Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car and moved it into the driveway to wash. After washing it I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I've checked the battery, tried jump starting it, check every fuse front and back, and nothing. Everything is normal, but it won't turn over. Lights, radio, uconnect, seats, they all work. No codes. Even banged on the started.

I thought there were some posts last year about this but I couldn't find any. If it was the key security thing it still would turn over then die. If it was a battery cell, the jump start would have worked (indicated 14v on the display).

Help! The car is also blocking the driveway!

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that. Didn't work, but that is the closest description to what is happening, almost like it is in Drive. The dash indicates (P)ark and (N) but it still doesn't turn over.

Thanks for trying.

kenm said:
Have you checked to make sure it is park or neutral?

·
Registered
203 Posts
starting

shelsmith67 said:
I started my car and moved it into the driveway to wash. After washing it I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I've checked the battery, tried jump starting it, check every fuse front and back, and nothing. Everything is normal, but it won't turn over. Lights, radio, uconnect, seats, they all work. No codes. Even banged on the started.

I thought there were some posts last year about this but I couldn't find any. If it was the key security thing it still would turn over then die. If it was a battery cell, the jump start would have worked (indicated 14v on the display).

Help! The car is also blocking the driveway!
Go back in the car and try starting it again. If that doesn't work lock the car with the remote than unlock with remote then it might start. Also try with the other key and remote. About a month ago I went to the gym, when back in the car, it wouldn't start. I merely opened the door, closed it re-inserted the key and it started immediately.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I tried both keys, locking and unlocking, several times. I even tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Still nothing. Really sucks on a new car with only 1K miles on it!

Thanks
Irwin said:
Go back in the car and try starting it again. If that doesn't work lock the car with the remote than unlock with remote then it might start. Also try with the other key and remote. About a month ago I went to the gym, when back in the car, it wouldn't start. I merely opened the door, closed it re-inserted the key and it started immediately.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi shelsmith67
When you turn the key. Can you hear the starter solonoid CLIK! or is it dead quiet?
Dont know if you need to crawl under the car but if can reach the starter motor battery connection, and solonoid connection, check that 12V dc is present when you (somebody) turn the key to start.
Make sure car in park & foot brake on before going under :)

Cheers

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi shelsmith67
Maybe easy solution is call the Auto Club or if car is covered in Chrysler Care Package as in Australia call them- they should have the answers

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It started!

Very, very strange!

Me and my brother pushed the car up the driveway and back into the garage. I came in to post these messages for help. 20 minutes later I went and tried it again and it started! I don't get it. Is there a starter circuit breaker or something that needed to cool off for and 2 hours? Why would it overheat if there was one after just one quick start. Has anyone else figure out why their car didn't turn over and later did?

Thanks for everyone for trying, but if this happens again, I still will not know what to do!

Jaffa said:
Hi shelsmith67
Maybe easy solution is call the Auto Club or if car is covered in Chrysler Care Package as in Australia call them- they should have the answers

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
The answer's got to be the car doesn't like being washed! You're destined to have a dirty beast! Either than or it doesn't like your driveway! LOL. j/k

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Did you check for a blown Fuse ??

In the power distribution box (aka fuse box) under the hood, fuse #20 is for the starter. Check that before you panic or have it towed. Also there have been several posts recently about fuses not being pushed in all the way, which could cause them to lose contact. If it's not the fuse I'd have it towed to the dealership, that's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I checked every fuse, replaced them, pushed them all down including all the relays, and still nothing. Not untill I pushed it up hill into the level garage, then did it start. I am going to check the connectors to the starter next. Maybe one is loose and got wet when I was shooting the right forward wheel down and then needed to dry before working. I don't know, now I am trying to pull and explaination out of my a$$ so I will know what to do next time this happens. It could have been in a long gas station line! Embarrassing!

kevenj said:
Did you check for a blown Fuse ??

In the power distribution box (aka fuse box) under the hood, fuse #20 is for the starter. Check that before you panic or have it towed. Also there have been several posts recently about fuses not being pushed in all the way, which could cause them to lose contact. If it's not the fuse I'd have it towed to the dealership, that's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
shelsmith67 said:
Yes, I checked every fuse, replaced them, pushed them all down including all the relays, and still nothing. Not untill I pushed it up hill into the level garage, then did it start. I am going to check the connectors to the starter next. Maybe one is loose and got wet when I was shooting the right forward wheel down and then needed to dry before working. I don't know, now I am trying to pull and explaination out of my a$$ so I will know what to do next time this happens. It could have been in a long gas station line! Embarrassing!

I do not know for sure but it does sound like a transmission problem where you gear selector may be off just a bit even though its showing you in Park.

·
Registered
136 Posts
**********[

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again!

My car started this morning and I drive to work. I actually drive around 5 different times with the car starting fine everytime. When I finally get ready to go home, the car won't start. Same thing, everything works fine except it doesn't turn over. I call my wife and she picks me up. The EVIC says 12.1v which I know is lower that before. I am hoping it is a battery cell going bad like many others on this board have experienced. Tonight I am going back to the parking lot and putting in a new battery that I took out of my Mustang. I hope it works!

The EVIC also said Wake: Can Bus. Does anyone know what this is?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
12.1 v should be enough though.... fully charged is 12.6 (?) , 12.7...somewhere in there. Definitely should get a "click" out of it anyway. It's got to be something to do with the lockout that only allows it to start in Park, as mentioned before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just Beat it!

I tried changing the battery. Nothing. So I tried shifting the shifter back and forth between Park and Neutral. Nothing. Pounded the shifter area about 4 times with my fist. Works! It must be the electronics sensing the Park and Neutral. I will take it into the dealer on Monday!

Does anyone know where the switch is? I took the shifter area apart, but didn't see any switch except for the Lockout and the Manual Stick sensor. It either needs adjustment or the switch is going bad and needs replacement.

kevenj said:
12.1 v should be enough though.... fully charged is 12.6 (?) , 12.7...somewhere in there. Definitely should get a "click" out of it anyway. It's got to be something to do with the lockout that only allows it to start in Park, as mentioned before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Grand Cherokees have a similar problem, lose comms with the front control module and will not crank. Intermittant problem, they have an updated FCM for the GC, but have not heard of this problem on a 300 yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar issue, but not as pronounced... The car is a month old and has about 3k miles on it and every so often there is a hesitation in starting. I get in, turn the key and the starter motor engages and runs but the engine does not catch. Its very much like it is out of gas, and generally if I put a tiny bit of pressure on the gas pedal it will fire right up.

Most of the time the engine starts right up, no problem, but say once a week there is a little hesitation. Its happened maybe five times, three time I hold the key in the start position and it comes to life about two seconds later, and twice I've tapped the gas and it roars to life...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ozymandyaz said:
I have a similar issue, but not as pronounced... The car is a month old and has about 3k miles on it and every so often there is a hesitation in starting. I get in, turn the key and the starter motor engages and runs but the engine does not catch. Its very much like it is out of gas, and generally if I put a tiny bit of pressure on the gas pedal it will fire right up.

Most of the time the engine starts right up, no problem, but say once a week there is a little hesitation. Its happened maybe five times, three time I hold the key in the start position and it comes to life about two seconds later, and twice I've tapped the gas and it roars to life...
I am having this same problem with my 3 day old 300C HE. Maybe 1 out of 5 times it turns over, but will not start. If I push gas pedal it starts. I already told the dealer, he said give it a few more miles. If it still does it, bring it in. It only has about 250 miles now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
car won't turn over (start)

Well on Saturday 6-24-06 I got stuck on the New Jersey Turnpike....It just stopped running...everything else work fine. I mean i only have 36,500 miles ...The car just would not start. I had the car towed to the dealership...I next day I called them ...and they said That they couldn't find the problem .....on 6-28-2006 I went by the dealer and saw my baby ...only it was missing few parts....the engine was taken apart...So still I have no clue to as what the hell is going on and how long its going to take them to fix my car....Thank god.. I got the extended warranty...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts