Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon C-Team

i have a tapping coming from the engine i've asked this question before and was told that all the hemi's have that tapping sound; well during ole school days it would be called a lifters knocking but new school have me quessing, as to what it could be so here iam asking for help.....
is this something that can be fixed with replacing the cam, liffters etc.....
the car has 167000. miles but still runs great not smoking or nothing just this freaking tapping. i use mobile 1 synthetic and change it every 3-4000 miles.
help me please

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Hemi tick is a real thing... my car sounds like a damn singer sewing machine in a drive through window! Is this sound new or has it always been there?

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Ditto. Mine has tapped since new. It's louder at cold start, then quiets down some but never really goes away.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Normal.

Just don't fill the gas tank with the engine idling.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
After growing up with the Hemi tick I think I'd miss it if it wasnt there

·
Registered
71 Posts
It is absolutely normal to think your Hemi has a serious issue internally. My 6.4 has lots of metallic sounding noises going on at idle. Just the way they are by design.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Andrew are Hemis built "loose" or is there some other reason for the tics? This is my first car with a Hemi so that's why I ask.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Loose tolerance engines are a thing of the past. With today's standards and regulations, auto manufacturers need to make all of their products as efficient as possible. The Hemi isn't an exception. The cause of the noises in our engines is the valvetrain. The hardened seating surfaces giving the valves no cushioning as they open and slam shut.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Why not? I don't do that anyway with this car but I have with others I've owned and had no issues.
In an earlier thread 'Sir Charles' was having an engine stalling problem related to the evaporative purge system when/after filling the gas tank while the engine was idling, so I reminded him here not to fill the gas tank with the engine idling.

So please continue to not fill up with gas with the engine idling to avoid problems.

Reactions: Hemi Man

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few days ago I was stopped at a light and I felt a sudden, light "jump" in my engine and a few minutes later I started hearing a knocking noise....it seems to knock harder when I rev the engine. I had just taken it in to Valvoline a few days prior to get serviced (oil change - 7 qts., 0W-40) and then this....

I am getting a lot of different opinions; valve lifters, restricted oil pan, etc...

Has anyone else experienced this? I have an 06' SRT8 - 95K miles, serviced as recommended.

#Stressing

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
It must be only the 6.1? I have a 2008 with 5.7 engine ,cai and diablo tune,and when it is idling at about
650 rpm you can hardly hear it.57000 kilomiters.When on the road and you step hard on the throttle it
howls at you like a wounded beast.-Ray

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
It must be only the 6.1? I have a 2008 with 5.7 engine ,cai and diablo tune,and when it is idling at about
650 rpm you can hardly hear it.57000 kilomiters.When on the road and you step hard on the throttle it
howls at you like a wounded beast.-Ray
Hahaha! Nope! Mine sounds like a singer sewing machine! It's common in most modern hemi motors... Hemi tick! I have just learned to live with it and drown it out with supercharger whine and blowoff air... Lol

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Took my car to the dealer on Wednesday. got a call back finally on Saturday. The dealer said they don't know what is causing the tick and want to tear the engine down. They claim it is way to loud and is something internal. Should I let them do it now or wait another 50K before the extended warranty runs out?

Tried to upload the video with sound but it is an MP4 file.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
If they will do it under warranty ,why not.But wait until closer to the expiry
date. Just my opinion.Make sure complete valve train on both sides are done
with all new parts,and document every thing related to that repair.Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible fix to the mysterious Hemi tick.

So I found out from another thread a little while ago that the mysterious tick is actually a small exhaust leak at the manifold. This happens when a manifold bolt breaks leaving a spot where there is not enough torque to seal it completely at start up. Once the engine warms up a bit and the manifold heats up and expands, sealing it up and the ticking (exhaust leak) goes away. You would swear it's a lifter tick...but its not.

good afternoon C-Team

i have a tapping coming from the engine i've asked this question before and was told that all the hemi's have that tapping sound; well during ole school days it would be called a lifters knocking but new school have me quessing, as to what it could be so here iam asking for help.....
is this something that can be fixed with replacing the cam, liffters etc.....
the car has 167000. miles but still runs great not smoking or nothing just this freaking tapping. i use mobile 1 synthetic and change it every 3-4000 miles.
help me please

1 - 16 of 16 Posts