Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm Eason from China, I'm looking for a towbar for my Chrysler 300C. It was imported from USA, manufactured by 2015, looks like below:

I have search on the internet, such as google, ebay, amazon, but got nothing.
lukily, I found some pictures about towbar which is I want, the car in the picture seems manufactured by 2014

Does anyone have advise about where can I find a suitable towbar for my car, I'd appreciate some help.

Regards,
Eason

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in Australia and can assure you that the Australian brand "Hayman Reece" will be a perfect fit. They are advertised on Ebay in Australia for about $344 Aust. plus shipping from Sydney

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a link about the product? I'm interesting in it, import from oversea is ok for me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't know if this is related to your problem, but you are asking for a "tow bar", while you are showing a photo of a "trailer hitch".

In the USA, at least, they are totally different things. A "tow bar" is used to tow one car with another car. It fastens to the front of the towed vehicle and connects to a trailer hitch on the towing vehicle.

A trailer hitch is a device which gives you the ability to tow another vehicle with your car or truck. That vehicle is most often a trailer of some type, although you can use a trailer hitch in conjunction with a tow bar to tow another car.

You don't mention what you're looking to tow, or what capacity of hitch you're looking for, but Amazon offers Reese, Curt and Towpower hitches for the Chrysler 300 in Class II and Class III capacity for approximately $125-150 USD. They may not be showing up for you due to regional differences, but you might find this page helpful for ordering North American Amazon products shipped to China.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a link about the product? I'm interesting in it, import from oversea is ok for me.
just go to Ebay australia. Then enter Hayman Reece towbar for Chrysler 300C. You will find a 1200 KG towbar with wiring and accessories. They will ship to you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
A lot of folks in the US RV groups use eTrailer: etrailer.com
In addition to the hitch, you will need a Ball Mount (which you may be thinking of as a tow bar), and a Ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if this is related to your problem, but you are asking for a "tow bar", while you are showing a photo of a "trailer hitch".

In the USA, at least, they are totally different things. A "tow bar" is used to tow one car with another car. It fastens to the front of the towed vehicle and connects to a trailer hitch on the towing vehicle.

A trailer hitch is a device which gives you the ability to tow another vehicle with your car or truck. That vehicle is most often a trailer of some type, although you can use a trailer hitch in conjunction with a tow bar to tow another car.

You don't mention what you're looking to tow, or what capacity of hitch you're looking for, but Amazon offers Reese, Curt and Towpower hitches for the Chrysler 300 in Class II and Class III capacity for approximately $125-150 USD. They may not be showing up for you due to regional differences, but you might find this page helpful for ordering North American Amazon products shipped to China.
Sorry, my english is not good.
In fact, what I want is trailer hitch, and I'm going to tow a RV like below.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sorry, my english is not good.
In fact, what I want is trailer hitch, and I'm going to tow a RV like below.
I don't have any idea what that trailer weighs. In the USA, a Class II hitch is typically good for up to 3,500 lbs or 1,600 kg. Class III hitches are usually good for up to 6,000 lbs or 2,700 kg. You might want to buy a Class III even for a lighter trailer if there isn't a big cost difference. As Desert_Flyer mentioned, you will also need a hitch ball, matching the size of the receptacle on the trailer and (at least) the trailer's weight.

Your English is excellent, by the way.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow! Sorry, but you have a problem. Your Chrysler will not be able to tow this. It has the power for sure to tow, or “pull” this down the road. But, you have to “haul” the weight of the tongue/hitch on the rear end of the car. For proper stability during towing, the rule of thumb is to have 10% to 15% of the total weight of the travel trailer (TT) on the tongue. 10% for something flat like a flatbed, 13%-15% for something with significant wind resistence like your TT. Plus, the weight is not just the TT “dry” weight, but must include the weight of all liquids (water and propane, hence “wet”) plus options, plus cargo. Let’s say the TT weighs 2,500-lbs “dry”. It might weigh as much as 3,800-lbs “wet”, or gross. (Many small TT have a GVWR of 3,800-lbs.). 15% x 3,800 = 570-lbs. you must arrange the load on and in this TT for stability so that the tongue weighs between 550 and 600 lbs so that it tows nicely on the freeway and doesn’t start fishtailing. That amount of weight on the hitch probably exceeds the rating of the lightweight hitch, many of which are only rated for 300 or 400 lbs. Plus, when you add in passengers and stuff in your car, your rear axle rating will probably be further exceeded. For this TT, you need a small truck or midsize SUV/CUV. Something that is rated for 5,000-lb tow rating would do fine. Minivans will not work. They work for pop-ups but not TT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have any idea what that trailer weighs. In the USA, a Class II hitch is typically good for up to 3,500 lbs or 1,600 kg. Class III hitches are usually good for up to 6,000 lbs or 2,700 kg. You might want to buy a Class III even for a lighter trailer if there isn't a big cost difference. As Desert_Flyer mentioned, you will also need a hitch ball, matching the size of the receptacle on the trailer and (at least) the trailer's weight.

Your English is excellent, by the way.
Well, it is easy to get suitable Ball mount and a Ball in China. The total weight of the RV is about 1,300kg, I think Class III should be better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Sorry, but you have a problem. Your Chrysler will not be able to tow this. It has the power for sure to tow, or “pull” this down the road. But, you have to “haul” the weight of the tongue/hitch on the rear end of the car. For proper stability during towing, the rule of thumb is to have 10% to 15% of the total weight of the travel trailer (TT) on the tongue. 10% for something flat like a flatbed, 13%-15% for something with significant wind resistence like your TT. Plus, the weight is not just the TT “dry” weight, but must include the weight of all liquids (water and propane, hence “wet”) plus options, plus cargo. Let’s say the TT weighs 2,500-lbs “dry”. It might weigh as much as 3,800-lbs “wet”, or gross. (Many small TT have a GVWR of 3,800-lbs.). 15% x 3,800 = 570-lbs. you must arrange the load on and in this TT for stability so that the tongue weighs between 550 and 600 lbs so that it tows nicely on the freeway and doesn’t start fishtailing. That amount of weight on the hitch probably exceeds the rating of the lightweight hitch, many of which are only rated for 300 or 400 lbs. Plus, when you add in passengers and stuff in your car, your rear axle rating will probably be further exceeded. For this TT, you need a small truck or midsize SUV/CUV. Something that is rated for 5,000-lb tow rating would do fine. Minivans will not work. They work for pop-ups but not TT.

Thank you for provide so many datas, I know what your means. As the RV manufactor described, the weight to the tongue is about 100kg, it is 'dry' weight of cause. If I tow this RV on the road, the propane is necessary, but water is not as we can fill waters at the camp. And in my opinion, we can put cargo to front and rear of the RV in balance of weight, in order to increase few weight to the tongue.

The reason why I want to tow a RV by Chrysler 300C is because there are compact or middlesize cars tow RV in China, and I don't want to buy truck or SUV because they are not as comfortable as 300C. The RV manufctored by China factory is much like the RV in Europe, but not like in the U.S, although the Europe RV is more lighter. But 300C is much stonger, isn't it?

I am glad that I have learn so much as there are many experts, thank you in advance, any further advises would be appreciate!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just checked my owner’s manual for my USA 2017 300C and it says maximum TT tow rating is only 1,000 pounds (454 kg) and max tongue/hitch load is 100 pounds (45 kg). This is for both the V6 and V8 engines. They probably never designed the rear unibody for more load than that where the hitch would bolt into the body. That anchorage point is going to be your weak link. No matter if you buy a stronger hitch, it still has to bolt in at certain points on the body and this car is not designed for much of that.

I can not recommend you pull that TT with any Chrysler 300. Sorry.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,609 Posts
I don't know why but there's a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 having just checked owners manuals. This is the part from the Gen 1 manual, says you can take up to 2000lbs:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don’t know the difference either, but here it is:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It seems Chrysler 300 doesn't have ability to tow such weight of RV, I will consider if it is necessary to install trailer hitch any more, Maybe I need another car to tow it.
Thank you for your info. and have a nice day!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, try to find a Curt Class III Receiver Hitch, maybe it will work for you. Before buying some things for a car, I first use free car report. For there were already cases that some spare parts did not fit under my VIN. The Epicvin service helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts