when it's cold outside and even then only when I first start up the car and turn the seats on before it hits idle RPM for a few seconds. I'd be curious if you wait for the car to hit idle RPM for a few seconds then turn them on if the issue persists as that seems to have done the trick for me so far. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'll do some checking this evening. Really hoping I can figure out the problem so I don't have to pay the stealership.

The "fob not detected" messages have me worried that the problem is not specifically related to the heated seats, but rather something higher level, but perhaps the two issues are unrelated.

So far it seems like everything else in the car is working properly. Really would like to get these little issues sorted out before I attempt to install my Procharger.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have this issue as well but usually only when it's cold outside and even then only when I first start up the car and turn the seats on before it hits idle RPM for a few seconds. I'd be curious if you wait for the car to hit idle RPM for a few seconds then turn them on if the issue persists as that seems to have done the trick for me so far. (Knock on wood)
Mine seems to be any time. Does it if the engine isn't running, does it if I try right after starting up, and does it after I've been driving around for a while.

Every once and a while the lights will stay on for closer to 30 seconds, but usually it is just a few. Not sure if that possibly points more towards a relay, or possibly the heater element.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, turns out my problems were related to the Tranzformer. Unplugged it yesterday and my heated seats started working and the fob message went away. Tried going back and fourth a couple times just to confirm. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Z Automotive to see if he thinks it is a defective part or something related to my install.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Well, turns out my problems were related to the Tranzformer. Unplugged it yesterday and my heated seats started working and the fob message went away. Tried going back and fourth a couple times just to confirm. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Z Automotive to see if he thinks it is a defective part or something related to my install.
You mentioned in your original post that you unplugged it already.

Glad its working for you though. Where is the transformer located that you unplugged?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mentioned in your original post that you unplugged it already.

Glad its working for you though. Where is the transformer located that you unplugged?
Yeah, I'm sure I had tried unplugging it originally, but only once and I'm thinking I may have not started the car but only turned it to run. Maybe that changed something, or maybe I should have just left it unplugged a little longer.

And just to be clear, when I say Tranzformer, I'm talking about the shift kit from Z Automotive. It is plugged in under the steering column and I have to take the lower steering panel cover off to unplug it...which reminds me, I need to go put my car back together.

Hopefully they can get this sorted out so I can have the Tranzformer installed AND heated seats :).

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Not starting the car could have been the problem.
Hopefully it stays working when you put it all back together

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, works great without the Tranzformer. I'll enjoy my heated seats for now and hope they can sort out the issues I'm having with it installed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, found the problem. Took everything apart to look at the connections and found that one of the t-taps had not seated correctly. Instead of cutting through the insulation it was simply pinching the wire. Clipped it on properly and now it looks like everything is working!

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Makes you wonder why it had been apart to be then not put back together properly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makes you wonder why it had been apart to be then not put back together properly.
The t-taps are put on the CAN wires by the user (i.e. me). The wires need to fit into the slots when closing the taps so they cut the insulation and make contact with the wires. I thought I had checked them all after installing, but apparently this one wasn't quite seated properly and was pinching the wire instead.

So, no fault of the Tranzformer, just the installation. Just wanted to follow-up with what I had found to put this one to rest and give others that might experience the same problem something to check.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Aha. Woopsy. These things happen. It is handy to know what the problem was. Problems like this I usually tag the thread to make it nice and easy to find next time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, so I'm having the same issue currently but havent touched or modified anything. The passenger seat seems to work fine but when I turn on the drivers seat it shows that itll work and shut off 30 seconds later. Is there a transformer or anything I should be looking for to start sourcing the problem or just begin with the relays and fuses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same issue with my 2014 300s.
Rear seat heater have stopped working under warranty. They put me off and held onto my car..claimed to fix it but never did. All it does is turn on..flash then turn off. Not sure what's the go?

Anyone can help in Sydney that would be great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts