Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year. Is anyone else out there looking for snow tires and finding it an expensive, daunting task? After some preliminary research, I am told I have to purchase 17" wheels and then the 17" snows. Does anybody know of a good snow tire that will fit 225/60/18? What is everyone else who lives in the north doing to their Cs for their winter driving? I look to this forum first for answers as you have never let me down and given me great advice. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm sticking with the originals

I am going to try out the original continentals that came with the car. They are supposed to be all weather and perform very well in the snow. I am in the Boston area, so snow removal goes relatively smoothly up here and don't forsee any issues.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why not try to drive this car without snowtires to see how the car handles. I have never used snowtires and with the technology of this car, none should be needed. It might help to take a winter driving course from a recognized driving school if you feel uncomfortable, and I don't mean this as a smart mouth comment.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
As someone who spent the first 10 years plus of driving in NE Ohio blizzards, I don't see why people don't get snow tires as a matter of course...regardless of driving skill and/or technology. For a relatively small outlay, I would (and did) always spring for a set of wheels and dedicated snow tires while living up there. Not only do they give that added margin of safety, but your 'summer' wheels don't end up all pitted, dinged, and corroded from road chemicals, ice chunks, and other debris not known until you have already driven over it while buried under inches of snow.

To each his/her own, but why not? Kind of like people who opt for protection packages, side curtain air bags, etc. and those who don't. Oh well...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have tried Blizzards and Artic Alpine, both worked excellent on my CTS and LS430, but I like the Artic better, a little quieter and a little more hooked up,,,I havent used any snow tires for a while, 30 years, but I will tell ya they have changed big time to the good/great... I feel more comfortable in the cars with winter tyres than my 4x4 Dodge or H2.......

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I had excellent results with Blizzaks on a non TCS 300E, the Blizzak II is supposed to be better. I am going to do a wait and see approach but have a long 1/3 mile steep hill to climb to get home, I hope I don't get caught. I may go with 17" base steel wheel/snow tire combo if available for cost concerns.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just be careful that the 17" will clear the brake rotors. They should since the base cars come with 17", but still .....

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I agree with Mikeyjohn. I live in Ottawa - famous for its long winters with plenty of snow and ice.

I plan to run the stock Contis and see how good all this Mercedes technology is on the 300C.

·
Registered
294 Posts
In MN here....the land of cold and snowy winters. I have NEVER had snow tires and have never had problems.

I am also going to stick with stock tires unless they are horrible, but I don't expect that at all.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm in Winnipeg.....if I have any problems (which I highly doubt) I'll throw some extra weight in the trunk. Try doing THAT with front wheel drive!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nolmscheid said:
In MN here....the land of cold and snowy winters. I have NEVER had snow tires and have never had problems.

I am also going to stick with stock tires unless they are horrible, but I don't expect that at all.
I agree. How many people have had a 70’s something car and drove year around on the tires that came on the car. I’m putting my 18’s back on this winter and if that’s not good enough I’ll look for a winter vehicle.

·
Registered
631 Posts
indyCoder said:
I agree. How many people have had a 70’s something car and drove year around on the tires that came on the car. I’m putting my 18’s back on this winter and if that’s not good enough I’ll look for a winter vehicle.

They kept the same tires and just put the chains on :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm going to wait and see how the all season tires work out, too. We have a 4wd truck that we could use on really bad days.

It used to be that everyone had the same problem on bad roads. They drove accordingly and managed to get by with snowtires, chains or an occasional push. Now, with so many 4wd vehicles on the raod (our town is loaded with Audis, Subarus and 4X4s), one not equiped that way is going to struggle a bit and probably be an annoyance to other drivers who are able to maneuver with more confidence. We'll see how it goes.

One thought I've had is to keep the stock wheels and tires til they're ready for replacement, then mount snowtires on them (maybe the selection will be better by that time) and get new real chrome wheels (18s or 20s) with summer tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jjs said:
As someone who spent the first 10 years plus of driving in NE Ohio blizzards, I don't see why people don't get snow tires as a matter of course...regardless of driving skill and/or technology. For a relatively small outlay, I would (and did) always spring for a set of wheels and dedicated snow tires while living up there. Not only do they give that added margin of safety, but your 'summer' wheels don't end up all pitted, dinged, and corroded from road chemicals, ice chunks, and other debris not known until you have already driven over it while buried under inches of snow.

To each his/her own, but why not? Kind of like people who opt for protection packages, side curtain air bags, etc. and those who don't. Oh well...
My sentiments exactly! So I have purchased the 17 wheels with the Blizzak II tires purchased through tirerack for a little less than 1,300. a small price to pay for a little extra safety.

·
Registered
167 Posts
All seasons have worked without problems for me in the past. I don't plan on changing unless I notice a drastic change in stability, etc. I am more than confident I won't be requiring a change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts