Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been told by my dealer that all the rust that the engine of my Lancia Thema (2012 LX Chrysler 300, CRD 3.0 Diesel engine) is normal (I bought it new, in the same condition shown in the pictures that I attach, without noticing the rust on the engine). I'm particularly worried about one of the parts, shown in the second picture (its located just behind the engine and in front of the firewall, by the center part of it), in which the rust looks like is actually eating the surface and not only covering it like in the other picture. Also, notice that the insulation foam that covers the upper part of the firewall in that point looks like it has been damaged by beating or vibrating into something repeatedly, but it looks like it is firmly secured into its position.

Can someone identify which are the name of the parts that have so much rust and if someone can give me an idea about what could be the cause of the damage that has suffered the foam, it would be great.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
That looks like an EGR valve and I would say it is rusting because the heat has caused the paint to flake off revealing the steal component and natural exposure to a moisture enviroment.

You'll find the turbo hotside (closest to firewall) will also suffer the same issue.

Usually it's nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, Visit the dealer (if under warranty) and get them to look at it. I personally wouldn't be happy with the state it's in for a car that's just three years old.

Reactions: javinv

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply.

It was like that when I bought the car, it was new and I think it had like 18 miles on it at the time. So I don't think it can be because of the heat. I'll ask them to check it again... they say it was normal when I told them about it after discovering it, tho.

It's a 2012 car, built in November 2011... But I bought it new in March 2014. I don't know where it was stored all that time, but obviously it wasn't the most appropriated place in the world.

In the case that they accept to exchange it for a new valve, would it be complicated? like, do they need to rise the whole engine to do so? or it can be done without any risk for the car... I don't trust them too much for this kind of complicated jobs... It's a Lancia/Fiat dealer, and my car is a Chrysler after all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts