Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me suggestions on how to remove the air conditiong vents on the left and right side of the dash. I am thinking about putting tweeters in the upper portion of these vents.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Shaggy,
You might want to get some double-side tape and experiment with tweeter placement before you do this. I had a 320i back in the day, that was used by a local audio shop as a demo vehicle. Tweeter placement for proper sound stage is critical in a car enviroment as you're already sitting closer to one side. High frequency is very directional. We found if you aim the tweeters across the car at the head on the opposite side, it widened the soundstage and improved the seperation. In the vents gave us more of a left and right seat bias. Firing them into the windshield made them harsh, I uninstall the Boston FX3's and went back to the stock speakers in my 300. Those stock 3 1/2's are better that you would think if you roll them off at around 5000 hz and pass the high freq on to a good tweeter! I'm experimenting with some MB Quarts tweeters now. As of now the ideal placement seem to be either mounted on the pillars by the windshield cross fired or surface mounted on top of the stock grills angled for cross-fire.
Most people can just replace the stock dash speakers with some of the 3 1/2" 2way's on the market and be perfectly happy.
QUALITY sub-base is easy in this car. ONE JL Audio 10w6 will fill the cabin with solid, undistorted base notes without eating up trunk space !

I'm at an age in my life where quality of sound is more important that alot of distorted volume :)

Stop by one of your BETTER local car audio shops and ask them for some suggestions.

Don't commit till you experiment !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael said:
Hey Shaggy,
You might want to get some double-side tape and experiment with tweeter placement before you do this. I had a 320i back in the day, that was used by a local audio shop as a demo vehicle. Tweeter placement for proper sound stage is critical in a car enviroment as you're already sitting closer to one side. High frequency is very directional. We found if you aim the tweeters across the car at the head on the opposite side, it widened the soundstage and improved the seperation. In the vents gave us more of a left and right seat bias. Firing them into the windshield made them harsh, I uninstall the Boston FX3's and went back to the stock speakers in my 300. Those stock 3 1/2's are better that you would think if you roll them off at around 5000 hz and pass the high freq on to a good tweeter! I'm experimenting with some MB Quarts tweeters now. As of now the ideal placement seem to be either mounted on the pillars by the windshield cross fired or surface mounted on top of the stock grills angled for cross-fire.
Most people can just replace the stock dash speakers with some of the 3 1/2" 2way's on the market and be perfectly happy.
QUALITY sub-base is easy in this car. ONE JL Audio 10w6 will fill the cabin with solid, undistorted base notes without eating up trunk space !

I'm at an age in my life where quality of sound is more important that alot of distorted volume :)

Stop by one of your BETTER local car audio shops and ask them for some suggestions.

Don't commit till you experiment !
Michael,
I was thinking about placing the tweeters in the upper flat part of the vent(the part of the vent which defects to the side window) so the tweeter would be facing straight up and would be defected to side windo. I am not going to have the tweeter in the main vent firing right at me. The problem is I have a set of dynaudio 3way system 340 Obviously will put 7inch in door and 3inch in dash the question is where to put the tweeter? the only other thought was the upper vent or the center speaker location with them kicked out to each side what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a bit curious what you paid for the 3 way dynaudio set???
I am also a bit curious what Amp your going to run these powerful top-notch components.

I picked up a the QSD line from mb quart, but recently at a car sound off in chicago, i noticed that the dynaudio stuff was tweeking out some high SQ stats...

just a bit curious, i still have about a month to do some exchanges...

dave
chicago

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scandaloustrick said:
I'm a bit curious what you paid for the 3 way dynaudio set???
I am also a bit curious what Amp your going to run these powerful top-notch components.

I picked up a the QSD line from mb quart, but recently at a car sound off in chicago, i noticed that the dynaudio stuff was tweeking out some high SQ stats...

just a bit curious, i still have about a month to do some exchanges...

dave
chicago
The speakers I got a while ago from a friend. I believe they retail about $750 on the internet. I am going to use a JL Audio 450/4 this amp is rated at 150X2 and 75X2 I am planning on using the 150X2 for the dynaudio I don't know if it will be enough but will find out shortly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am running that exact amp to the MB quart Qsd series. I must say that the highs are crystal clear and could be heard from a mile away. The midbass is decent, but i am use to having my kicker L7 in the dash from my last car. I sure i'll get bored during thanksgiving weekend and drop a sub in the dash and maybe some custom fiberglass kickpods...

Dave
chicago

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like your on your way to something really special Shaggy :) !

That's an exceptional speaker package. You're going to want to Dynamat on those door panels. Those 7's will bring out every buzz and rattle !
Sounds like you're looking for a stealth install by wanting to use the ac vents for the tweeters. I'm thinking flush mount and color matched on the windshield pillars or on the side mirror mounts, where the Boston logo's are. The only way to know would be to wire up the mid and tweeter to the xover , fade to the front speakers and listen ! That double side tape will allow you to move those tweeter to different locations BEFORE you cut anything.
Are you thinking of sub-base in the system ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
shaggy said:
10w7 with JL Audio 500/1
Ya got my mouth watering :rolleyes: !

When I first looked at this car I was fix on the speaker locations while the salesman was trying to woo me with the engine. I had already gone over all that and more for a couple of months but had never seen the speaker layout. With that huge trunk , giving up a cubic foot for a sub was no problem. Those huge doors up front with 6x9 cut outs, no major mods needed for 6 1/2 rounds for midbass, round will sound cleaner than oval. The only compromise would be the 3 1/2's on the dash, 4'' would give more options for clean midrange. Tweeters were a matter of location. The rear deck would handle the same 6 1/2's as the doors for rear fill duty.
If you think about it , when you go to a concert the performers are on stage IN FRONT OF YOU. They are spread across that stage. You don't sit with your back to the stage, do you ? The sound you hear from behind you is only a reflection not equal to the front in volume or frequency range. No tweeters in the back.
Good front sound stage, with I don't where the sub bass is comming from but I can feel it , think about your home theater sub. All sounding smooth and balanced like a GREAT set of headphones !

If you fade from front to rear you'll hear where the Chrysler designers tried to pull off this type of imaging !
They actually had Boston Acoustic do a pretty good job !!But like having a 340 hp hemi, some folks want more, 400 hp due first of the year.
Sorry for going on and on but Shaggy is prodding at the sleeping monster I gave up on in the 90's. Now every other car out there is in a competition for the most bass and screw the rest of the system.
This forum is not geared for this but I couldn't help myself :eek:
"DO THE DAMNED THING SHAGGY" :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts