Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hemi has 193,000 miles and started to misfire a couple weeks ago.

Took it to my mechanic and he read the codes, misfire cylinder #4. Compression is fine.

So he replaced the coil and spark plug for that cylinder, he warned me ahead that it may not fix the problem.
Well the car still misfires and probably going to sell as I don't want to dump anymore money in it.

Any other ideas what it could be? My mechanic said he heard a knocking sound when starting so possibly something in the engine.
I'm thinking the car needs a new engine at this point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#4 is an MDS cylinder, it's not uncommon for a MDS solenoid to go bad and cause the lifters to stay collapsed.
#4 is an MDS cylinder, it's not uncommon for a MDS solenoid to go bad and cause the lifters to stay collapsed.
I was suggested to get an old additive and see if that might get the solenoid working again.. Not sure if that is a good idea.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was suggested to get an old additive and see if that might get the solenoid working again.. Not sure if that is a good idea.
Couldn't hurt, if it solves it great, but if it doesn't that doesn't really tell you anything.

Should have started with some questions. What year and engine, and is the misfire consistent?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar situation on my 2013 Hemi 300 on cylinder 6 with 159k. Good compression, replaced the common things but nothing fixed, lifter failure was my conclusion. I traded it in for 2018 3.6 300S. I do miss the Hemi but not the miss. Now to get my door panel fixed under warranty as the material is lifting at the window. Happy motoring! 🍻

·
Registered
621 Posts
A quality scanner can manually operate the MDS solenoids and tell you if they're working. Not to scare you but, some of the later model Hemi's have had cam and/or lifter failures. What kind (synthetic or fossil and weight) oil are you using? Check this out:

You can also pull the valve cover(s) and check the valve opening and closing. Pull the fuel pump fuse first and just have someone crank the engine over while your're watching thw action.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Could be a bad O2 sensor which will cause it to continually flood fuel into the cylinder. Smell your oil it will probably smell like fuel. Do not run it if this is the issue as it will thin your oil out with fuel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys thanks for all the help.

I ended up selling my car, I really thought i would've gotten easily up to 300K miles with minimal issues.
Me original owner and completed all maintenance as scheduled and to boot most of the (easy) miles were highway for my sales job.

Now I'm alternating between my '11 Wrangler and my '18 S450.

I would say in closing that the 300 was by far the most comfortable car I've owned, over the course of ownership it was basically problem free until the end....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts