Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone experienced their car fan blowing fuse #41 every time it's turned on? My car has developed this issue since last week, along with the associated airbag light and disablement of the reverse sensors. Replacing the fuse corrects the airbag and reverse sensor issue. I have checked for error codes and nothing shows up. Apart from checking other fuses (fuse #42 etc.), inspecting the connections at the blower fan and possibly replacing the blower motor power module, does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Is there any chance that a foreign object has gotten into the fan area and has jammed the motor?

Is the HVAC single or dual zone?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do you know if the fan actually comes on? If the motor is burned out it can cause a short sometimes...

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Looks like the tire pressure monitoring system might be on fuse #41 also. How's it working for you?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
FWIW, you might try unplugging the HVAC fan motor to see what happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have disabled the TPMS vis the DiagFCA software as I have aftermarket alloys and have not had any issues with this.
I have the dual climate control ATM. The fan does kick in as normal, if only for 1 or 2 seconds before the fuse blows. On my first attempt at replacing the fuse, the fan was on for about 5 minutes before it stopped. No abnormal sound was heard.
Has anyone replaced the blower motor power module on their car?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talldave: yes, you are correct, fuse #42 is for the ATC blower fan. I have bought some replacement 30A cartridge fuses and will replace #42 to see if it resolves the issue. I don't think there is a relay directly controlling the blower - can anyone confirm?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Talldave: yes, you are correct, fuse [URL=https://www.300cforums.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=42]#42 [/URL] is for the ATC blower fan. I have bought some replacement 30A cartridge fuses and will replace [URL=https://www.300cforums.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=42]#42 [/URL] to see if it resolves the issue. I don't think there is a relay directly controlling the blower - can anyone confirm?
"cartridge fuses"? Must be something lost in translation from British English to American English! But yes they are not as physically small as the 5 to 20 amp fuses.

There is a relay involved. It's called "RELAY - RUN". It supplies battery power to Fuse #42 which in turn supplies power to "MODULE - FRONT BLOWER POWER", which in turn supplies power to the blower motor.

Other circuits off of that relay (I don't know which they are) would be affected if it were a faulty relay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DESIREE: Cartridge fuse - also known as 'J case' fuse? The "MODULE - FRONT BLOWER POWER", is that the same as the blower motor power module that is located in the fan housing behind the glovebox? I have got the fuse and power module and will replace them this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
DESIREE: Cartridge fuse - also known as 'J case' fuse? The "MODULE - FRONT BLOWER POWER", is that the same as the blower motor power module that is located in the fan housing behind the glovebox? I have got the fuse and power module and will replace them this weekend.
I'm old school from before 'J-case' when a 'cartridge fuse' was just that: a large tubular device with metal end caps.

As best as I can make out that is the module in question, although I can't imagine how it itself would be blowing a 30A fuse. It is an electronic motor speed controller, so anything goes!

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, checked the fuses, replaced the 30A cartridge fuse (old one visually looked OK) and hey presto! all working fine??
Not sure if this is good or bad....
Thank you all for your input, will monitor and see if anything happens again.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
ATTABOY!

A bit of corrosion in the fuse socket may have been heating the electrical connections causing an intermittent condition that was shutting down the fan after a few seconds of running.

Time will tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts