Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive about 20-22 mph on somewhat rough roads there's a metallic rattling under the right center of the car that sounds like a tin can hitting something. Has anyone had the same problem? I have located what looks like an exhaust heat shield under the passenger floor that might be the culprit. It seems loose.

I hate to take it to the dealer and hear them say, "Could not reproduce the sound."

Anyone know what noise I'm talking about here?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I heard it once on mine, and haven't heard it since, IDK, From time to time I'll drive around with everything turned off and 'listen' to my car. Habit i grew p with, still haven't broken it but sometimes hearing or feeling a problem comes before your trusty stallion throws a code.

have you gone over anything lately maybe knocked something loose? Maybe on one of your excursions dealing with the cops or hiding something from them you inadvertently ran someone, um, something over....

maybe your sister-sister in law could ride around with you and help listen for the rattling... just keep your hands off her, she is your brother's wife, LOL...

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good memory, T8sty. You know, that thread is still popping up once in a while. :)

As far as the noise. I took a 2300 mile trip to Canada and back recently and who knows what could have happened then.

The car is due for the 9000 mile oil change so I think I'll take it in to have them figure it out. Should be warrantied as long as there is a Chrysler Corporation (maybe not for long). I just heard they will no longer lease vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat shield under your car. They often will loosen up.

Can be tightened up as good as new.
Thanks Northern. That's kind of what I suspect also. I think I'll just take it in and tell them I think the heat shield or something under the car is loose and rattles. That will give them somewhat of a clue as to where to start looking (some dealerships seem to have difficulties finding problems). My car is less than a year old and under warranty so I don't mind taking her in. My dealership is a 5 minute drive from my house. :fing02:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
either that or there is a tin can hangin from the bottom of your car.:biggrin:

just playin, hope you find the culprit, i bet thats annoying as heck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem. For me I was on the passenger side of the car, floorboard, right in front of the seat under the carpet. There appears to be ducting that is routed under the passeger seat for the floor of the rear passenger, or so it appears. The duct was unsupported and made a metalic rattling sound as I hit bumps, sounds like an exhaust shield. I merely placed a folded rag and wedged the rag between the ducting and floorboard hence providing the needed support and keeping it from making the metalic noise. Easy, out of sight given that it was just beneath the passenger seat, no more noise.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking this too considering how flimsy it feels under the carpet on the passenger side. However, when I close the windows and turn the A/C I can't really hear it.... but my neighbors can. My car sounds like a Yugo when I drive 20 mph down the street. It has to be on the outside below the passenger somewhere.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I was thinking this too considering how flimsy it feels under the carpet on the passenger side. However, when I close the windows and turn the A/C I can't really hear it.... but my neighbors can. My car sounds like a Yugo when I drive 20 mph down the street. It has to be on the outside below the passenger somewhere.
Yea, its the exhaust hitting the cross member or the heatsheild for sure is the problem.

Had the same problem, couldn't hear it until the window was open.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, I'm trying everything to reproduce the clanking while parked. Used a broom handle to tap everywhere under the car. Nothing! Then I kick the tires and lo and behold, there it is. Some kind of shield at the inside bottom of the brake disc is loose. That's why I could only hear it when the right side wheels ran over something and bounced a little. Now I can show the service teck what I think it is.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
So, I'm trying everything to reproduce the clanking while parked. Used a broom handle to tap everywhere under the car. Nothing! Then I kick the tires and lo and behold, there it is. Some kind of shield at the inside bottom of the brake disc is loose. That's why I could only hear it when the right side wheels ran over something and bounced a little. Now I can show the service teck what I think it is.
wow,

i think this will mark the very first and only instance where the "kicking of the tire" has actually produced a result.

congrats, i hope this clears your issue

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Car is at the dealer now. We'll see if they can take care of the problem. I should have told them to kick the tires! :)

Update: The dealer just called. Sure enough, it was the lower right brake disc shield that was loose and clanked when I hit rough surfaces. All taken care of (I'll check that when I pick it up this PM). Covered by warranty of course.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car is back. Problem solved. Sheet says, "Right side rotor shield loose. re-tighten shield, road test OK, no noise."
Yes!

Then they overinflated the tires so it was like riding a buck board home. Go figure. EVIC says the rears are @ 40psi. WOW! I never fill over 32.

I wonder if the 7 qt. of oil they filled with is right.
Part number 68026603AA.

Anyone know how to find out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts