Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Hope someone can give me some pointers.
We are in France and on the way to our accommodation, the battery light came on an the car slowly started to overheat. We stopped a couple of times to let the engine cool down and made it to a garage where we left it until Monday morning when they re-open. I am pretty sure it's the belt.
Any ideas on how difficult a job it will be, so I can judge the price? The belt itself should be around £40.00.
Could there be any other damage due to the belt snapping?

Any help appreciated.
Car has done just over 100k.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That is hard to answer because we don't know if the belt failed, or if a component failed and caused the belt to come off.
A/C compressors, alternators, idler pulleys are all known to potentially fail and cause the belt to come off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BiliTheAxe.

The alternator light came on straight away and the powersteering stopped working straight away too. So, just making assumtions at the momemt.

How much would you expect to pay at a garage in the UK just to replace the belt?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Your assumptions seem to be correct. Belt replacement shouldn't be difficult - the tricky part is threading it correctly around the various pulleys. £40 seems reasonable for a replacement and I would expect a proficient mechanic to take about 30mins. Hopefully, other components won't need replacing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your assumptions seem to be correct. Belt replacement shouldn't be difficult - the tricky part is threading it correctly around the various pulleys. £40 seems reasonable for a replacement and I would expect a proficient mechanic to take about 30mins. Hopefully, other components won't need replacing.
Thanks.

Will post result on Monday when hopefully I'll know more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have now got the quote:

£400.00 ouch!

New belt, new tension pulley assembly, labour and vat.

The mechanic had to spend quite some time getting the shredded belt out from between the various pulleys and the engine block.
Thanks devilmaycare, gave the mechanic the diagram.

Lesson to be learned: should have had the car serviced at the dealer who would have changed the belt when it was due.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That sounds like something seized up.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
£400 does seem a bit steep, even with a new tensioner, but then I don't suppose you were in a position to shop around. I last had a belt changed in 2012 by Chrysler dealer, because of oil spillage (my fault and another story). Belt cost £23 and labour (which included clean-up) £47, all plus 20% VAT. According to an old dealer service schedule that I have, belt replacement is due at 62,500 miles. I still have less than 50K miles on the clock, but I check belt condition at every opportunity. Gone are the days when fan belts (yes, they were used to drive the cooling fan!) could be changed at the roadside.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final update:

Got the car back this afternoon after the garage had it for only 2 days! So, I'm happy with that. The price for the part (i.e. tension pully, belt, etc.) was a bit steep at euro 229.81 + vat, but I was not in a position to argue, or indeed, to take it anywhere else.
The mechanic showed me the scredded belt that resembled a bucket of black spaghetti and the pullies which they had to change.

The hidden menu showed a battery charge of 12.5V with the engine and all accessories off. With the engine running it's showing 14.6-14.7V.
12.5V seemed a bit low to me, so I put it on a trickle charger. Does anyone know how much it should be with engine and all accessories off?

When I got it to the garage, and wanted to move it, it would not start again (battery was too weak).

Many thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
458 Posts
12.5 volts is just about right, considering that it is a 12 volt battery in the car and 14.7+/- is just about perfect for a running engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
BiliTheAxe
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing