Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an idiot and scraped the underneath of the front of my car. You can't see it but it is pissing me off and the scrapes are pretty bad. I am thinking of buying the spray can touch up paint from somewhere and doing a quick fix.

Need suggestions on how to do it. Should I wet sand it, spray it, and clear coat it? Or should i do just a touch up and spray it? Some of the scrapes are deep so if i just spray it, the scrapes will still be there..

Thoughts.........

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think you are going to be doing that alot. Unless you only drive your car on special occasions then getting scrapes under the front bumper is a fact of life. I have an SRT so it sits a little lower than a stock C and I'm careful about how I approach cross streets but it still happens. What you have to be careful about is running the front over a curb and then backing out as it might really damage something.

·
Registered
469 Posts
it is deff. a fact of life. Im mildly retarded when it comes to parking. I can't even count the number of times I've hit the curb. I've only had the car for a month so I guess it's just a little hard to judge the size of this beast.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
too late!! I am an idiot and wasn't paying attention, and pulled over a curb that was kind of high and heard a scrape and then i had to back out. The scapes are quite long and are across the whole front of the underneath.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If the scrapes really bother you then you'll have to try and paint it or take it to a body shop to have it fixed. However if it's your daily driver and not a show car I don't think it's worth your trouble. Just make sure that you didn't pull something out when backing up or rip part of the facia. You really can't see any of the scrapes from under neath without actually sticking your head under there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i much prefer touch up paint, the kind that comes in a little tube. if the scrapes are deep, you can do a few layers of touch up paint just on the scratches and the layers of paint will build up the surface, ultimately sort of leveling it off.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Those frigging cement curb's are so high that when I pull in I scrape a lot also. I gouged my black 300 badly when I had it and trying to be careful with the Steel Blue I have now but still scraped it. Daily driver so I just use touch up paint on it and it bothers me also. You are not a idiot, it just comes with this car. As long as you don't tear anything a little paint will help and a good drink will ease your pain. Life goes on.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same here man eveyrone does it...it sux though, I know what you mean!!! Youd rather your first major scratch to be something you had no control of but curbs happen. You should also watch ouf for gutters. I dont know about where you live but in FL they can be real deep to channel the water when it rains...it took my bumpers virginity

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too am a member of the "I curbed my bumper" club. It was bothering me too even though you could hardly see it. Before I even did anything to repair it, I was driving and hit a chunk of snow. The street perpendicular to the one I was driving had been plowed so there was some snow built up. I hit it and cracked the lower front so I ended up claiming it on my insurance and that was that. Then I hit a gator (tire off of a 18 wheeler) at a later date and that tore up the fascia again. Replaced 2 fascias in 2 years...........not good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As you can tell from all of the responses, you are not the only one. I did not realize how low the front end was either. After about five times at scraping the front end I still get upset' One day I will just have that trim replaced. So now I try not to worry about it. I have to get down on my knees to see the damage as I am sure you do.It is just knowing it is there is irksome.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I pulled too far over a parking block and when I backed off it it tore the whole front cover off on the right side.

This was at the local APPLEBEES and there were people watching. It really Sucked bad.

I popped it back on but the damage was done.

You cant really tell unless you look underneath.

I no longer have the belly pans or brake ducts under there.

I know it's my own fault, but, sh!t it really bothers me.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Just spray it and forget it (until the next time you do it).

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may also want to try filling in the scrapes with some spot putty before you paint. While it's still wet, smooth out the putty as best you can. After it dries completely sand it down even with the paint. Then paint. That's the short version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same thing happen, at the same time i was rolling in a truck bed liner in my f250. The brand of liner was herculiner. 25$ a quart. I used painters tape and made a line on the radius of my front lip and rolled on 2 coats of the stuff with a small roller. it made the front lip stronger and has hit many curbs "Wife" you can't tell its not factory although its is a srt8 which is lower

·
Registered
622 Posts
The underneath of the front of my car is all scraped and torn up. I know of several people who bought replacement front fascias and will just replace the whole thing once it gets bad enough.

Several people have multiple front ends saved up in reserve. The SRT used to come with a 2 piece front end which would be just perfect for us. But noooo.... They had to change it to a one piece so when we have to fix the thing we have to buy the whole darn thing.:twak:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have probably "curbed" my bumper 20 times....I did it again an hour ago. Not bad scratches though and I do have to kneel down to see them so I consider that this is just inevitable and accept the out come....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I try to back in, because I have been a victim many times. Then you need to be careful you dont' bottom out your tail pipes....been there/done that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts