Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 2005 Chrysler 300C with 2 original keys and 1 additional key I purchase 2+ years ago from the dealer and had them program it as an extra key.

Last week I sold the 2005 Chrysler 300C and provided the purchaser with the 2 original keys.

The recent new key I kept with the intention of having it reprogrammed to work with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. The new key looks identical in shape to the 2 Dodge Ram original keys.

The dealer is suggesting they CAN NOT reprogram the 300C new key to work with the 2007 Dodge Ram, even though the keys look identical.

Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a 2005 Chrysler 300C with 2 original keys and 1 additional key I purchase not long ago from the dealer and had them program it as an extra key.

Last week I sold the 2005 Chrysler 300C and provided the purchaser with the 2 original keys.

The recent new key I kept with the intention of having it reprogrammed to work with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. The new key looks identical in shape to the 2 Dodge Ram original keys.

The dealer is suggesting they CAN NOT reprogram the 300C new key to work with the 2007 Dodge Ram, even though the keys look identical.

Thoughts or suggestions?
300c Owner,

Your dealer is correct, in regards to vehicle keys, once a key has been programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be re-programmed to be valid on any other vehicle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Last summer they replaced my PCM/ECM (not sure which) and they reprogrammed all 3 keys. The PCM/ECM was "refurbished" according to the dealer because they could not locate a NEW part.

My assumption would have been that the refurbished unit was originally in another vehicle and removed, retested (by Chrysler) and delivered to my dealership to install in the next vehicle.

Based on the experience last summer, it is difficult to understand suggestions that the keys can not be reprogrammed. Note, the same dealer already knows/knew the password(s)/code(s) for the previous 2005 300C configuration.

I read on another forum that the key may have needed to be "deprogrammed" (disconnected) from the previous vehicle before it would be available to recognize the new vehicle. Any truth to this concept?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I read some place that all key have an inbuilt code programmed and can not be removed, the cars computer reads the keys code and keep that code in it memory, when you buy a new key you has to program the new keys code into the cars computer. I lost my gray emergency key the one with no buttons on it and got myself a new from ebay, I used an SBB key programmer to program the new emergency key code into the cars computer system. So the dealer is correct in saying you can not deprogram a key.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It still seems tough to absorb that the technology would be that limited.
I'm sure it's not a matter of the technology being limited. Physically it can be done if auto manufacturers wanted it done. Instead it's probably about security issues having to do with ownership/key accountability so probably it's an industry-wide policy or conscious decision to refrain from doing this. Anyway, that's my guess. Feel free to re-absorb things! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's not about limited technology at all it's all to do with security, the key will not send it's code until it gets a handshake from the cars security system which knows it code, I think this technology is sound. Also I think the dealer can do it for you, it's all about how the dealer can make more money from you, sell & program a new key at a ripp off cost or just reprogram an old key at a lower cost.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Agree, I expect the dealer can do it, if they want to make the effort. They did it once before when replacing one of the (PCM/ECM?) computers. Disappointing they will not make the effort.

Oh well, rather than saving the cost of the used key, it will be easier just to toss it out.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Agree, I expect the dealer can do it, if they want to make the effort. They did it once before when replacing one of the (PCM/ECM?) computers. Disappointing they will not make the effort.

Oh well, rather than saving the cost of the used key, it will be easier just to toss it out.
Actually what they did before was flash the new PCM/ECM to the key codes so it would have no issues anywhere from the key/SKREEM/CANBUS/PCM etc.... once the chip key has it's code matched with it's intended vehicle she's locked to it from there... if not at $70+ a pop they'd be a pretty hot commodity from a theft standpoint as well!.... it sucks pal and I feel your pain... but as Paradox said earlier, if a Stealership could take your money... they would! lol

·
Registered
650 Posts
Did you get the key cut? How would it work in the new car if it was cut for the old car? Easy option is to buy a new key/fob on Ebay. You can get a new one for $50 & program it yourself if you have 2 working keys. The instructions are posted on the site & most ebay sellers have instructions & there are youtube vids on it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Key programming - ecu not found

Hi,

Just purchased a nice 2005 300 Limited.

The only thing I have done so far is install a FLASHLOGIC FLRSCH5 remote start, which works perfectly.

Installation is very straight forward:

Splice into the #2 wire (Control (MUX)) in the Ignition Harness
Splice into the #4 wire (Starter) in the Ignition Harness
Splice into the white/brown wire coming from the headlight switch so that the parking lights come on when the vehicle has been started with the remote.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seller only had one key.

Purchased a SBB V46.02 Key Programmer to make 2 more keys.

Plugged in the SBB V46.02 Key Programmer to the OBDII port, went through the steps to program a key and got the following message on the screen: "ECU NOT FOUND".

Read in a few places that the ECU would not react correctly with low battery power.

Plugged in my Battery Tender last night and let it charge the battery overnight.

Contacted the seller who asked me if I had any other vehicles to test the SBB V46.02 Key Programmer on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tested the SBB V46.02 Key Programmer on my 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Limited and it worked fine.

After that, I decided to reset the ECM.

I disconnected both battery terminals on the 2005 300 Limited and pulled the #11 fuse (which is supposed to be a Dark Blue 15 Amp fuse for Auto Shutdown/Powertrain Control Module (PCM)).

However, the #11 fuse is a YELLOW 20 Amp fuse!!!

I have no idea why the fuse is a 20 amp fuse instead of a 15 amp fuse.

As of right this moment, that is where I am at.

Couple of questions:

Is it possible that the FLASHLOGIC FLRSCH is stopping the connection to the ECU?

If so, is my only option to disconnect the FLASHLOGIC FLRSCH and retry the SBB V46.02 Key Programmer?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts