Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

Not a good start to the new year. I have the lightning bold and the engine management light on. The car is also a little difficult to start. I have a cheap elm reader but it tells me U0101 code, so not much use.
Any ideas what it could be?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That's a TCM fault I believe. Assume you have a CRD?

Have you checked the wiring under the engine cover where it passes over the AC pipe?

·
Registered
52 Posts
GASOLINE MODELS:

Possible throttle body failure. Ive had experience with this. Car would restart fine and drive but would happen again throughout continued driving and go into limp mode. It never left me stranded though. I installed a new throttle body and issue was resolved. Factory part runs about $200 with other aftermarket vendors selling $80-120. The throttle body is bolted to the front of the intake manifold with 4 bolts and harness plug.Your air intake hose is also clamped to it. Simple repair 15 minutes. Sorry no experience with a CRD.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a TCM fault I believe. Assume you have a CRD?

Have you checked the wiring under the engine cover where it passes over the AC pipe?
Thanks DGO:
If it is chafing, is it visible from the outside?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looking at a CRD it does show a similar throttle body. The code does denote a loss in communication with the TCM but with the car going into limp mode it may throw that due to a throttle body issue.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks DGO:
If it is chafing, is it visible from the outside?

Yes usually. If you're comfortable doing so than remove the engine cover, there's a big loom cable on the right hand side towards the back which partly crosses the top of the engine. There's also a shiny metal aircon pipe and where the loom and pipe come together the aircon pipe can rub through the loom causing all sorts of funny gremlins. I can have a go taking a picture tomorrow if that would help

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes usually. If you're comfortable doing so than remove the engine cover, there's a big loom cable on the right hand side towards the back which partly crosses the top of the engine. There's also a shiny metal aircon pipe and where the loom and pipe come together the aircon pipe can rub through the loom causing all sorts of funny gremlins. I can have a go taking a picture tomorrow if that would help
Thanks DGO. Will have a look tomorrow and post pictures.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two elm327. One is usb and the other Bluetooth. The Bluetooth does not seem to work properly, the usb one shows me the mil light but no codes. If I try to turn the mil light off it has no effect.
He are a couples of pictures of the wires.
I think I better book him in....

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I would first disconnect the battery and tie the cable ends together for several minutes to zeroize (shunt to ground) any memories in the car.
It costs nothing too.

These cars are also very sensitive to voltages.

I had an aftermarket trigger relay for NOS pull the TBS voltage down just .10 of a volt and the car would go limp.
Disconnected the relay and all is good.
Even a weak battery can cause goofy issues.

Just my experience ....

Bruce

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the car back from my local garage.
He found 2 codes. U0101 and P0676 which he cleared. He drove the car and the codes haven't come back.
He said to bring the car back if the lights came back.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Just got the car back from my local garage.
He found 2 codes. U0101 and P0676 which he cleared. He drove the car and the codes haven't come back.
He said to bring the car back if the lights came back.

Any ideas anyone?

From the interweb:
This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code. It is considered generic because it applies to all makes and models of vehicles (1996-newer), although specific repair steps may be slightly different depending on the model. This code relates to the device diesels use to heat the cylinder head for a few seconds when attempting to start a cold engine called a glow plug. A diesel relies entirely on the momentary high level of heat through compression to spontaneously ignite the fuel. The glow plug in the #6 cylinder has failed.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0676

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
You are welcome there 'feichter'.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, lights are back on!

The lightning bolt, the eps and the skid light.

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some limited success...

Thanks to all, in particular to Paul from the custom300cshop.
On his advice, I have disconnected the HID module next to the washer bottle, and after having left the battery disconnected for 20 minutes, the lightining bolt, eps light and skidd light are now off. However the engine manangement light is still on and I can't clear, or even see , the code with my USB elm. The car drives fine and is not in limp mode anymore.
So, I will wait until tomorrow, drive the car again, and if no light come on, I will download torquePro on my mobile and see if I can clear the code and turn the MIL light off with my other ELM (bluetooth).

Let's wait and see...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Lights back on this morning and in limp mode.

So, have downloaded Torque Pro on my mobile and have been able to clear both codes! At least I will be able to drive it to the stealership!

·
Registered
654 Posts
P0676 is the glowplug on cylinder 6. It doesn't cause the engine light to come on and, in fact, with only one glowplug dead it'll start and drive fine.

It's the rear cylinder on the passenger side (ie: closest to the passenger). New ones are £6 on ebay. I did two on my 300C yesterday - you need to do them with the engine hot, torque them to 12Nm.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that talldave!
In fact, just had a look at that! However, I don't have the necessary tools and don't feel confident enough, so will take it to the local garage.
Do you know, or have you ever heard, of this causing my other lights (Lightning bolt, eps and skid light) to come on?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for that talldave!
In fact, just had a look at that! However, I don't have the necessary tools and don't feel confident enough, so will take it to the local garage.
Do you know, or have you ever heard, of this causing my other lights (Lightning bolt, eps and skid light) to come on?
I understand - a dealer once quoted me £100 to do two glowplugs, so that spurred on my investment in the right tools! With the right kit it's quite easy, although I was doing cylinders 1 & 3 yesterday and 1 is a pain as there's a rubber fuel pipe in the way. 6 looks easy - so if you're ever passing Tunbridge Wells, I'd be happy to help!

I've never known a glowplug error to cause any lights to come on. At worst, it might cause an extra bong at startup and a code added to the chime list in the "secret" menu. Unlike spark plugs, failed glowplugs don't stop the car working and I'm sure most CRD owners are driving round with one or more dead. I had to replace 3 on my first 300C and have done 4 on my current one. There's a myth that they're only powered on in very cold conditions, but that's not true according to the service manual - they stay on for between 2 and 3 minutes with a cold engine and 20 seconds for a hot engine. Starting is snappier with all 6 working.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know a good stealership or, better, an independent garage in the Dover or east Kent region?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts