Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am going to TRY to describe this the best I can, maybe someone can help.

I am noticing in the morning a drop of oil in the front in the middle of the front end. It is about 6-12 inches from the very front lip, and again its pretty much dead center to the car.

I have used a white paper towel every night for a week around the heads/valve covers, and there is NEVER any oil leaking. Also recently I added a BT catch can, and there is NEVER oil around that, on it, or on the hoses. I did notice when I cleaned the air intake, that there is some oil inside the intake tube where the filter meets the intake tube.

Its really annoying me, and I am afraid that if I take it to the dealer they will be like hey you have painted valve covers, intake, phenolic spacers and I am not fixing anything.

What can I look at, where should I start, or do I just take it to the dealer, and they will find something?

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Jack up the car and take off the plastic cover. Get uner it and take a VERY GOOD flash light and you will be able to spot the leak. I'll bet it's the valve covers since you just painted them. I know you said there is nothing but that is just my guess.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But how would it get passed the headers, the cats, then move a good 10" forward to the center of the front of the car?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh, and one more thing... The marks were there on the garage floor way before the covers were painted and actually before the catch can too, I just noticed the marks they are very small.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A member on a another forum made a good suggestion to check where the dip stick enters the pan. I had a hell of a time when I was putting the valve covers back on to get the studs to line up with the item that is connected to the dip stick. I am going to start with tha

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
doubt this would be it but check anyways. I found 5 bolts had come out of my oil pan, all in the same area. And yes they were falling out because I found one on the plastic cover under the pan. Again doubt it is the cause, but you never know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you certain it is engine oil? I have seen p/steering lines and trans leaks but haven't seen any oil leaks on a 6.1 yet. Do you have the underbelly trim on or off? Have you checked the oil levels to verify that one of them is dropping?

Mike

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The underbelly stuff is left on...

The drip is very far forward which is weird, and the color is almost a lil goldish... I think when I had the tranny leak a while ago in my other car it was more red.

I need to get the thing up, and find it, but the prob is its such a small amount. I doubt I will be able to tell?

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
But how would it get passed the headers, the cats, then move a good 10" forward to the center of the front of the car?
Well, it's hard to say over the net. But if you do jack it up and get under it with a flash light you should find the source. To make sure it's motor oil blob a sample with your finger and put it on a white piece of paper. That should show you the color of ps, trans or motor oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Goldish can be fresh engine oil or power steering depending on what fluid it has (some used ATF+4 so should be red if so) I would take the underbelley stuff of and have a quick look. It's very open with all that stuff removed and should be easily diagnosed.

Mike

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am praying when I take the under stuff off I see the filter loose or the dip stick leaking a lil.

Tonight the car smelled hot again like burnt oil, but the last 2 mornings there was no oil on the floor at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts