Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i was hearing funny noises when turning my wheel all the way left or right. so today i decided to look under my hood with a friend while he was turning the wheel for me. First i noticed my power sterring fluid resivor was very low *which i refilled* and upon looking around i found traces of power sterring fluid all the way at the bottom on my cross member and below the air box where the pump is i see it pissing fluid where when turned very hard right or left. I went to the dealer and was quoted 160$ for the part and another 200$ just to put it in. I work on my vehicles myself but i can't seem to find a chiltons or haynes manual and i was able to get the part shipped to my local part store for 95$.

does anyone have a write up or can tell me where i can get a chiltons to do the work to replace this part asap?

thanks in advance

-John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
any pics??steering parts are normally a remove n replace procedure,take some pics let us have a look

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i know its just its a brand new car to me i've had it 5 months baught it with 56k miles on it i am the second owner and if i could find a chiltons or a haynes manual which tells you how to take it apart and put back together i'd be set. i know its the power sterring pump but i just would like a break down of it exactly. like do i needa pull the pully first? or is it just remove the belt and like 4 bolts holdin it in or wut you know?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I dont work on cars so I dont know how much delete chiltons has but wouldn't you just need the 9528 page Chrysler service manual?

I forgot where but I downloaded the 2006 from a link on one of these forums

It has the below information for the 5.7 including some diagrams

1. Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable (2) from battery post.

2. Siphon power steering fluid from pump reservoir.

3. Remove air cleaner housing and inlet tube to throttle body. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/AIR INTAKE SYSTEM/ AIR CLEANER HOUSING - REMOVAL)

4. Remove serpentine drive belt. (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS -REMOVAL)

5. Remove hose clamp, then supply hose (3) from pump (1).

6. Unthread tube nut, then remove pressure hose (2) from pump (1).

7. Remove three pump mounting bolts (2) through access holes in pulley.

8. Remove pump (1) from engine.

9. If pulley needs removal, (Refer to 19 - STEERING/PUMP/PULLEY - REMOVAL).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ok lets be honest here you were doing doughnuts and then heard your power steering pump make a whining noise.
Chrysler fixed my steeting pump close to 10 times hahah each time after doing massive doughnuts. Just go in there and they should replace it under warranty.
Im surprised they tried to charge you for it, go to another dealership

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I guess you'll have to take the dealer's word that the pump is bad and not just a line.

Anyway, here's the pages you'll need to remove and install it.

What would be a REALLY great idea is for you to take pics of the entire proceedure and do a How To write up for all of us here. It may just help the next guy in your situation just like it would have done for you. Something to consider!!!
-----------------------

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

----------------------

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I guess you could right click on the image, select "Save As" to save them on your computer, then open them up in an image program that will let you resize them.

Bernie

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,167 Posts
Old thread but anyone have the removal process of the pully on the pump, also the belt removal?
Hydraulic pressure for operation of the power steering gear is provided by a belt-driven all-aluminum power steering pump. Most vehicles use a common droop flow rate and constant displacement type pump that is mounted in a common location (left front of engine). The SRT8 power steering pump is a constant-flow type, but appears the same externally and is mounted in the same location as others.

P/S Pump Removal: 5.7L/6.1L

1. Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable from battery post.
2. Siphon power steering fluid from pump reservoir.
3. Remove air cleaner housing and inlet tube to throttle body.
4. Remove serpentine drive belt. (SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW)
5. Remove hose clamp, then supply hose from pump.
6. Unthread tube nut, then remove pressure hose from pump.
7. Remove three pump mounting bolts through access holes in pulley.
8. Remove pump from engine.
9. If pulley needs removal follow instructions below:

PULLEY, Power Steering Pulley Pump/Removal

1. Remove power steering pump from engine.
CAUTION: Do not hammer on power steering pump pulley or shaft to remove power steering pump pulley. This will damage pulley and power steering pump.
2. Mount Puller, Special Tool C-4333A , on power steering pump pulley. Mount Puller (with power steering pump in a vise; Do not mount pump in vise. Placing Puller in vise will keep shaft of pump from turning while removing pulley and help keep tension on Puller and pulley hub.
3. Tighten Puller and remove pulley from shaft of power steering pump.
NOTE: Inspect pulley. Replace if pulley is bent, cracked, or loose.

Serpentine Belt Removal -5.7L/6.1L

CAUTION: Do not let the tensioner arm snap back to the freearm position, sever damage may occur to the tensioner.

1. Rotate accessory drive belt tensioner counterclockwise until it contacts it's stop. Remove accessory drive belt, then slowly rotate the tensioner into the freearm position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts